Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation of an online slow LIVE chess league

Hello everyone,

This is an important message for anyone wishing to play slow LIVE chess games during the COVID-19 period, and even beyond. Chess Ovation is founding a slow LIVE chess league with games at 45|mate + 45sec and 90|mate + 30sec. Round 1 of the very first tournament will take place Sunday, March 22 @ 00:00EDT - saturday, March 28 @ 23:59EDT. More details in the thread.

Our next 3 physical tournaments are:

The «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», May 8-9-10 in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec; 3000$ based on 75 paid entries or more;

The «Sherbrooke OPEN», May 29-30-31 in Sherbrooke, Quebec; 3500$ based on 70 paid entries or more;

The «Quebec OPEN», July 25 -31 in Longueuil, Quebec; 10000$ based on 190 paid entries or more, 5000$ garanteed;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version  Name:	Conception sans titre (93).jpg Views:	73 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	205007
    Sylvain Courtemanche

The games will be played on Chesscom. The player's identifier must include his full name. We will play "negotiated" games, that is, matched players will have to agree on the time and date of their game. A negotiation forum will be created for each pair of players and a moderator will manage. The moderator will ensure that the strict negotiation protocol (coming soon) will be respected by the players. A round will last a week, the time necessary for players to agree on a date / time and play. In order to facilitate negotiation, players must live in the Americas and must be members of a national federation. A special rating will be assigned to the FQE. Membership fees will apply:

25$ CAN / month; 60$ CAN / 3 months; 100$ CAN / 6 months; 150$ CAN / 1 year
    Payment to ovationechiqueenne@gmail.com More details to follow.

Comment

I have expressed my opinion on your plans for over the board tournaments whilst the world is in crisis, but this online initiative seem excellent to me, and I do wish you success with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
        I have expressed my opinion on your plans for over the board tournaments whilst the world is in crisis, but this online initiative seem excellent to me, and I do wish you success with it.
        I'm a little confused though, why not just join chess.com (for example) directly, and play people there around the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I'm a little confused though, why not just join chess.com (for example) directly, and play people there around the world?
          A special rating will be assigned to the FQE
          - doesn't this imply the online live games will be rated by the FQE? More details would be useful for sure...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The point is that trying to play 45min | mate + 45 second increment, or 90min | mate + 30 second, is problematic on the internet. First the waiting time may be very long before one answers your challenge. Ane there is the lack of seriousness shown by some players who don't always understand that when someone offers 90|30, someone means it. And the lack of a stakes implies that the opponent would resign a pawn down after 10 moves.

We are going to organize what we call «negotiated» tourneys. This means that the players will have to negotiate in order to find a common suitable time slot to play a slow game. For this to be possible, a round will last one full week so that the players have enough time to agree and play. The players will have to observe a Negotiation Protocol and use a Forum managed by a moderator. There will be a rating at FQE for slow LIVE online games.
            Last edited by Sylvain Courtemanche; Tuesday, 17th March, 2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

The world is in crisis. But if we cancel everything in advance, there will be an enormous gap on the calendar with no slow chess tournaments. The government of Ontario has closed the schools for 3 weeks. In Quebec, it's 2 weeks.

Organizing a slow chess week-end event takes time. Chess Ovation is supposed to organize 6 of those, the closest in time being the «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», on May 8-9-10. Again, what we say is: sign up. If cancellation, we refund. We reserve the right to cancel as late as 3 days before the beginning of a tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvain Courtemanche View Post

The point is that trying to play 45min | mate + 45 second increment, or 90min | mate + 30 second, is problematic on the internet. First the waiting time may be very long before one answers your challenge. Ane there is the lack of seriousness shown by some players who don't always understand that when someone offers 90|30, someone means it. And the lack of a stakes implies that the opponent would resign a pawn down after 10 moves.

We are going to organize what we call «negotiated» tourneys. This means that the players will have to negotiate in order to find a common suitable time slot to play a slow game. For this to be possible, a round will last one full week so that the players have enough time to agree and play. The players will have to observe a Negotiation Protocol and use a Forum managed by a moderator. There will be a rating at FQE for slow LIVE online games.
                OK, but chess.com already has "Clubs" like:
                - "Slow Chess League"
                - "World Standard Time Control Chess Club 365 Days a year"
                each with thousands of members already.

I admit that I haven't tried them in a while, but maybe they already have decent events going.
                And I can't see the FQE/CFC accepting online games for Regular/Standard/FQE-Lente ratings.
                Finally, aren't you asking for more money than decent direct chess.com subscription options?

My regrets if I'm not getting this, but maybe it would be a good idea to have a new webpage FAQ?

If this can work, then I wish you the best!

Comment

Just to share some experience about online slow chess experience, you guys can check http://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=can, you will see some tournaments organized by FOCC, this organization has been doing online slow chess (90+30 for crown section, 45+45 for most sections, 30 for lower rating sections) for a few years. It's one game per week. This is based on real name, and CFC/USCF rating. People communicate via a group chat for chess.com ID and set up game time. All bye requests and result reporting via google form. FOCC volunteers did a great job in past years.

Another example is the two (Spring Break Week 1/Pacific in chess-results.com) we just started last weekend as all juniors out of school, so we started two daily slow chess (60+5) tournament (fixed time 10am and 1pm EST) to cover both east and west North American. As most of the people we play in FOCC 1600-1900 section, we do not need real name anymore, we register chess.com ID as registration name. Similar to FOCC, all bye requests and result reporting via google form. The fixed time and chess.com ID as registration name helped to reduce the communication, just go online and find your opponent.

