• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Halldor

Which if any of the following would you employ if you were to start up soon
    Wearing of masks
    Hand sanitizing (perhaps on entry to room)
    Piece sanitizing (perhaps after every game)
    Table and chair sanitization (perhaps after every game)

I know some places have employed two chess sets and the players 2 metres or more apart, but that doesn't seem practical in a serious tournament.
    Gloves?
    Temperature test or certificate of testing?

With the amount of face stroking going on while some are thinking, a mask on for hours would be awkward. Hand touch face than touch pieces; hand touch pieces than face.
    Without mask, fresh droplets on table, board and pieces. A player would have to ask, Do I really want to capture my opponents pieces covered in droplets which may lead to my death?

Also protection from spectators breathing over you, washroom doorknob and tap.Is A/C blowing droplets around? Maybe outdoors safer.

Comment

Yes Erik, maybe this will be the summer of the outdoor chess tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post

Halldor

Which if any of the following would you employ if you were to start up soon
        Wearing of masks
        Hand sanitizing (perhaps on entry to room)
        Piece sanitizing (perhaps after every game)
        Table and chair sanitization (perhaps after every game)

I know some places have employed two chess sets and the players 2 metres or more apart, but that doesn't seem practical in a serious tournament.
        I was hoping that the outbreak would end and we could get back to chess. The RA Center in Ottawa is still closed so we do not have a chess venue.

I was planning to operate as I did pre-Covid-19. BYOB (bring your own barrier) and wash your hands as often as you need to. I was encouraged when I saw that approach taken in Iceland as chess started again.

Comment

For the dangers of a chess tournament, look at what happened in Kingston this week. No cases for a few weeks. Then from one confined space: 16 infected (six of the 10 masked workers and customers, including one who works in a restaurant where it also spread to correctional and construction workers to golf course), over 700 are getting tested.

Note poor distancing and poor cleaning. So, how are chess pieces going to be cleaned?

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            For the dangers of a chess tournament, look at what happened in Kingston this week. No cases for a few weeks. Then from one confined space: 16 infected (six of the 10 masked workers and customers, including one who works in a restaurant where it also spread to correctional and construction workers to golf course), over 700 are getting tested.

Note poor distancing and poor cleaning. So, how are chess pieces going to be cleaned?
            I agree with you Eric. Our eventual restarts seems so daunting (in North America anyway)

Comment

Kingston had two Nails & Spa shops linked to COVID-19 outbreaks.

I think this is not the same as playing chess and it does not change my approach to re-opening. An item on the Croatian Championship at GM Spraggett's website was also helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X