CANCELLED: 2020 Kingston Easter Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With respect to any U.S. health care data, when compared to that of Canada, one must constantly remember the major differences between the two countries, with two completely different systems. As many as one-third of Americans, generally those not so well off financially, have virtually no access to health care; the Canadian system offers universal access. What will really test the American system now is their lack of testing capability for COVID-19, as well as their problematic 'public health' coordination, when compared with Canada's public health system, recognized as among the world's best. President Trump has already committed major blunders on this file, possibly accelerating COVID-19 spread and impact.

Returning to the 2020 Kingston festival, now unfortunately cancelled, this is really a major loss for everyone. Aris was a miracle worker last year, putting together a wonderful event in a short time. This year's edition promised to be even better. The CFC needs to find an alternative for determining a women's champion for 2020 -- the Kingston event had a large and competitive women's roster. Potentially the 2020 Canadian Championship could be re-mounted by Aris or another organizer later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      With respect to any U.S. health care data, when compared to that of Canada, one must constantly remember the major differences between the two countries, with two completely different systems. As many as one-third of Americans, generally those not so well off financially, have virtually no access to health care; the Canadian system offers universal access. What will really test the American system now is their lack of testing capability for COVID-19, as well as their problematic 'public health' coordination, when compared with Canada's public health system, recognized as among the world's best. President Trump has already committed major blunders on this file, possibly accelerating COVID-19 spread and impact.

Returning to the 2020 Kingston festival, now unfortunately cancelled, this is really a major loss for everyone. Aris was a miracle worker last year, putting together a wonderful event in a short time. This year's edition promised to be even better. The CFC needs to find an alternative for determining a women's champion for 2020 -- the Kingston event had a large and competitive women's roster. Potentially the 2020 Canadian Championship could be re-mounted by Aris or another organizer later this year.
      Thank you Frank for the kind words. I'm not gonna hide it, as I saw the writing on the wall that we would have to cancel, it was really tearing me up on the inside. Everything was falling into place for at least 40% growth over the first year. Just a few weeks ago, I was calculating how much to raise prizes when we reached 120, 130, 140, etc., and then BAMM, the ground beneath gave away.

Regarding the determining the Women Zonal winner, or equivalent, yes, that is something that Hal and I (and I assume other members of the CFC Executive) are already thinking about. At this stage, any planning is tentative quite simply because no one knows just how long this situation will continue-worsen-alleviate. I hope to be a part of at least making that requirement right for 2020.

And it looks like we're also in personal agreement regarding Trump's mistakes in the U.S. To be honest, I'm also concerned with recent U.K. directions, but it is what it is. Go Social Distancing!!

Comment

Social Distancing vs. COVID-19 (really simple visual article)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Comment

Hi Aris: I think Washington Post has a paywall - so it may be that your article can be seen by subscribers only.

Someone else will have to say, because I have a subscription.

Bob A

Comment

I am a bit less naive about the capabilities of the Canadian medical system. I am sure we can talk about it the next time we converse on the phone just to avoid being overly inflammatory in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi Aris: I think Washington Post has a paywall - so it may be that your article can be seen by subscribers only.

Someone else will have to say, because I have a subscription.

Bob A
              Actually, this particular article is not behind their paywall, it's free to all, try it folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                Of course all payments will be fully refunded. If by e-transfer, please confirm to me by email, the specific email address for me to e-transfer to.

Please appreciate that I have to refund about $30K, with a $3K daily limit, so this might take up to the end of this month to refund everyone.
                I just wanted to take a moment to express that I am quite touched by some of you who, via your request for your refund, are offering funds to help minimize the financial loss that cancelling this event is entailing. This is tremendously gracious on your behalf, and I am trying to call each of you individually (but I also have a 10-year-old at home lol). Thank you very much! And by the way, I've hit my e-transfer $3K limit for the last 24 hours, so there is now a temporary lull in refunds.

