CFC membership extensions due to COVID 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC membership extensions due to COVID 19

We are extending CFC Memberships, as it just does not seem appropriate to allow memberships to lapse when there are no events to play.
    The pandemic struck early in March, so the formula will be as follows:

Memberships with an expiry date of 2020/03/01 remain current until we are back to a reasonable level of OTB play.
    Memberships expiring 2020/03/01 will expire on that date and others expiring past that date will be extended for N months (N = number of months between 2020/03/01 and return date).
    New players and those with an expiry date earlier than 2020/03/01 will be required to buy a membership.

​​​​​​or for greater clarity.

Memberships expiring 2020/03/01 will expire on that return date and others expiring past 2020/03/01 will be extended for N months (N = number of months between 2020/03/01 and return date).

Return date being when we are back to a reasonable level of OTB play as determined by the CFC executive.

To illustrate:

Say OTB chess returns Sept 1, then

2020/03/01 becomes 2020/09/01
    2020/04/01 becomes 2020/10/01
    2020/05/01 becomes 2020/11/01
    Etc.

So everyone gets a free pass for shutdown period (March-august) - 6 months

2020/04/01 gets 1 month of membership (Sept) past return date.
    2020/05/01 gets 2 months of membership (Sept-Oct) past return date
    Etc.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 11th June, 2020, 09:40 AM.

I'm having trouble grasping this. Maybe you could give an example.
    We have the BC Senior Championship this coming weekend and half of the players have expired memberships - some from earlier than March 1st, 2020 and some that expired after
    March 1st, 2020. I'm in the middle of collecting renewal fees. Who has to pay?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
      We have the BC Senior Championship this coming weekend and half of the players have expired memberships - some from earlier than March 1st, 2020 and some that expired after
      If their membership expired on or before March 1st, 2020 their membership is expired before Covid hit. If their membership expired on April 1st, it is extended for however long the CFC is shut down (likely 4 to 6 months).

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

If their membership expired on or before March 1st, 2020 their membership is expired before Covid hit. If their membership expired on April 1st, it is extended for however long the CFC is shut down (likely 4 to 6 months).
        A slight correction, Vlad.

Memberships all expire on the 1st of the month. As the shutdown occurred in mid-March (the last CFC rated OTB tournament was 2020/03/15), 2020/03/01 memberships are valid until we are "back". They will expire immediately once this COVID-19 extension is over.

Comment

Sorry Paul. I did add some text to announcement on CFC discussion board to clarify, but neglected to update chesstalk post.
          I have updated it now.

Fred has it right,

memberships expiring March 1 or later, no need to renew now.
          memberships expiring Feb 1 or earlier, need to renew.

Is the BC Senior Championship online or OTB?

Comment

But the CFC isn't totally shut down. We are still rating online active/quick events. Are you telling me that participants do not have to renew their CFC memberships provided they expired after April 1st?
            Paul Leblanc

Comment

Anyone who expired 2020/03/01 will be valid until we declare otherwise. We'll consider this an incentive for online play. If we start having as many online tournaments as we were having OTB events, we can revisit this at that time.

Comment

But the CFC isn't totally shut down. We are still rating online active/quick events.
                Not just online, we'll rate OTB if there are any. Just nobody running OTB at this time.
                We did rate a match this week regular rated. Two guys from Kitchener who play matches on a regular basis.

I see your BC Senior is online and you have 35 registered players. Excellent.

So, if your corner of Canada opens up first for over the board chess, bonus for you.
                Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 11th June, 2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

This is great news as I do have a few players with March 1st, 2020 or later expiry.
                  Paul Leblanc

Comment

Working...
                  X