New Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Players

I noticed that the first two large tournaments of 2021, the Victoria Open and the Toronto Christmas/NY event have quite a few new (i.e. unrated) players.
    Has anyone else been noticing this in their events?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

I think there will be a COVID and Queen's Gambit bump in numbers. It will mitigate the membership number losses from our regular members who aren't yet into online chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      I think there will be a COVID and Queen's Gambit bump in numbers. It will mitigate the membership number losses from our regular members who aren't yet into online chess.
      I am getting lots of people kicking the tires on chess lessons. Most have never played a CFC game. Given that my major marketing push towards kids and parents is the flyers that I distribute at the WIndsor Chess Challenge which has been cancelled for 2021, it would not surprise me if my mix of new students skews towards adult online players in the coming year.

Comment

Most of the new players in the Victoria Open are adults. In past times it was mostly juniors.
        Paul Leblanc
        Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

There are a lot of online adult players. If trends continue as they are, I will have more adults in lessons than juniors in about a year.

Comment

Working...
          X