CYCC Qualifiers - Register For The Feb 8 Qualification Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYCC Qualifiers - Register For The Feb 8 Qualification Tournament

EARLY BIRD Registration is now open for the Feb 8, 2020 CYCC Qualification Tournament!

As you may know, to earn the right to play in the CYCC, one has to quality in his or her province of residence. To qualify for the CYCC, 50% score is required, as per the national rules. Our qualification tournament is the best chance for children residing in the GTA and particularly in Oakville to qualify for the CYCC. The CYCC Qualifiers are CFC and FIDE rated tournaments of Standard (“Slow”) chess and provide an opportunity to prepare for the main event in July 2020! Age Categories

U08: Born after Jan 1, 2012 | U10: Born after Jan 1, 2010 | U12: Born after Jan 1, 2008

U14: Born after Jan 1, 2006 | U16: Born after Jan 1, 2004 | U18: Born after Jan 1, 2002 Location & Dates

When: Saturday, February 8th, 2020

Where: Queen Elizabeth Park Community Centre (Multi Purpose Rooms 1 & 2), 2302 Bridge Road, Oakville, Ontario

Rounds @ 9:00 am; 11:30 am; 2:00 pm; 4:00 pm; & 6:30 pm. Format

Swiss system, 5 rounds. Sections can be combined if numbers warrant. FIDE/CFC rated for U18/U16/U14/U12 and CFC rated for U10/U08.

Tiebreaks: Direct Encounter, then Median Buchholz. Time Controls

40 mins/end plus 30 sec Increment – All Age Categories Arbiter

TBD Registration Fees - CLICK TO REGISTER

EARLY Entry fees (Monday Jan 13, 2020 deadline): $45

REGULAR Entry fees (Monday Jan 27, 2020 deadline): $50

LATE Entry fees (Monday Feb 3, 2020 deadline): $55

At the Door/Onsite: $60

Note: Due to capacity constraints, registration will close as soon as we have 60 registered players. So hurry and register EARLY! TOURNAMENT PRIZES – Trophies and/or Medals

Certificate of Qualification for the 2020 CYCC in a corresponding age group. Medals for the top 3 in every age category. The winner of every age category will receive a $100 credit to be applied towards the 2020 CYCC Registration (based on at least 12 registered players in the age category. The amount of credit may be prorated if there are less than 12 players in the category). If player is already registered for the CYCC, cash will be paid upon completion of all rounds of the CYCC.

Water provided.
    Chess equipment and clocks provided.

REGISTER HERE

To learn more, visit https://elevatemychess.com/cyccqualifier/

Hi Ken,
    Questions:
    Will you combine girls/open? If yes, do girls still need 2.5 points to get qualified?

Comment

The standard rated tournament can not have more than 4 games a day. See Rating section in the CFC Handbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen Zhang View Post
        Hi Ken,
        Questions:
        Will you combine girls/open? If yes, do girls still need 2.5 points to get qualified?
        If we don't have enough girls per section, we will combine. If combined, girls may still qualify with less than 50% score if they play against boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          The standard rated tournament can not have more than 4 games a day. See Rating section in the CFC Handbook.

Thanks for this. We will look into this and may have to change to 4 rounds for REGULAR rating or go with slower time control for ACTIVE rating.

Comment

So I don't know whether that still applies. Bob seems ready, willing, and able; to rate such time controls as Active over a single day. Where's that clause?

Thanks, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

So I don't know whether that still applies. Bob seems ready, willing, and able; to rate such time controls as Active over a single day. Where's that clause?
              https://chess.ca/handbook#section-4

"5. have no more than 4 games per day
              Otherwise, events must be submitted for Active/Quick Rating. Rare exemptions may be granted on the recommendation of the Rating Auditor and approved by the CFC Executive [Motion 2012-U Leblanc/McKim]"

imho, it's not a technical issue. Example FIDE does not allow more than two games a day for norm tournaments; but it possible to have 6 games for low (<1600) rated players (min 60 min per game per side and 12 hour period). However for stronger players (at least one >2200) it becomes only 3 games/day.

Long time junior tournaments with even shorter time control were rated as CFC standard.

Comment

Quick vs Regular rating should in theory make little difference. The issue is that most people's quick ratings are not a reflection of their playing strength. I would think that we would want to either have a great quick rating or just go to one system:

1. The 2 resets (in 2012 and 2014?) we had didn't really work due to so many new players. Can we agree on a simple and imperfect annual reset e.g. floor at regular-200? A common problem we have is idealism resulting in inaction. I imagine an annual reset would be practical?

2. If we do not have a great quick rating system, then allow exemptions similar to FIDE for regular rated games per day, e.g. 6 games if all junior or u1600. Alternatively, we could allow unlimited games per day but if greater than 4, with a 50 point rating change cap similar to matches -> it's highly unlikely that rating 5 games a day will ruin the regular rating system.

