Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My resignation as FIDE Rep

Part 1
    The position of “FIDE Representative” in Canada is all about public service. Integrity is the most important quality for any candidate.

I resigned because of the conduct of Vadim Tsypin, and President Vlad Drkulec’s response to that conduct, since 2018. The pattern of behaviour is of growing concern.

Here is a summary of events and relevant quotes from emails:

October 4th, 2018: I shall start with the election of FIDE President Arkady Dvorkovich. Vadim is on his campaign team. I emailed a couple of positive notes to the CFC Executive from Batumi:

“Last night I had a chance to speak briefly with Arkady Dvorkovich. I congratulated him on his solid victory and told him that Canada looks forward to working with him. He assured me that we will work together.”
    and
    “The 2019 NAYCC was awarded to Canada last night also in an extended meeting FIDE America.”

Later that day, Tsypin emailed a positive reply to the CFC Executive:

“First of all, thanks again to Hal for seeing through Canada's bid to completion, much appreciated.”
    So far, so good.

October 5th, 2018: After a series of challenging FIDE meetings right after the election, I emailed a pointed update to the CFC Executive. I was positive about Dvorkovich, but I had concerns too.

I soon discovered something very dark. This email to my Executive was distorted and shared with the FIDE President and his team. It depicts me as an anti-Semite who is against them. Despite FIDE’s lack of co-operation I found this forgery. I have underlined the alterations below.

From my email:
    “Makro was a brilliant Chair during the remaining agenda matters and this was appreciated by all. His parting words were a tad sharp- urging AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign against Putin, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new regime does have a steep learning curve ahead and I choose to be optimistic. But there are haters among AD’s people and some who are also clueless. I do not include Arkady in this number so I hope his leadership prevails.”

From the forgery:
    “Makro was as brilliant as always during the remaining agenda matters. He is a towering figure over new dwarfs. His parting words urged AD not to go down the road of exclusion and cronyism, bribery and state influence which characterized the campaign. Makro was very proud of his clean campaign
    against the joint forces of Putin, Zionism, Kasparov, USA etc.

The new junta does have a steep learning curve ahead and I am not optimistic. AD’s people are haters and most are also clueless. They don't appreciate any of us who served FIDE under Macro's enlightened leadership.”

A number of Senior FIDE Officials have since verbally named the culprit. You can guess.
    Last edited by Hal Bond; Tuesday, 23rd February, 2021, 06:51 AM.

Part 2
    October 11th, 2018: Tsypin writes to CFC Executive and others, and appears to make an oblique reference to the forgery above:

“Those inept people who "distinguished" themselves by vile personal attacks and biased reports sent back to their countries will never be considered competent or worthy.”
    Tsypin ends his email by confirming his target is me:
    “The present Canada’s delegate to FIDE has done enormous damage to our country and to the CFC by his actions in Batumi. His ill-advised political manifestations, his visceral personal attacks on members of the President’s campaign, his boorish and under-the-influence behaviour at the official receptions, and especially his rehashing of old canards and politically charged epithets – all of this was literally beyond the pale and created a long-lasting impression on the key people who would be governing the FIDE in
    the next four years.

Please rest assured that the FIDE President makes clear distinction between actions of one unbalanced individual – and wishes and aspirations of the Canadian chess community, the players, the grassroots organizers. There is now a unique chance for Canada to be among the very first countries that
    would receive tangible help from FIDE.

However, our federation needs to make a clean break with the past as well. Animosity, hostility, venom incompetence, inappropriate behaviour - all of this needs to be replaced by impartiality and professionalism at the international level This is a subject of discussions that I’ve already initiated with the CFC President. We need to move fast; London's PB is around the corner.”

There are three takeaways to consider:

1) The ugly attack speech is blatant.
    2) A quid pro quo implied. (tangible help from FIDE …a clean break with the past)
    3) Tsypin announces he is opening a back channel with Drkulec.

Vlad called me the same day and confirmed that he had been contacted by Vadim and Berik, and €20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.

