GM Bator Sambuev: Player of the Day at chessgames.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Bator Sambuev: Player of the Day at chessgames.com

GM Bator Sambuev is Player of the Day for chessgames.com, for Nov. 25, 2020. It is his 40th birthday today. A short biography, with career highlights, and a games database is presented.

Thank-you Frank for posting this, particularly because it is Chess oriented and Canadian Chess oriented. Here is a link: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=49721

I think it was Tom O'Donnell who pointed out some years back that Bator has probably been one of the greatest teachers for up and coming Canadian players because he regularly plays in weekend Swiss tournaments in the Montreal/Toronto corridor (or the Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto triangle).

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
      Thank-you Frank for posting this, particularly because it is Chess oriented and Canadian Chess oriented. Here is a link: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=49721

I think it was Tom O'Donnell who pointed out some years back that Bator has probably been one of the greatest teachers for up and coming Canadian players because he regularly plays in weekend Swiss tournaments in the Montreal/Toronto corridor (or the Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto triangle).

Steve
      I would like to add that Bator is especially noticeable at weekend Swisses for graciously offering insights at postgames. The "lesser" players are often amazed that he even noticed their game while he was walking around between his own moves, and he tactfully offers helpful observations. What Tom said makes sense to me. Ottawa folk also appreciate Halldor, who keeps bringing Bator in.

Comment

Bator was also very gracious when I saw him in the halls at the RA Centre in January and walked up and shook his hand. First time I've ever touched a GM! Although I once was in the same room as three world champion GMs, Tal, Spassky, and Karpov in Montreal 1979 but they were, of course, Untouchable.
        Last edited by Don Parakin; Friday, 27th November, 2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I get your wording but not quite untouchable. You could have played them in a simul or got their autograph.

Comment

Yup, I just realized now with some horror that "untouchable" is not the word I meant. Isn't there a word beginning with Un___ that means beyond excellent or in a class of their own. I might've been thinking of the movie The Untouchables. Whatever the word is, it ruins my pun. Where's the delete button for posts; can't find that either. I'm having a bad day :(
            Last edited by Don Parakin; Friday, 27th November, 2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Actually I think that is one of the meanings of untouchable in a metaphoric sense. I think Ive heard it in sports when a commentator refers to a superstar as untouchable.

Comment

I admire Bator for being so active in Canadian chess. Often, we don't see the stronger players taking the time to mix it up with the rest of us.
                Paul Leblanc
                Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                X