Cancelled tournaments worldwide....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coronavirus Announcement by FIDE Qualification Commission

"It is not the responsibility of FIDE to cancel FIDE-rated tournaments in any given Federation. Each Federation may take their own decisions in accordance with their own constitution and statutes regarding FIDE-rated chess within their Federation."

"A number of tournaments have been cancelled by the local or national government while they were in progress; including the recent World Senior Team Championships in Prague. For the avoidance of doubt, rating files with fewer than the registered number of rounds will be permitted for FIDE rating."

Comment

U.S. Championship and U.S. Women’s Championship .

Comment

This is an important message for anyone wishing to play slow LIVE chess games on the internet during the COVID-19 period, and even beyond. Chess Ovation is founding a slow LIVE chess league with games at 45|mate + 45sec and 90|mate + 30sec on Chess.com. Round 1 of the very first tournament will take place Sunday, March 22 @ 00:00EDT - saturday, March 28 @ 23:59EDT. More details in the thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our next 3 «physical» tournaments are:

The «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», May 8-9-10 in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec; 3000$ based on 75 paid entries or more;

The «Sherbrooke OPEN», May 29-30-31 in Sherbrooke, Quebec; 3500$ based on 70 paid entries or more;

The «Quebec OPEN», July 25 -31 in Longueuil, Quebec; 10000$ based on 190 paid entries or more, 5000$ garanteed;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version  Name:	Conception sans titre (93).jpg Views:	73 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	205007
        Sylvain Courtemanche

Comment

Immediately after my post of March 12, both Annex CC and Scarborough CC in Toronto suspended operation for 3 weeks.

Tentative re-opening, subject to review:

Annex CC - Monday, April 6
          Scarborough CC - Thursday, April 9.

Bob A (Ordinary Member)

Comment

Continental events organized by the Confederacion de Ajedrez para America. Mr. Vega has formally notified FIDE today.

Comment

Olympiad / Paralympiad developments.

Comment

The 2020 European Open Ch. in Slovenia.

Comment

2020 Ontario Open scheduled for the Victoria weekend in Sault Ste. Marie was CANCELLED.

Update - 2021 should take place in Sault Ste. Marie.
                  Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Saturday, 21st March, 2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

According to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/, Canada has 241 new case today up from 214 yesterday. As of today, anyone entering PEI from off-Island now has to self-quarantine for 14 days, the other provinces may follow suit.

The situation in Europe is horrible, and near-draconian measures are needed in North America for us not to follow suit. In addition to age, population density seems to play a factor, if you look at the stats for Europe's "tiny" countries.

While I'm only 62, my wife is worried about my health, and even has discouraged me going to the grocery store, as I do have an underlying condition (high blood pressure). In any case, my whole work team is now working from home, so I haven't been really out of the house since last Sunday evening (I somehow managed to get two small chess tournaments in under the wire, last weekend).

The following is just my opinion --> I think it is fair to say all chess tournaments in Canada of more than 4 players are cancelled for at least two months. Things will only return to "normal" when there are just a handful of new cases daily in the country. My next scheduled weekend event is May 30 & 31 - so it is on the cusp.

In the meantime I've moved my chess activities (playing, teaching, and organizing) online (to 3 different servers), even though I have next to no experience doing this.

Fred
                    (from the comfort of his couch today, and now everyday).

Comment

Hang in there Fred, keep positive.

When out and about going into stores, I wear a mask and gloves and use amazon as much as possible.

Fortunately, as this virus cycles through the world there are success stories to note.

We've got to design chess themed masks ...for the next one :))))

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        Hang in there Fred, keep positive.

When out and about going into stores, I wear a mask and gloves and use amazon as much as possible.

Fortunately, as this virus cycles through the world there are success stories to note.

We've got to design chess themed masks ...for the next one :))))
                        I suggest making one in pink that says Isolani in black with the "I" in the shape of a black pawn.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Due to the unfortunate circumstances we are all facing, the 2020 Niagara Falls Open, scheduled for April 18 & 19 has been cancelled. This was done after a lot of discussion. The fact that the venue we have has been shut down, one of the organizers may not be allowed across the border facilitated this decision.

Hopefully there will be a 2021 Niagara Falls Open.

All those who have prepaid their entries will be refunded and those that paid in person will be repaid when I get to see them again.

Take care, be safe and healthy.

John Erickson
                          TD
                          2020 Niagara Falls Open

Comment

The Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo are "rescheduled to a date beyond 2020 but not later than summer 2021."

Comment

Statement from the FIDE Council regarding the Chess Olympiad.

Comment

FIDE statement on the Candidates Tournament.

"The results of the 7 rounds played remain valid, and the tournament will be resumed in the same composition starting with the games of the 8th round."

Comment

Working...
                                X