Say No to Chess Principles! by Evgeny Bareev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say No to Chess Principles! by Evgeny Bareev

I no longer collect chess books. I do, however, buy books I would like to read. This is one of those books. It is one of the most fun chess books I have read in quite some time. 7 chapters, each with games of a particular theme. Many games and opponents are not from the mainstream we are accustomed to. Bareev was a very strong player, twice rated # 4 in the world & world U-16 Champion in 1982. He is outspoken with pithy comments that are funny, direct and often self-deprecating. There are loads of diagrams which allowed me to follow the games without a board. Often, he comments on the Russian System of developing chess players. I don’t sell books and I don’t know Mr. Bareev, a recent Canadian who has represented Canada at the Olympics. I just wanted to tell you how good this book is!

Thank you so much, Ken, for sharing your thoughts on this book ; I hope to buy it some day.

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
    I no longer collect chess books. I do, however, buy books I would like to read. This is one of those books. It is one of the most fun chess books I have read in quite some time. 7 chapters, each with games of a particular theme. Many games and opponents are not from the mainstream we are accustomed to. Bareev was a very strong player, twice rated # 4 in the world & world U-16 Champion in 1982. He is outspoken with pithy comments that are funny, direct and often self-deprecating. There are loads of diagrams which allowed me to follow the games without a board. Often, he comments on the Russian System of developing chess players. I don’t sell books and I don’t know Mr. Bareev, a recent Canadian who has represented Canada at the Olympics. I just wanted to tell you how good this book is!

Comment

Thanks Ken. Great review and I really enjoyed it.

Comment

I enjoyed it as well.

Comment

I don't have the paper book yet. I probably won't have it until we are back playing over the board chess and I can visit a Strategy and Games booth or store. I do have the book on ForwardChess.com. I have used a few of the games in lessons.

Comment

Oops! I meant to send a PM about something else. But, I did mean for the 1st post to be here!
            Last edited by Ken MacDonald; Friday, 6th November, 2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
              Oops! I meant to send a PM.
              Still, I appreciated your post, it sounds like the kind of book that could help me break some new ground.

Thanks Ken.

Comment

Working...
              X