X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chippawa open chess tournament, May 02, 03

Chippawa Standard Open 2020 Chippawa Active Open 2020
    Saturday, May 02 Sunday, May 03
    Niagara Falls Fire Hall 4, 8696 Banting Ave, Niagara Falls Niagara Falls Fire Hall 4, 8696 Banting Ave, Niagara Falls
    50 minutes plus 10 second increment 30 minutes plus 5 second increment
    4 round Swiss, CFC Regular Rated 5 round Swiss, CFC Quick (Active) Rated
    9:00am, 11:30pm, lunch, 3:00pm, 5:30pm (APPROX ROUND TIMES) 10:00am, 11:30pm, lunch, 2:00pm, 3:30pm, 5:00pm (APPROX ROUND TIMES)
    $50 (until Apr 17th), $60 (until Apr 30th), $70 cash only on site $50 (until Apr 17th), $60 (until Apr30th), $70 cash only onsite
    Elite, U2000, U1600, U1200 (based on entries) Elite, U2000, U1600, U1200 (based on entries)
    Trophies and/or cash (based on entries) Trophies and/or cash (based on entries)
    IRON MAN: ENTER BOTH!
    Entry Fee: $80 (until Apr 17th), $100 (until Apr 30)
    Extra prizes for Iron Man entries
    Contact Info: Gordon Gooding at miltonchess@hotmail.com for registration and enquiries
    Register with 1.valid CFC number, 2.expiry date, 3. payment by e-transfer using contact email
    Look for updates on chesstalk

IN LIGHT OF RECENT DEVELOPMENTS WE HAVE DECIDED TO RESCHEDULE THIS TOURNAMENT TO A LATER DATE TO BE DETERMINED. WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING. STAY SAFE, KEEP YOUR SPIRITS UP, AND HOPEFULLY WE WILL DUEL OVER THE BOARD NOT TOO LONG IN THE FUTURE.
    Last edited by Gordon Gooding; Thursday, 2nd April, 2020, 06:08 AM.

You should have cancelled by now.

Comment

It's not until May...6 or 7 weeks away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        It's not until May...6 or 7 weeks away.
        Hugh, short of the profound unlikelihood of something Biblical this is not going away fast, if at all. It gets worse and worse at a very rapid pace. I think it is time we take this very seriously and cancel everything until this phase of human history passes, if it does. I realize that most people do not want to overreact. My preference is that we do not under-react, and I fear that most people are. I do not understand how any positive purpose can be served by advertising events that are clearly and obviously not going to take place. In particular I believe that it is absurd to ask for discounted entry fees now, with the suggestion that we can be confident of a refund if need be.

It is disgusting that individuals with something to gain financially automatically think we are overreacting, or caution us against overreacting as Larry Bevand did a while ago. These "humans" would put having more money in their pockets ahead of the lives of people.

Wake up, we have a very serious problem.

Comment

Hello there Mr. Thomson. I have read and understand your points. It is several weeks away. I believe there is a chance that maybe the situation may get better by then. Would I bet the farm on it, no. Would I give refunds if we cancel, of course. I have done so in the past. I dont recall if you have played in any of my tournaments have you? Maybe I'm a bit of an optimist. Maybe I can run an online tournament instead? I dont think it is wrong if I reassess in a few weeks and make a decision then if need be. I dont have a crystal ball. Can I borrow yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

It is disgusting that individuals with something to gain financially automatically think we are overreacting, or caution us against overreacting as Larry Bevand did a while ago. These "humans" would put having more money in their pockets ahead of the lives of people.

Wake up, we have a very serious problem.
            Perhaps you should hit the pause button, Brad. In the other coronavirus thread you apologized to Sylvain for insulting him gratuitously. Meanwhile, in this thread, you accuse Larry Bevand of putting money ahead of people's lives. Your behaviour isn't helpful.
            "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
            "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
            "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Pandemics seem to bring out the worst (and perhaps the best) of people... I cannot believe the people I saw yesterday at Costco who were stocking up on toilet paper. I should say they were attempting to stock up - that particular Costco seemed to be implementing a 1 package (of 36? rolls) per person quota. They should have done that a lot sooner, but better late than never. Not sure why the obsession with toilet paper since the virus doesn't seem to have a gastro component.

I am most afraid of stupid people; sadly, that seems to be a rather large group. Don't even get me started on the U.S. and Trump in particular. At least Canada seems to have a measured response based on science (in contrast to a number of other places relying, for example, on Pence et al).