The current Spring Break tournament will be in round 5 tomorrow, and we plan to start another 9 rounds tournament from Friday with single tournament (1pm EST) via another chess pairing platform (so people can do registration/bye request/pairing/check result in one website).

As online chess tournament organizer, I can see people do not care too much about rating, as long as there is good players, people like to join.

Comment

- "Slow Chess League"

I admit that I haven't tried them in a while, but maybe they already have decent events going.
                    And I can't see the FQE/CFC accepting online games for Regular/Standard/FQE-Lente ratings.
                    Finally, aren't you asking for more money than decent direct chess.com subscription options?

My regrets if I'm not getting this, but maybe it would be a good idea to have a new webpage FAQ?

I find these don't often work and the leagues are very hard to get involved in

Comment

Hello everyone,

This is an important message for anyone wishing to play slow LIVE chess games during the COVID-19 period, and even beyond. Chess Ovation is founding a slow LIVE chess league with games at 45|mate + 45sec and 90|mate + 30sec. Round 1 of the very first tournament will take place Sunday, March 22 @ 00:00EDT - saturday, March 28 @ 23:59EDT. More details in the thread.

Our next 3 physical tournaments are:

The «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», May 8-9-10 in St-Hyacinthe, Quebec; 3000$ based on 75 paid entries or more;

The «Sherbrooke OPEN», May 29-30-31 in Sherbrooke, Quebec; 3500$ based on 70 paid entries or more;

The «Quebec OPEN», July 25 -31 in Longueuil, Quebec; 10000$ based on 190 paid entries or more, 5000$ garanteed;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version Name:	Conception sans titre (93).jpg Views:	73 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	205007
                      Sylvain Courtemanche
                      I would be very interested in doing this could you send me an email on how I could go about registering? reach me at henryhughes109@gmail.com

Comment

- "Slow Chess League"

«The World Standard Time Control Chess Club 365 Days a year» has not worked well. They had a different formula that proved to be dysfunctional. They were organizing tournaments at each and every hour of the day - 24 hours a day -. The problem with it is that it may suit you well to start a game @, let us say, 2:20PM, but not 2:00PM or 3:00PM. The system that we are promoting allows the paired players to fine tune by negotiating.

Our league will work roughly the same way as the Slow Chess League (SCL). I have played in it and, some years ago, was also managing / promoting the «Slow LIVE Chess Association» (SLCA) on Chess.com. Both the SCL and the SLCA were using the same formula. However, the fact that anyone could participate without paying anything made the percentage of no show to play rather high in both leagues, that is, around 20%. Given that the players will have to pay something to participate, we believe that the number of no show should be lower, as a suspension or a banishment may result of not showing up to play..

Another issue with the Slow Chess League is that anyone from all over the world can participate. When comes the time for the two players to agree on a common suitable time slot to play, it becomes difficult when there is 7, 10 or 12 hours that separate the players. We are planning on something where only the players in the Americas would play.

I can confirm that the FQE will have a special rating for slow games played on the internet when the tournaments are organized by us, at least. I talked to Richard Bérubé over the phone this afternoon.

We are going to revisite the registration fees for all this.

Thanks for your interest!

Regards,
                        Sylvain Courtemanche
                        Last edited by Sylvain Courtemanche; Wednesday, 18th March, 2020, 12:05 AM.

Comment

The world is in crisis. But if we cancel everything in advance, there will be an enormous gap on the calendar with no slow chess tournaments. The government of Ontario has closed the schools for 3 weeks. In Quebec, it's 2 weeks.

Organizing a slow chess week-end event takes time. Chess Ovation is supposed to organize 6 of those, the closest in time being the «Maskoutain Ouvert d'Échecs», on May 8-9-10. Again, what we say is: sign up. If cancellation, we refund. We reserve the right to cancel as late as 3 days before the beginning of a tournament.
                          In light of the gravity of the problem facing mankind, this argument is pathetic. The likes of yourself, Larry Bevand, and even the IOC it appears, do not seem to get it. People are now being placed ahead of money throughout the world, except that is in your puny world and that of a few insensitive, disrespectful, greedy others. The NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, CHL and almost all other sporting organizations have seen fit to cancel/postpone. Euro 2020 has become Euro 2021. Their logistics exceed yours by an almost infinite degree. Wake up man, be a human. For the sake of a few bucks guys like yourself and Larry Bevand are showing their true colours to the world.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kKfFsSxS4

Comment

In light of the gravity of the problem facing mankind, this argument is pathetic. The likes of yourself, Larry Bevand, and even the IOC it appears, do not seem to get it. People are now being placed ahead of money throughout the world, except that is in your puny world and that of a few insensitive, disrespectful, greedy others. The NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, CHL and almost all other sporting organizations have seen fit to cancel/postpone. Euro 2020 has become Euro 2021. Their logistics exceed yours by an almost infinite degree. Wake up man, be a human. For the sake of a few bucks guys like yourself and Larry Bevand are showing their true colours to the world.
                              You think that the end of the world is about to happen and I don't. You think that we should decide to close everything in advance for months, or even years to come, and I don't. You would probably like that everyone shares your hypocondriac, apocalyptic vision of the recent events, but they don't. You too are showing your true colors, not only me. But reading all the posts here and in other forums, I don't think the world perceives Larry, me and «others alike», as you say, the way you hope they should.

Comment

Working...
                              X