Group Chess Lessons Starting March 2 for 8 Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Chess Lessons Starting March 2 for 8 Weeks

Registration is now open for our Group Lesson classes starting on March 2! We have classes for Level 2 and Level 3 Group Lessons!

Register Here - Level 2

Register Here - Level 3

As you may know, we run small classes of only 6 to a maximum of 12 students. This format works as proven by the success of our past students!

If you're interested in enrolling in a future class, send an email to info@elevatemychess.com.

About our Group Lessons: We introduced Group Lessons for all levels - Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced level players. Our group lessons are like no other as our class sizes are intentionally designed to be small (groups of 6 to 12 students). Lessons are offered for 6 different levels of players:
    • Level 1 Beginner (CFC Rating <600)
    • Level 2 Beginner (CFC Rating 601 - 900)
    • Level 3 Intermediate (CFC Rating 901 - 1200)
    • Level 4 Intermediate (CFC Rating 1201 - 1500)
    • Level 5 Advanced (CFC Rating 1501 - 1800)
    • Level 6 Advanced (CFC Rating 1800 - 2100)

To learn more about our group lessons, visit our website here.

This looks like a wonderful teaching plan: small groups divided by levels. Too much of school chess seems to be babysitting beginners who forget everything between lessons.

Just pondering about teaching in general, I wonder if having half the class time playing each other is educational. I think time is needed to practice the lesson ideas, for example mating with a Queen and King against a King, then adding a pawn.The next week mating with two rooks, than one rook. At Intermediate Level could be themed so that every game this week starts with the same opening. Then, in next week's review of all three or four games some opening ideas are explored. Also nice would be preparing for a tournament that happens just after the classes finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

Just pondering about teaching in general, I wonder if having half the class time playing each other is educational. I think time is needed to practice the lesson ideas, for example mating with a Queen and King against a King, then adding a pawn.The next week mating with two rooks, than one rook. At Intermediate Level could be themed so that every game this week starts with the same opening. Then, in next week's review of all three or four games some opening ideas are explored. Also nice would be preparing for a tournament that happens just after the classes finish.
      The answer is always depends
      Just like any other activities/sports, most of people will quit or stay at certain leisure level. So educators may more focus on keeping the learner with interest on chess, and at the same time, learn something new. The approach you mentioned may fit well for people really have interest in chess like me, but may fail on kids at low age (under 10) like my daughter.

Comment

Working...
      X