Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coronavirus

I lived through SARS, Actually I was in a hospital for a hernia operation at the time.

People wanted us to postpone our Ontario Provincial event that year.

We decided to go ahead. All went well.

One must monitor the situation for sure, but let's not over-react.

Larry

We cannot control how people think especially many players are kids, normally we have 30-40 boards in our club every Wed night, but tonight it's 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      but let's not over-react.
      Of course not, that could cost money.
      Last edited by Brad Thomson; Thursday, 6th February, 2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Of course not, that could cost money.
        So you think we *should* overreact then?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post

So you think we *should* overreact then?
          Thank you for a fair question. I think we should be certain to err on the side of all caution. And if that means risking over-reacting, then yes. Better safe then sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Thank you for a fair question. I think we should be certain to err on the side of all caution. And if that means risking over-reacting, then yes. Better safe then sorry.
            I do intend on playing in Edmonton this weekend. I am a bit of a germophobe and I think shaking hands has to be one of the silliest customs. At first it was done because in Medievil times, people would conceal weapons in their hands, and hence, this was a way of affirming you were not carrying any. Nowadays, it is just a good way to give someone a cold. If you do shake hands, make sure to wash your hands soon afterwards and in the meantime, do not bring your hands to your face. Personally, the custom of bowing seems much more sensible.

Also, people may tell you 'I am not contagious anymore'. People are contagious a day or two before their symptoms manifest themselves, until the day the symptoms are gone. Be aware!

Comment

"I think we should be certain to err on the side of all caution. And if that means risking over-reacting, then yes. Better safe then sorry"

Well, how many Canadians have the virus? How many are dead from it? Do you know?

Each year in Canada, it is estimated that influenza causes approximately: 12,200 hospitalizations and 3,500 deaths.

Shouldn't we be panicking about that? Better safe than sorry after all!

The same things you do to safeguard from 'flu are the things that protect against the corona virus, except for the lack of a vaccine. Do you avoid chess tournaments for fear of 'flu or the common cold. And yes, people do die from colds.

At this point the fear of the new corona virus is almost entirely misplaced. On the other hand low attendance at chess tournaments might reduce the instances of influenza and colds and thus be of some slight benefit, at the expense of the game of chess.

Comment

Ian and Ed, you both make interesting comments. Each individual must decide for themselves what if any precautions they wish to take. Persons who stand to make or lose money depending upon what precautions others take is not in a position to make suggestions in this respect without appearing as if he has a conflict of interests and cares more about his own pocket than he does about the health and the lives of others.

Comment

Why not just call a truce until virus is over. No one shake hands. If you have something wear a mask or get a refund so you don't spread your germs.
                  Last edited by John Brown; Sunday, 9th February, 2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X