Eric Van Dusen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric Van Dusen

There are reports on Facebook that former CFC President Eric Van Dusen has passed away. Does anyone know what happened?

Eric Van Dusen died of an enlarged heart January 2nd 2021. He was 57 years old.

He phoned me December 29. He told me he was looking forward to starting a new job after some time off on sick leave. He told me that his health was much better and things were looking up. He was also hoping we would get back to chess. Eric Van Dusen had moved to new house last year just outside of Ottawa. However, in the New Year he was going to be showing up regularly at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa and playing in the weekend tournaments.

Eric Van Dusen was a long time valued member of the RA Chess Club. We will raise a glass to his memory at the RA Fieldhouse when we are back.

Comment

I’m extremely saddened to learn about Eric’s passing. I played him numerous times as a junior in the early to mid 2000s in Ottawa and the surrounding areas. I also spent an internship with the federal government in Gatineau one summer where Eric was working and we caught up during our lunch breaks on a number of occasions to play a few games. He was such a friendly and wonderful person who will be sorely missed. My deepest condolences go out to Eric's family and friends.
      Last edited by Sammy Yao; Tuesday, 19th January, 2021, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
        Eric Van Dusen died of an enlarged heart January 2nd 2021. He was 57 years old.

He phoned me December 29. He told me he was looking forward to starting a new job after some time off on sick leave. He told me that his health was much better and things were looking up. He was also hoping we would get back to chess. Eric Van Dusen had moved to new house last year just outside of Ottawa. However, in the New Year he was going to be showing up regularly at the RA Chess Club in Ottawa and playing in the weekend tournaments.

Eric Van Dusen was a long time valued member of the RA Chess Club. We will raise a glass to his memory at the RA Fieldhouse when we are back.
        Thanks Halldor for your informative post. Eric called me too that day. I suspect he called many people. I find that very touching. May he rest in peace.

Comment

Sad to hear. An interesting character and nice guy. Rest in peace.

Comment

May he rest in peace.

Comment

Eric was one of Ottawa's finest. I hope he has many happy chess adventures in the hereafter.

Comment

Very sad news of Eric's passing. He will certainly be missed. I am privileged to call him a friend for 20+ years. Met once, never forgotten. Eric's enthusiasm for anything concerning chess was truly extraordinary. He was a CFC Governor for several years, in the Eastern Ontario Chess Association, as I was. This led to him serving as CFC President, during 2006-07, I believe. Eric and I had a very important discussion in Ottawa regarding the 'Wayne Coppin matter'.
                Rest In Peace, Eric. Many interesting opponents are coming up for you in Heaven.
                Frank Dixon, NTD, Kingston.

Comment

Eric presented to us a very soft, gentle, peaceful and loving soul. Unless he was crushing you in a game of chess.

Comment

Working...
                  X