While at the club Wednesday night (the last night before we announced the Mississauga club is closing for rest of March at least) I thought about the pieces we were all removing from the zippered bags. All pieces handled by who knows who? Have they ever been sanitized - I doubt it. I washed my hands before and after each game and we do have a sanitizer station for dispensing hand sanitizer. Small but logical steps - a lot like chess... :)

People all have different knowledge (or lack of), different opinions and different vulnerability. Everyone should take sensible precautions and enforce social distancing as much as practical.

Whatever you do, do not watch the movie Contagion on Netflix - it is shockingly prescient... for a 2011 flick: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Perhaps you should hit the pause button, Brad. In the other coronavirus thread you apologized to Sylvain for insulting him gratuitously. Meanwhile, in this thread, you accuse Larry Bevand of putting money ahead of people's lives. Your behaviour isn't helpful.
                My name is Thomson. :)

As far as Mr. Bevand goes, I accused him of nothing, I simply pointed out what he did. I will not go off in search of the thread, but unless it has been conveniently deleted, it should not be too far back in the archives.

Comment

When the virus was just coming from China there was hope of containing it. Now that most new cases are coming into Canada from the US, the wild west, it is going to be a 3-month explosion with over 50,000 dead. Seniors should avoid chess tournaments for the next while.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    When the virus was just coming from China there was hope of containing it. Now that most new cases are coming into Canada from the US, the wild west, it is going to be a 3-month explosion with over 50,000 dead. Seniors should avoid chess tournaments for the next while.
                    That's an interesting comment and prediction. I found a website that lists the total cases by country and also a stat of "doubling in number of days".
                    I am in particular focused on Canada vs. USA. The data as of yesterday, March 14 at 10am was

USA 1,678 total cases and doubling in 3 days.
                    Canada 176 total cases and doubling in 4 days.

So given USA is 10 times the population of Canada, this indicates we have about the same infection rate. However, there is a lot of skepticism as to the reliability of the data. Duh...
                    Canada 4 days vs. USA 3 days, means our "slope" is less, that's good.

BTW, global total cases stands at 142,539 as of yesterday at 10am.
                    Using the data on this site, I project the total cases today at 10am will be 158,578 globally. But no update as of now. We'll see.

It will be interesting to see how each country does going forward. Just how much can we learn from the stats and just how reliable is it?

Thanks to Aris for that website he provided. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Sunday, 15th March, 2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Using the data on this site, I project the total cases today at 10am will be 158,578 globally. But no update as of now. We'll see.
                      156 400 at this moment according to https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Still no today's results from Ontario at https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-nov...irus#section-0

Comparing US and CAN --- they already have spreading. We still contain it, and most of the cases are imports. Soon many snowbirds will start move North, and might bring more cases here with possibility of an outbreak.

Comment

That's an interesting comment and prediction. I found a website that lists the total cases by country and also a stat of "doubling in number of days".
                        I am in particular focused on Canada vs. USA. The data as of yesterday, March 14 at 10am was

USA 1,678 total cases and doubling in 3 days.
                        Canada 176 total cases and doubling in 4 days.

So given USA is 10 times the population of Canada, this indicates we have about the same infection rate. However, there is a lot of skepticism as to the reliability of the data. Duh...
                        Canada 4 days vs. USA 3 days, means our "slope" is less, that's good.

It will be interesting to see how each country does going forward. Just how much can we learn from the stats and just how reliable is it?

Thanks to Aris for that website he provided. Fascinating stuff.

Hello Bob, thanks for your good post.

Which website are you looking at?
                        I'm looking at: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
                        and here's what's posted there now:

total cases = 162,651 (80,363 active + 82,228 closed)
                        active cases = 80,363 (74,708 mild + 5,655 serious [7%]) [this seriousness rate is less than predicted ~10%]
                        closed cases = 82,288 (76,219 recovered + 6,069 deaths [7%]) [this death rate is higher than predicted ~3%]

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Hello Bob, thanks for your good post.

Which website are you looking at?
                          I'm looking at: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
                          and here's what's posted there now:

total cases = 162,651 (80,363 active + 82,228 closed)
                          active cases = 80,363 (74,708 mild + 5,655 serious [7%]) [this seriousness rate is less than predicted ~10%]
                          closed cases = 82,288 (76,219 recovered + 6,069 deaths [7%]) [this death rate is higher than predicted ~3%]
                          My site is here

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

Comment

Thanks! Recommended reading! Good find Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                              Erik, how did you arrive at your 50,000 dead number? Did you get it from some news report or video clip?
                              Is that a number for Canada, USA, or a global number?

Comment

Working...
                              X