A Chess'n Math rated online tournament tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Chess'n Math rated online tournament tomorrow

73 players already registered...not too late to register...

https://chess-math.org/event/first-o...ournament-fall

I've often noticed that the turnout for the Toronto-organized online tournaments is much higher than the Montreal/Ottawa ones, and many of the Toronto kids don't play in the Montreal tournaments.

For OTB, this would be expected, I guess, since Toronto seems to have the most active chess scene. But, online?

I checked the CMA website, and found that if a user selects a city, say Toronto, then other cities' tournaments don't show up on the home page. For example, if I select Toronto ( at the base of the page : https://chess-math.org/?field_succursale=47 ) , then only the Oct 25th Toronto tournament shows up on the home page, even though the Montreal tournament is earlier. i.e Oct 18th , tomorrow. Compounding things, this setting is also saved as a cookie, apparently; thus, any future visits to even the main page will use the same city-setting.

This behavior may have been fine for a OTB-first world, but not so much for an online-first world, IMHO.

Thus, we may want to fix the website, so that the first upcoming online tournament, irrespective of organizing city, is shown on the homepage ; I wouldn't be surprised if it helps increase overall participation. Of course, regular emails about all upcoming tournaments would really help too.
    Last edited by Amit R; Saturday, 17th October, 2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Larry Bevand the 4th round and 5th round schedule is a bit tight, it's common to see 15+5 may need 40minutes for two top players in 4th round. Better to shift the 5th round by 10minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post
        Thus, we may want to fix the website, so that the first upcoming online tournament, irrespective of organizing city, is shown on the homepage ; I wouldn't be surprised if it helps increase overall participation. Of course, regular emails about all upcoming tournaments would really help too.
        Agree, and I got emails regarding tournament in Montreal, just the email mainly in French, this could be another factor to consider, many Toronto parents already struggling for English as second language, French will be a barrier for them.

Comment

Thanks for your constructive feedback Amit and Grey!

We will implement your excellent suggestions this week...your points make lots of sense :).

We will have 93 players for today's event.

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
            Thanks for your constructive feedback Amit and Grey!

We will implement your excellent suggestions this week...your points make lots of sense :).

We will have 93 players for today's event.

Larry
            CMA Toronto's Annual Halloween Tournament takes place online this
            coming Sunday October 25th, from 1-5 pm. As always we have a free
            practice event (to familiarise participants with online play), the
            evening before i.e. on Saturday Oct. 24th from 6 pm.

Details on our website. Registration is also available here:
            https://chess-math.org/cma-online-chess-tournament

Participants are encouraged to wear Halloween costumes, displayed
            through the tournament's Zoom portal which will be live on the day.

There will be special prizes for the best Halloween costumes!

Pre-Registered List is posted here:
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1690258674

Best of luck!

Francis Rodrigues, LLB - Regional Director
            Strategy Games & The Chess'n Math Association
            tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
            701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4

fax: 416-486-4637; website: www.chess-math.org

Comment

Francis Rodriguez how do you know the people in costume is the real kid, another case only for online tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post

CMA Toronto's Annual Halloween Tournament takes place online this
                coming Sunday October 25th, from 1-5 pm. As always we have a free
                practice event (to familiarise participants with online play), the
                evening before i.e. on Saturday Oct. 24th from 6 pm.

Details on our website. Registration is also available here:
                https://chess-math.org/cma-online-chess-tournament

Participants are encouraged to wear Halloween costumes, displayed
                through the tournament's Zoom portal which will be live on the day.

There will be special prizes for the best Halloween costumes!

Pre-Registered List is posted here:
                https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1690258674

Best of luck!

Francis Rodrigues, LLB - Regional Director
                Strategy Games & The Chess'n Math Association
                tel: 416-488-5506; 416-486-3395; 647-232-6014 (cell)
                701 Mt. Pleasant Road, Toronto, ON, M4S 2N4

fax: 416-486-4637; website: www.chess-math.org
                How many sections will there be?
                Last edited by Victor Xu; Thursday, 22nd October, 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Xu View Post

How many sections will there be?
                  up to 20 for each section, we may expect 5 or 6 sections

Comment

just want to clarify, I am not the organizer of CMA tournament, instead, a parent of player. The number of sections is based on the tournament information and pre-registration list.

For CMA tournament, we may cannot just compare the prize and entrance fee for specific tournament. for example, there is annual excellence award for whole country, 10000 for this year. And normally there are also cost for CCC every year.
                    Last edited by Dark Knight; Monday, 26th October, 2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X