Qualification for Soviet championships...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualification for Soviet championships...

Back in the 40's and 50's - before ratings became standardized - how did players qualify for the Soviet championship? I know there were (sometimes? always?) a series of quarter and semi finals leading up to the final. Were some seeded directly into the final (or semi-final)? How many qualified from the quarters to the semis, and from the semis to the final?

Suppose I was the winner of a "weak" (chess-wise) Republic championship. Would I automatically qualify for a spot in the final (or semis)? Were there residency requirements in a Republic to be able to play in their championships? (not that it would have been easy to move around in those days) (the competition is too string in Moscow - I'll move to Uzbekistan)

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Back in the 40's and 50's - before ratings became standardized - how did players qualify for the Soviet championship? I know there were (sometimes? always?) a series of quarter and semi finals leading up to the final. Were some seeded directly into the final (or semi-final)? How many qualified from the quarters to the semis, and from the semis to the final?

Suppose I was the winner of a "weak" (chess-wise) Republic championship. Would I automatically qualify for a spot in the final (or semis)? Were there residency requirements in a Republic to be able to play in their championships? (not that it would have been easy to move around in those days) (the competition is too string in Moscow - I'll move to Uzbekistan)
    Good questions Hugh. There were various systems that changed over the years (e.g., by the 80-s there was the Premiere League, the First Division, etc.). Basically, you need to zero in on a specific championship year and to find out about its system.

Here are a couple of examples, translated from here:

Yudovich: “The XX championship was preceded by nine quarterfinals held in Moscow and Leningrad (two each), Riga, Chisinau, Kiev, Rostov-on-Don and Yaroslavl. Five winners of each tournament received the right to play in the semifinals."(”XX USSR Chess Championship ”, 1954).

Ragozin: “In 1951, the All-Union Committee for Physical Culture and Sports made an important decision on the participation of masters in the quarterfinals (earlier, most masters were personally admitted to the semifinals). Grandmasters were now included in the semifinals, and only two chess players - the world champion and the previous year's USSR champion - were allowed to the finals
    It is pleasant to note that in two quarterfinals - Riga and Rostov - the first places were taken by Chaplinsky and Kots, who recently performed in youth competitions. One of the youngest participants, a student of the 9th grade of a Moscow secondary school, Alexander Nikitin, also achieved great success. 15-year-old Boris Spassky, a pupil of the Leningrad Palace of Pioneers, was only half a point behind the winners
    "(" Chess in the USSR "No. 3, 1952).

Comment

Were there residency requirements in a Republic to be able to play in their championships? (not that it would have been easy to move around in those days) (the competition is too string in Moscow - I'll move to Uzbekistan)
      Spot-on, Hugh! A reasonably strong player was able to move "down" to a weaker republic since regional authorities were interested in glory and medals he could potentially bring.

The future Canadian GM Igor Ivanov was born in Leningrad, Russia. Once he became a professional player, he moved first to Tajikistan, then to Uzbekistan (exactly as in your example). It was playing on the first board for Uzbekistan at the USSR Spartakiade in 1979 that Ivanov had his famous win over the reigning World Champion Anatoly Karpov.

Comment

All of that is super interesting, thanks!

Comment

A good source is http://al20102007.narod.ru/ch_urs.html with a lot of crosstables and PGN games.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

A good source is http://al20102007.narod.ru/ch_urs.html with a lot of crosstables and PGN games.
            Yes - I've used that site a lot to collect games for my database.

Tigran Petrosian (1929-1984) lived in Armenia for just a short time - from 1946 to 1949. He was born and raised in Georgia before moving to Armenia, where he won the Championship once, and tied for first once. He then moved to Moscow, and represented that city in inter-Republic team championships (the 15 republics - (plus Karelo-Finnish SSR prior to 1956), plus Moscow and Leningrad). He won the Moscow championship once and tied for first once.

Why did he stay in Moscow? Did he enjoy better competition, or were there other reasons why he didn't stay in Armenia - where he could have won more championships, and being captain of their team?

Comment

Why did he stay in Moscow? Did he enjoy better competition, or were there other reasons why he didn't stay in Armenia - where he could have won more championships, and being captain of their team?
              In Quality Chess' book Python Strategy (1st English edition, 2015, p. 26 & 27) there is some information on this:

1. Mikhail Beilin writes:
              • Here is what I was told at that time [i.e. late 1947] by Nikolai Sergeyevich Kolobov, the coach of the Moscow 'Spartak' club ... : "I put a proposal to the directors for helping Tigran Petrosian to move to Moscow. ... They decided to settle him for the present in a hostel in Tarasovka ..."
              2. It's not clear to me who the author of this next section is. Perhaps the editor, Oleg Stetsko, or the compiler, Eduard Shekhtman. Here it is:
              • But we should note that Petrosian didn't immediately agree to the proposal to move to Moscow. ... As the well-known journalist Valery Asrian recounted many years later, it was Vladimir Makogonov, Honoured Master of Sport, who had the decisive word in the matter. In 1948 Tigran took part in the Trans-Caucasian Republics tournament and had to concede first place to that famous player. ... Petrosian confided in him that he had been invited to Moscow but hadn't yet decided what to do. Hearing this, Makogonov was emphatic: "Don't think twice about it, Tigran, just go. If I'd moved to Moscow in better years ... I'd have become a Grandmaster ages ago. Believe me, in Moscow you'll have such an opportunity to improve, you'll be able to meet the best players in the country and learn from them - chances you don't and can't get in Yerevan. What's more, you'll always be in the eye of the chess authorities, the whole sporting establishment in fact ... So don't worry about it. Move to the capital."
              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
              X