FIDE Online Competitions for People with Disabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE Online Competitions for People with Disabilities

New initiatives of the FIDE Commission for the Disabled.

I don't understand the segregation of disabled from able-bodied players for online chess. I could be playing a game online, and my opponent could be an amputee, deaf, or even blind, and I wouldn't know. And with so many anonymous names used on chess servers - you could be playing one - or someone of the opposite gender - without ever knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
      I don't understand the segregation of disabled from able-bodied players for online chess. I could be playing a game online, and my opponent could be an amputee, deaf, or even blind, and I wouldn't know. And with so many anonymous names used on chess servers - you could be playing one - or someone of the opposite gender - without ever knowing.
      Yeah, I had a similar initial reaction. Maybe the feeling is to simply replicate the OTB segregation during this temporary period?

But then again, I don't like almost any segregation in OTB chess. My one big exception is level of ability, I support rating classes.

Comment

Direct registration of disabled chess players with FIDE has started. Canadian players who missed the registration via the CFC for any reason are now able to register directly through DIS and to take part in their online events, including the upcoming First FIDE Junior Online Cup for Players U20 with Disabilities.

Comment

Working...
        X