In the meantime, Tsypin approaches one year as an International Arbiter (IA) Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Tsypin makes his move early. At his request, I sign for his norms, subject to time served. This is irregular but the Arbiters’ Commission (ARB) reluctantly accepts it. Vadim convinces Vlad to petition FIDE for an exemption to time served without my knowledge. Extraordinary! The situation is resolved in September 2019. I wanted Vadim held accountable. The following emails capture this:

February 12th, 2020: In my email to the CFC Executive:
    “You will recall that Vadim Tsypin attempted to fast track his Arbiter Classification with FIDE, which would allow him to be a FIDE Lecturer 4 years early, ahead of others who wait their turn. This can only happen if the applicant’s Federation writes to FIDE to request it. You will recall that Mr. Tsypin tricked Vlad into signing such a letter for him, and at our unanimous direction, Vlad wrote a letter of retraction.
    Should that be the end of it? I think not. The fact that Vlad wrote the retraction is proof that Vadim behaved incorrectly. I believe and disciplinary action is required.”

February 13th, 2020: In his email reply to the CFC Executive, Vlad confirms two things:

1) Tsypin misled Drkulec (and FIDE) regarding FIDE Arbiter classification regulations:

“That I wrote the retraction is only proof that I believe I acted incorrectly.” (re: petitioning FIDE)

2) The quid pro quo implied from October 11th, 2018:

“We don't understand Vadim's relationship with FIDE president Arkady Dvorkovich. We don't know Vadim's relationship with whoever intercepted and altered Hal's email. We know Berik who was a close
    associate of Kirsan Ilyumzhanov is somehow involved. We know they were offering large sums of money in exchange for getting rid of Hal.”

Despite a unanimous vote by the Executive, Vlad refuses to ask for Vadim’s resignation as the CFC Publicity Officer. Vadim is not held accountable.

Comment

part 3

Following the 2020 CFC AGM, Drkulec tries to take my place at the FIDE Online General Assembly.

October 9th, 2020: FIDE publishes the LIST OF DELEGATES for the 2020 FIDE Online General Assembly. Vlad has named himself as Canada’s Delegate.

October 10th, 2020: I notice. I advise Drkulec to correct.
      October 14th, 2020: I remind Drkulec to correct.
      October 15th, 2020: I escalate to the rest of CFC Executive:

“According to FIDE, you wrote to them stating that you would be attending as Delegate. Now they require you to correct this mistake so please do so. The deadline is October 31. You can almost surely attend as Counsellor and I would totally welcome that.”

And after Drkulec resists:

“I have added the rest of the Executive to this discussion. I am Canada’s FIDE Delegate. Why would you tell FIDE otherwise? I am disappointed that you would take this action without even informing me.”
      October 27th, 2020: FIDE confirms that I am confirmed as FIDE Delegate for Canada. And at my collaborative recommendation, that Drkulec will also attend.

December 29th, 2020: Diana Tsypina (Tsypin’s spouse) has passed one year as an IA Category D. It takes at least five years to be promoted to IA Category B. Like her husband, Tsypina makes her move early. She submits her application to me on this date.

I perform a complete analysis, generating many notes of concern. I check with FIDE. I have no choice but to find the application insufficient.

January 18th, 2021: I email Tsypina my decision:
      “I regret to advise that I cannot recommend this upgrade. Four of the events you listed took place before you were an FA. Two of the events were 5 rounds in duration. I requested an unofficial opinion from the Arbiters’ Commission and they have confirmed my findings.”

January 18th, 2021: Tsypina escalates to Drkulec. She offers him a possible solution:

“I need a simple written decision of the Chess Federation of Canada,"Submit" or "Refuse". Kindly advise me within five (5) business days. In case of refusal, my next step would be governed by Art 5.4:
      "Applications must be submitted to the FIDE Secretariat by the federation of the applicant. The National federation is responsible for the fee. If the applicant’s federation refuses to apply, the applicant can bring his case to the Arbiters’ Commission, who (sic) will investigate it."”

January 19th, 2021: Despite the possible solution offered by Tsypina, Drkulec unilaterally decides to endorse the Tsypina application.

January 20th, 2021: I email my resignation letter to the CFC Executive.

I should note that despite recommending Aris as my interim replacement, he spent several days urging me to stay on. Thank you Aris, for your kind support. I think Victor Plotkin will be an excellent FIDE Rep.

Needless to say there are challenges ahead. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for your years of service representing us, Hal, and thank you for shedding some background light on what seems to by a campaign that does not appear to be in Canada's interest.
        Last edited by Sam Sharpe; Tuesday, 23rd February, 2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Hal, I second everything Sam says. You've been a positive force in Canadian chess for decades and your record won't be marred by these unfortunate events.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

You have more than paid your dues my old friend, find something in life less frustrating to enjoy. Chess has always been chess. Pick up a musical instrument, go back to school, write a book... love the times that remain to the fullest.