Comment

Thank you for taking taking this tough decision Aris! I do support the cancellation and I was pondering if it is wise to let Canada's Elite players gather in one place when the province of Quebec has declared a state of Health Emergency knowing that Ontario has more confirmed cases then Quebec. Under the Quebec Health Emergency decree: all schools, colleges and universities are closed for the next 2 week, all bars and cinema are closed, all indoor gathering of more then 250 persons (except for working) are forbidden... The FQE has issue a guideline requiring that all chess tournaments abide by the 250 persons on the site limit (including arbiters, organizers, spectator, coaches, accompanying persons, HOD, Appeal Committee members, hotel employees... The guidelines also require the cleaning of the chess sets before each round. Today, the limit has been lowered to 30 persons tournament. https://fqechecs.qc.ca/editeur/artic...x.php?id=14194

Instead of debating whether or not we will cancel, we can debate about how we will choose our World Cup representatives and explore possibles postponement when the health situation will have improved. The core problem is that the situation is unlikely to resolve itself in a timely manner.and that there may be no World Cup or all Canadians could be barred from travelling,

Comment

I think the U.S. has suggested no gatherings of more than ten people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre Denommee View Post
                      Thank you for taking taking this tough decision Aris! I do support the cancellation and I was pondering if it is wise to let Canada's Elite players gather in one place when the province of Quebec has declared a state of Health Emergency knowing that Ontario has more confirmed cases then Quebec. Under the Quebec Health Emergency decree: all schools, colleges and universities are closed for the next 2 week, all bars and cinema are closed, all indoor gathering of more then 250 persons (except for working) are forbidden... The FQE has issue a guideline requiring that all chess tournaments abide by the 250 persons on the site limit (including arbiters, organizers, spectator, coaches, accompanying persons, HOD, Appeal Committee members, hotel employees... The guidelines also require the cleaning of the chess sets before each round. Today, the limit has been lowered to 30 persons tournament. https://fqechecs.qc.ca/editeur/artic...x.php?id=14194

Instead of debating whether or not we will cancel, we can debate about how we will choose our World Cup representatives and explore possibles postponement when the health situation will have improved. The core problem is that the situation is unlikely to resolve itself in a timely manner.and that there may be no World Cup or all Canadians could be barred from travelling,
                      Thank you Pierre for the supportive words!

We really did try to ensure that we weren't over-reacting, and also had to balance that with people needing lead time to plan their lives. However, at some point, the sheer math pointed us to Public Health experts (we have some fortunate contacts), and they're all telling us that the decisions for the next 4-8 weeks won't even be close decisions. And almost all chess folk support us.

Regarding what to debate, I am proud that our chess community seems largely on the same page. Hal and I are discussing replacement plans, especially for the Women Zonal, but to be realistic, it'll be rather indefinite trying to plan anything before we see the light at the end of the COVID-19 tunnel. I'm very motivated to save what we can, and to continue Organizing chess.

Take care Pierre. Go Social Distancing!!
                      Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 16th March, 2020, 07:49 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I chose medical expertise over anyone's shoes. In the doctor's words: "this is going to last a long time"
                        The correct approach. Choosing an arbitrary date is improper, it is best to allow events dictate.
                        Last edited by Dark Knight; Wednesday, 18th March, 2020, 12:26 AM. Reason: Inappropriate

Comment

Irina Krush has reported that she has the virus and in Iran FA Shabram Goharchin died. On the other hand Levon Aronian's wife is in critical condition after a car crash.

Comment

Hi Aris,
                            My boy attended Kingston tournament last year and it was so well-organized. Not only him but also the whole family had a lot of fun there. He felt very sad when he knew the game is cancelled. Hope it could resume when things get better. Wish you safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wang View Post
                              Hi Aris,
                              My boy attended Kingston tournament last year and it was so well-organized. Not only him but also the whole family had a lot of fun there. He felt very sad when he knew the game is cancelled. Hope it could resume when things get better. Wish you safe!
                              Thank you very much for the kind words Chris. Yes, it was very difficult to have to cancel, we had already put so much effort into it. But these events will come back. Hope to see you again.

Comment

Working...
                              X