Comment

https://chess.ca/handbook#section-4

"5. have no more than 4 games per day
                  Otherwise, events must be submitted for Active/Quick Rating. Rare exemptions may be granted on the recommendation of the Rating Auditor and approved by the CFC Executive [Motion 2012-U Leblanc/McKim]"

imho, it's not a technical issue. Example FIDE does not allow more than two games a day for norm tournaments; but it possible to have 6 games for low (<1600) rated players (min 60 min per game per side and 12 hour period). However for stronger players (at least one >2200) it becomes only 3 games/day.

Long time junior tournaments with even shorter time control were rated as CFC standard.
                  Thanks Egis, I couldn't see it at first. Anyway, Bob seems ready, willing, and able; to rate as Standard. If I may suggest, this might be one of those old handbook clauses that's now irrelevant?

I'm not trying to initiate an argument, I'm just pointing out it seems like an imperfect restriction? Anyway, I'll step aside now, I usually only organize very long games that take 3-5 hours each.

Thanks though, I learned something I didn't know.

Comment

Anyway, Bob seems ready, willing, and able; to rate as Standard. If I may suggest, this might be one of those old handbook clauses that's now irrelevant?
                    Actually, when asked I was not aware of this clause (max 4 games).
                    SO, Ken please seek the necessary exemption approvals or change.

Comment

I'm not trying to initiate an argument, I'm just pointing out it seems like an imperfect restriction? .
                      It might become an item during the next CFC meeting.

Comment

It's likely that most of the players will be less than 1600 in ratings so we may then be able to rate as REGULAR for both CFC and FIDE. Otherwise, we will just rate CFC REGULAR.

Comment

CYCC Qualifiers - Register For The Feb 8 Qualification Tournament

EARLY BIRD Registration is now open for the Feb 8, 2020 CYCC Qualification Tournament!

NOTE THAT REGULAR REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS TODAY, JAN 27! REGISTRATION FEES GO UP TOMORROW! SO REGISTER NOW!!

Click on the link below for list of registered players:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

As you may know, to earn the right to play in the CYCC, one has to quality in his or her province of residence. To qualify for the CYCC, 50% score is required, as per the national rules. Our qualification tournament is the best chance for children residing in the GTA and particularly in Oakville to qualify for the CYCC. The CYCC Qualifiers are CFC and FIDE rated tournaments of Standard (“Slow”) chess and provide an opportunity to prepare for the main event in July 2020! Age Categories

U08: Born after Jan 1, 2012 | U10: Born after Jan 1, 2010 | U12: Born after Jan 1, 2008

U14: Born after Jan 1, 2006 | U16: Born after Jan 1, 2004 | U18: Born after Jan 1, 2002 Location & Dates

Where: Queen Elizabeth Park Community Centre (Multi Purpose Rooms 1 & 2), 2302 Bridge Road, Oakville, Ontario

Swiss system, 5 rounds. Sections can be combined if numbers warrant. FIDE/CFC rated for U18/U16/U14/U12 and CFC rated for U10/U08.

Comment

Fred McKim and I put together article 411 in the CFC Handbook in 2012 and it was approved at a Governor's Meeting. There was also some input from the CFC President at that time, Michael Von Keitz.
                            In that article, I recall only two things that were new compared to the previous article 411: mandating the use of chess clocks (I had discovered some junior events did not use clocks) and limiting the number of games in a single day for regular rating.
                            Originally, I proposed that no more than 3 games per day be allowed in a regular rated tournament. The CFC President suggested increasing that to 4 and we agreed.
                            I just don't see that 5 games in a single day is serious chess, more suited to Active rating.
                            Similarly the time control for Regular rating, which has been in place for decades, is there for a reason.
                            Paul Leblanc
                            CFC Rating Auditor
                            Paul Leblanc
                            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Feb 8 CYCC Qualifiers

NOTE THAT THIS EVENT WILL CONTINUE AS PLANNED TOMORROW, FEB 8. KINDLY NOTE THE FOLLOWING CHANGES:

RATING: EVENT WILL ONLY BE RATED CFC REGULAR

NEW TIME CONTROL: 30 MINS PLUS 30 SEC INCREMENT

2ND ROUND WILL START IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE END OF THE 1ST ROUND. 3RD ROUND WILL START AT 2 PM SHARP AND REMAINING ROUNDS IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE COMPLETION OF THE PRIOR ROUND.

SECTIONS WILL BE COMBINED - SECTION A (U-18, U-16, U-14); SECTION B (U-12); SECTION C (U-10, U-08). IT IS POSSIBLE TO QUALIFY FOR THE CYCC IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN 2.5 POINTS, PARTICULARLY, IF YOU PLAY HIGHER RATED PLAYERS IN HIGHER AGE SECTIONS.

ANOTHER CYCC QUALIFIERS IS COMING UP ON SATURDAY, MAR 7 AT THE DOUBLETREE HILTON HOTEL ON DIXIE ROAD, MISSISSAUGA. ROUNDS AND TIME CONTROL WILL BE SIMILAR TO ABOVE. IF YOU WANT TO WITHDRAW FROM THE EVENT TOMORROW, YOU CAN GET A CREDIT TO ATTEND THE MAR 7 EVENT.

Click on the link below for list of registered players:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X