COVIDS-19 Rating Incentive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVIDS-19 Rating Incentive

The CFC has introduced an initiative to encourage participation in CFC rated Internet chess tournaments.
    Details are on the CFC discussion forum. http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/forum.php
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Great idea to deal with rating deflation next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 400 point increase at lower end.

Would it make sense to accompany this initiative with a Quick rating adjustment? I believe the last one (averaging the ratings if higher) was over 5 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Li View Post
      Great idea to deal with rating deflation next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 400 point increase at lower end.

Would it make sense to accompany this initiative with a Quick rating adjustment? I believe the last one (averaging the ratings if higher) was over 5 years ago?
      A Quick Chess Rating Adjustment will be announced and implemented soon.

Comment

Great. Hopefully the popularity of Quick games will pick up and this is the last adjustment for a while.

Comment

I may have an outlier opinion here, but just to give my two cents: personally this would dissuade me from playing in online tournaments as I wouldn't want my OTB rating to increase without properly earning it in that specific environment, as well as having a chance to finally place in a tournament in a low section. I don't play chess for the possible prize money (it makes no sense to do so anyways), but after having spent literally thousands of dollars traveling to 8-9 tournaments last year, it'd be nice to finally do well in a tournament once or twice and help offset some of the tournament costs.

Having my OTB rating potentially increase 200 and jump a section without ever having to play those OTB games in that special environment and also miss out on elusive prize money and prestige of potentially placing in an OTB tournament would actually have me not want to play in any online tournaments for that reason. I'd rather the ratings be completely separate, with no influence on one another. There is also an 800-point rating gap between my online and CFC ratings, which is another reason I will not be playing in any online tournaments until (if) my OTB rating increases by playing OTB.

Comment

Organizers should also consider using FIDE online ratings for their CFC online offerings as this opens up the tournaments to be eligible for significant prizes which are along the lines of free raffles if I am understanding the program correctly.

Comment

Pay attention to the FIDE website and FIDE surveys. They say that they enter your name in a draw. I got a two hour small group class with Vladimir Kramnik just for filling out a survey. At first when notified of the prize I thought someone was trying to scam me but no, after a couple of false starts we had a very enjoyable skype call.

Comment

Tyler, I'm always interested in players' thoughts so thank you for posting.
                The primary aim of the COVID-19 rating incentive is to get some CFC activity going while we wait for OTB chess to resume.
                I expect that the vast majority of players who earn the 200 point bonus will be juniors on the way up. It may even help a little with
                the issue of under-rated juniors. There may be a handful of players like us with well established ratings who benefit but history shows that we
                will quickly pass those points back to the rating pool.
                My modeling is showing a tiny bit of deflation in the system so I'm not too concerned about that.
                Paul Leblanc, CFC Rating Auditor
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

@Paul - Yes, I understand the idea behind it, and it does make logical sense as an incentive. Again, I'm sure my case and opinion is just an outlier and that most juniors would be jumping at the chance of being able to increase their rating (just look at how many juniors play up a section if able). I just thought I'd voice it to show that for me personally it'd have the opposite intended effect.

On a funny note, if the 200 cap was increased, I might actually re-consider. Not that I'd be expecting to jump so much, but the potential of being able to make a substantial increase to my rating would be alluring to me. It's partially the 200 cut-off that dissuades me, but I can understand why that may be put in place to prevent too much change I guess.

One benefit to this whole idea though is that it would shrink Canada. There wouldn't be the issue of geographically separated rating pools (I've heard that BC is quite underrated compared to Eastern Canada, for example), and so being able to play against players from across the country would be awesome, and imagine how many possible rated tournaments one could enter! Perhaps 2 per week! That would be incredible.

Comment

Working...
                  X