USCF Financials - ​​​​​​​Chuck Unruh Vice President of Finance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCF Financials - ​​​​​​​Chuck Unruh Vice President of Finance

All sectors of the US Chess financial operations were in good standing until a once in one-hundred-year pandemic brought on a sudden stop in the economy. Many over-the-board tournaments were victims of the pandemic, including the spring national events, which had to be canceled. Membership and membership revenue are directly related to these events. Recent monthly reports indicate an approximate membership revenue decrease of 26% for an annualized shortfall estimated at $500K for the upcoming year......

March 2020 was a historic test for our financial teams and investment strategies. Equity and credit markets went into freefall as the U.S. economy came to a sudden stop. US Chess suffered value losses in capital along with the market indexes. However, our portfolios held strong cash equivalent positions, healthcare equities, and bond substitutes that helped insulate them from significant long-term losses. Investments have become an important revenue center in the last three years. US Chess has investment portfolios of approximately $2.8 million and a dividend stream in excess of $50K per year. Fiscal year 2019-20 is at the auditors. Surplus projections indicate a gain of over $200K for the year. The US Chess net assets increased by $480,197 during the year (see graph). US Chess is financially in a very solid position without outside debt. Meanwhile, fiscal year 2019-20 finished with a surplus even with expensing the costs of a Phase I information technology upgrade. Core financial metrics are very good. The future is in the role of leadership turning a global pandemic into productive times for US Chess and its members. US Chess has the platform of experienced management and operations, volunteers with institutional knowledge, proactive leadership, generous sponsors, and financial good health. What more could we ask for—maybe a vaccine before next spring?

Chuck Unruh Vice President of Finance

This can be found at uschess.org

All OTB chess organizations will show a deficit in 20-21.

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Friday, 21st August, 2020, 06:08 PM.

Yes. The question is how bad the bleeding will be.

Comment

Larry, thanks for posting this. As Treasurer for the Chess Foundation of Canada I found it quite interesting.
      Our Foundation is one-eighth the size of the USCF investment fund and our dividend stream is about one-quarter of theirs.
      I believe, however, that there is another pool of investments called the US Chess Trust. Judging by the things they support listed on their website, they are huge.

Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
        Larry, thanks for posting this. As Treasurer for the Chess Foundation of Canada I found it quite interesting.
        Our Foundation is one-eighth the size of the USCF investment fund and our dividend stream is about one-quarter of theirs.
        I believe, however, that there is another pool of investments called the US Chess Trust. Judging by the things they support listed on their website, they are huge.
        Yes, my impression is that their volunteer engagement per capita is enormous (I don't have numbers)

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Yes, my impression is that their volunteer engagement per capita is enormous (I don't have numbers)
          Judging by the number Committees that they have, they indeed have an enormous volunteer engagement. http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/2019-2020CommitteesList.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
            Hi Paul,

Sorry I missed your response to my post.

You are doing a great job!

In my original post (before I did an edit) I was going to point out the same thing...the CFC is very lucky to have you!

At Chess'n Math we are playing super safe with GIC's...which these days give us 1 percent on a good day.

While personally I am invested in the stock market, I would hate for the Association to lose money.

Don't you think we are due for a crash?

(Seeking free advice LOL)

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Larry
              Larry, if you look at the logarithmic very long term Dow Index charts, you would conclude that a prolonged bear market is still somewhat far in the future....

Comment

Larry
                Only if Joe Biden and the Communist party wins.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Sorry I missed your response to my post.

You are doing a great job!

In my original post (before I did an edit) I was going to point out the same thing...the CFC is very lucky to have you!

At Chess'n Math we are playing super safe with GIC's...which these days give us 1 percent on a good day.

While personally I am invested in the stock market, I would hate for the Association to lose money.

Larry
                  A friend of mine got out of the market about 20 years ago, because he was afraid of the inevitable crash. He was right, but of course very wrong, because the market so far has always bounced back. I do not know much about the market, but it is impossible to time. When attending an insurance seminar in the early 2000's, the speaker said technological advances always cause the market to perform well, even with the occasional bear market. Having said all that, I keep most of my money in mutual funds, so I can sleep at night!

Comment

https://www.getsmarteraboutmoney.ca/...tual-fund-fee/

Comment

The Chess Foundation has one huge advantage over an individual investor. Its time frame is infinite. No need to worry about short term fluctuations.
                      Ordinary individuals need to consider if they will live long enough to wait for their investments to overcome a severe decline.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Alex, thanks for this link...I took a look...and it is important to know what one is paying in fees....Ibut if you are making a great return, fees become a minor part of the equation.

Comment

Good point Paul!

Since I am talking about CMA money so it is long term. I understand September is a bad month for the stock market :).

Last edited by Larry Bevand; Thursday, 10th September, 2020, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X