The Elephant in the Room in The Queen's Gambit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Not only is it EZ's CFC and EZ's FIDE ... I see it is yours too, Peter!

Just because you think that you're nothing more than a lowly CFC member doesn't EXCLUDE you from the activities of that which you're a member.

K?

The real insult?

It comes from you & your fellow CFC members who CONDONE FIDE's activities . Chess Federation of Canada is in lockstep with FIDE's relentless debasing of women.

Time for the CFC to level up. As much of a struggle that will be ... it will be well worth the effort!

You really think that your FIDE's lowest-ranking title should be awarded to a woman?

ETC., ETC., ETC..

K?

Are we clear?

Time to close ranks?

I don't know what line of work you're in, Neil, but I really hope there aren't people whose job security is dependent on you being able to think logically.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Yuanling Yuan mentioned the same point about wins vs. losses in the thread that Frank Dixon posted.

If the objective was to get a hit TV series, especially one that would attract lots of people to chess, I think it would be a lot more prudent to show more wins than a typical balance of results, the typical struggles etc.,

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Article about the most glaring flaw in the highly successful Netflix series The Queen's Gambit

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/bar...nts-to-mention

I watched the series and found it very interesting and very well done from a cinematic point of view. Excellent story line and photography etc.
      Of course, the chessboards were set up correctly and almost all of the chess related information was spot on. Like others, the fixation on her
      dependence on drugs and alcohol (no matter how well explained by the dreadful orphanage situation...) was a bit disconcerting but overall
      it was a great series.

My only concern initially was that they did not show her losing very many games along the way... and of course, the actual high profile
      tournament games were showing players moving rather quickly at all stages of the games (but of course, real time coverage would push
      the series to 1024 episodes...lol) No big deal really.

The National Post article points out the big elephant in the series: the actual state of play of women versus men in the real world.
      I suspect Susan Polgar has likely also pointed this out (as would Judit Polgar, Hou Yifan etc.) It is what it is.
      I don't see it changing much lately or any time soon.

Comment

Working...
      X