Canadian Open 2020: some ideas to make it happen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open 2020: some ideas to make it happen!

Perhaps this tournament could happen, if players wear gloves, move away from the board when it is not their move, have organizers arrange tables further apart, expand spectator distances, and take other common-sense measures, to combat COVID-19. We still have more than two months to the scheduled dates. Is there a chess enthusiast member at Queen's Park? Kingston and the Islands MPP Ian Arthur, a good friend of mine, likes the game and plays a bit.

Whether this happens or not will very much depend on the situation on the ground and the rulings of the medical and government authorities. I don't see how a pattern of circulation would not exacerbate the potential for spreading the virus. We might be able to play in person on computers with all participants socially distanced and arbiters patrolling to make sure that Fritz is not employed.

Comment

Thanks, Vlad. Ontario is the second-hardest-hit province, after Quebec. But in recent days, Ontario's resolved cases have out-numbered new cases. That is a good trend!

Comment

In the early 80's they said no smoking chess tournaments were impossible...and today they are the standard...so who knows what the future will bring...

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
          Whether this happens or not will very much depend on the situation on the ground and the rulings of the medical and government authorities. I don't see how a pattern of circulation would not exacerbate the potential for spreading the virus. We might be able to play in person on computers with all participants socially distanced and arbiters patrolling to make sure that Fritz is not employed.
          Hi Vlad,

What is the expected date for announcing if the CYCC will go ahead? Does it need to be a single decision with Canadian Open?

Comment

Could the Canadian Open not be played online? I recently participated in the Sunway Sitges online tournament hosted on chess.com at classical time controls. I thought it was a success. You'd think that such a geographically large country like Canada might lead the way in getting participation from sea to sea to sea by holding its national Open online?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Hsu View Post
              Could the Canadian Open not be played online?
              Yeppers and it should be, in these challenging and rewarding times.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post

Hi Vlad,

What is the expected date for announcing if the CYCC will go ahead? Does it need to be a single decision with Canadian Open?
                That is currently in the hands of the organizer and local authorities. I would expect that the progress of the pandemic in Canada and within Mississauga will have the most bearing on whether the tournament takes place this year or not. There are provinces who seem to require a 14 day lockdown for travel from other parts of Canada.

https://www.insauga.com/mississauga-...p-until-july-3

https://paramountfinefoodscentre.com/update-covid-19/

My own feeling is that it will be cancelled or postponed based on the data and progress so far. Currently municipal buildings are closed in Peel/Mississauga.

https://www.peelregion.ca/coronaviru...d-services.asp
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Monday, 11th May, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Hsu View Post
                  Could the Canadian Open not be played online? I recently participated in the Sunway Sitges online tournament hosted on chess.com at classical time controls. I thought it was a success. You'd think that such a geographically large country like Canada might lead the way in getting participation from sea to sea to sea by holding its national Open online?
                  The only way we could hold it online would be as an active rated event. As others have pointed out online cheating is a serious issue.

Rohan Talukdar just played in an online tournament in Spain or Europe and related to me that there was a 1900 player in the open event who thrashed a 2600 player and was promptly bounced for cheating.

Comment

At present the CFC has agreed to have online events rated as CFC Quick (Active) Chess Rated. I have organized two so far, and another was "held in Brantford" on Saturday. Right now I think we are a long way from allowing an event like the Canadian Open being held over the Internet -- we would need to have several trial events ahead of time. The longer the time control, the easier cheating becomes. Would we require players to use Skype / Zoom to see what their opponent is doing -- what would we do though for a bathroom break or for a stroll around the playing room, etc. Personally I don't think we can ever offer "large" prize funds in open online events.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

The only way we could hold it online would be as an active rated event. As others have pointed out online cheating is a serious issue.

Rohan Talukdar just played in an online tournament in Spain or Europe and related to me that there was a 1900 player in the open event who thrashed a 2600 player and was promptly bounced for cheating.
                      Not saying the Canadian Open should be part of it but the FQE just announced they were creating 2 new "online ratings" (slow time control + rapid). I like the idea.

Comment

If you are going to have players with masks and Gloves. It will be trouble. I don't know how many of you have to wear a mask for long periods of time but I can tell you long periods of time wearing one they get hot they get itchy and gloves can get sweaty. They would not be ideal for long chess games OTB. also they get touched far more when you wear them long times. they would be nightmares for juniors. And frankly they are hard to breathe through for prolonged times. You cannot just lift them up to drink beverages because they have to be readjusted. I think it would be a epidemic in the making. I'm still on the front lines in the grocery store. If you need water drink tap water. Just don't come out for one item. You are very foolish. That one stupid trip could cost you your life. Stay Safe.

Comment

I find that the regular masks are manageable for significant periods of time. The 95% efficient ones don't allow enough air circulation and are hard to wear for extended periods. Masks are not really effective in protecting you but are effective in protecting everyone from you by preventing open sneezes.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                            If you are going to have players with masks and Gloves. It will be trouble. I don't know how many of you have to wear a mask for long periods of time but I can tell you long periods of time wearing one they get hot they get itchy and gloves can get sweaty. They would not be ideal for long chess games OTB. also they get touched far more when you wear them long times. they would be nightmares for juniors. And frankly they are hard to breathe through for prolonged times. You cannot just lift them up to drink beverages because they have to be readjusted. I think it would be a epidemic in the making. I'm still on the front lines in the grocery store. If you need water drink tap water. Just don't come out for one item. You are very foolish. That one stupid trip could cost you your life. Stay Safe.
                            good post John

Comment

Gloves are pretty useless as you can still touch your face with a glove and that is the engine of transmission.

Comment

Working...
                              X