Comment

Depressing information. Glad to currently NOT be a CFC member and likely will stay that way given the current leadership.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                Depressing information. Glad to currently NOT be a CFC member and likely will stay that way given the current leadership.
                Ditto. Mr. Bond, thank you for your many years of service.

Comment

€20,000 from FIDE was being offered to the CFC if I am replaced.
                  LOOL!

Cheap bastards!!!

Comment

Oh my. Such shenanigans. Hal has been a great organizer and TD for decades, organizing juniors and bringing many GMs to his Guelph tournaments. What a horrible way to be treated by newcomers to the Canadian scene.

Canadians have a fine record as diplomats and have developed excellent arbiters like Malcolm Sim, Phil Haley, Jonathan Berry, Angela Day, and Stephen Boyd. I've heard that political infighting is common among European chess organizations. Canada is too small for such bloodshed. Chess here is volunteer based and requires working together. The ccorruption of fast tracking IA titles should not he tolerated. It is unCanadian.
                    Last edited by Erik Malmsten; Tuesday, 23rd February, 2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

FIDE’s investigation

You replied on Tue 2021-02-23 5:23 PM

Aleksandr Martynov

Tue 2021-02-23 3:01 PM

Dear Mr. Bond and Mr. Drkulec.

As a FIDE lawyer, I would like to state that it was with a great concern that we learned the information published today at the Chesstalk Canada. I would like to assure you with all responsibility that the current FIDE management has always adhered to the highest ethical standards in its work. In this regard, today it was decided to suspend the powers of Mr. Tsypin as a member of the FIDE Management Board and to conduct an urgent investigation into the available facts. In the very near future, I will also send each of you, as well as other persons, an official request regarding detailed explanations about the situation, starting with allegations expressed by Mr.Bond on chesstalk, and up to the most recent developments. I would appreciate it if one of you could post my letter on the Chesstalk Canada, so that the Canadian public will be informed of FIDE's strict commitment to high ethical standards.

Please, confirm receipt of this letter

Sincerely yours, Aleksandr Martynov
                      FIDE Legal Advisor

Скачайте Outlook для iOS

Comment

Hi Hal;
                        Remember the First time we met. That smiling face that wanted to go over your game. Well we have gone a long time since then. BS draws idiots. You made the right decision. I'm glad you discovered that before I died.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                          [SIZE=16px]FIDE’s investigation

You replied on Tue 2021-02-23 5:23 PM

Aleksandr Martynov

Tue 2021-02-23 3:01 PM

Dear Mr. Bond and Mr. Drkulec.

As a FIDE lawyer, I would like to state that it was with a great concern that we learned the information published today at the Chesstalk Canada. .....
                          Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                          October 5th, 2018: After a series of challenging FIDE meetings right after the election, I emailed a pointed update to the CFC Executive. I was positive about Dvorkovich, but I had concerns too.
                          Some questions. Were Hal's reports to the CFC executive considered confidential? That is, was someone on the executive in 2018 indiscreet with Hal's report, thus leading to the subsequent alteration of his email? Or are we to wonder if someone on the executive was directly responsible for altering Hal's report?

Regarding FIDE's email above, are we to understand that the alteration of Hal's report is only now coming to FIDE's attention??? Why wasn't the CFC fully supporting Hal when the alteration first came to light?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Some questions. Were Hal's reports to the CFC executive considered confidential? That is, was someone on the executive in 2018 indiscreet with Hal's report, thus leading to the subsequent alteration of his email? Or are we to wonder if someone on the executive was directly responsible for altering Hal's report?

Regarding FIDE's email above, are we to understand that the alteration of Hal's report is only now coming to FIDE's attention??? Why wasn't the CFC fully supporting Hal when the alteration first came to light?
                            We were supporting Hal. Hal's statements are incorrect. I will have much more to say on this later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post

Despite a unanimous vote by the Executive, Vlad refuses to ask for Vadim’s resignation as the CFC Publicity Officer. Vadim is not held accountable.
                              How is it unanimous if I declined to agree to it. I consulted with our lawyer and he told me not to send the email. After talking to our lawyer, Fred McKim agreed that we should not send the email. You cannot compel me to send something that could lead to litigation that could destroy the CFC and all the members of the board. There was nothing preventing you from being the one sending the email. Why did you need me to sink the Pequod (CFC), Captain Ahab (Hal Bond) on your misguided crusade?
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 9th March, 2021, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X