OTB chess in Europe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTB chess in Europe....

Every week I download worldwide games from TWIC (The Week in Chess). The last couple of weeks I've noticed more and more face-to-face events in Europe. When I go to the sites of the events and look at the photos - few (if any) have masks, and they look like normal tournaments. Serbia gets more new COVID cases than Canada every day; Croatia gets more than Ontario - but they are playing OTB chess! The only thing in common with most of the events is one board on a table which would normally accommodate two.

Here's one in progress in Lithuania: https://plungesbokstas.lt/

The Croatian junior team championship (with social distancing - no masks): https://chess-results.com/Fotos.aspx?lan=13&key1=10949

Ceske Budejovice Chess Festival in the Czech Republic (with social distancing - no masks): http://qcc.cz/turnaje/148-sachovy-fe...oval-cely-svet

Ilmar Raud Memorial (Estonia) - with social distancing - no masks: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JnOHI5ekRmdlVR

The "First Saturday" tournaments have resumed in Budapest. (no social distancing; no masks): http://chess-results.com/Fotos.aspx?lan=1&key1=10943

The Biel (Switzerland) festival starts in a couple of days ...

Comment

The 2020 Ikarus International Chess Open has been under way in Greece since July 10.

Organizers and players adhere to the protocols developed by the ECU. Τheodoros Tsorbatzoglou reports that body temperature is measured at an entry point to the playing hall. No spectators or leaving one's table to walk in the aisle (although a photo in the middle tells otherwise :) ).

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ikarus-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	207037
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ikarus-02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.1 KB ID:	207038
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ikarus-03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.5 KB ID:	207039

Comment

Those seem like very well thought out ideas (tournament immediately above). Enforcement is another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          Those seem like very well thought out ideas (tournament immediately above). Enforcement is another issue.
          I guess I'm not getting it. Regardless of most of the measures, aren't sitting three feet apart & repeatedly contacting the same surfaces deal-breakers?

Comment

Some other tournaments in Europe in July:

Polugaevsky Memorial 2020, 9th-19th July,

National Individual Cup Georgi Tringov Memorial 42nd Open, 12th-19th July,

40th International Chess Tournament „Plunge 2020”, 13th-19th July

24th International Chess Festival „The Battle of Senta 1697″, 11th-18th July,

IX festivāls “Vidzemes vasara” Limbažos, 17th-24th July

13th Paleochora Open 2020, 18th-25th July

53rd Biel Chess Festival 2020, 18th-29th July

XVII CHESS FESTIVAL „Jūros šventė – 2020”, 20th-26th July

3rd Summer Festival of Chess in Belgrade 2020, 20th-26th July

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

I guess I'm not getting it. Regardless of most of the measures, aren't sitting three feet apart & repeatedly contacting the same surfaces deal-breakers?
              I suppose both players wearing masks would stop droplet spray. I would have to have on the table hand sanitizer to apply after every piece capture. Perhaps also testing of all players before entering.

Comment

I assumed players wearing masks and the board and pieces sanitized would be enough but Erik is right - table hand sanitizer is necessary. What is the amount of time sanitizer lasts regards the virus? Is sanitizing all the pieces and board at the start of a game going to last 3+ hours?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                  I assumed players wearing masks and the board and pieces sanitized would be enough but Erik is right - table hand sanitizer is necessary. What is the amount of time sanitizer lasts regards the virus? Is sanitizing all the pieces and board at the start of a game going to last 3+ hours?
                  I thought sanitizer reduced existing viral load via the alcohol dissolving membranes. I wasn't aware that it had any significant lasting effect. Some brands say hours, but studies say 2 minutes.

However, I'm not married to this opinion, if anyone has more recent information.

Comment

Working...
                  X