Appearance of GM Kevin Spraggett on IBM TV this Saturday at 3 PM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance of GM Kevin Spraggett on IBM TV this Saturday at 3 PM.

This Saturday at 3 PM GM Kevin Spraggett, 8 times Canadian Chess Champion, will appear on IBM TV! Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglHRI2jZZE
    The weekly chess show will feature GM Mihail Marin with his wife artist Maria, CFC President Vladimir Drkulec and IA, IO Vadim Tsypin.
    Last edited by Sasha Starr; Thursday, 25th February, 2021, 03:36 PM.

This doesn't appear to be from IBM.

Comment

IBM TV stands for International Broadcasting Media TV.
      Last edited by Sasha Starr; Thursday, 25th February, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I was unaware of this. I see you have an investment show as well on it; I'll take a listen to it as I'm always on the lookout for tidbits of useful information.

Comment

Yes, you are very welcome!

Comment

I just tried google images for spraggettonchess looking for some tournament images ...

Comment

I enjoyed last week's show. Can you give a link to Maria's paintings?

An interesting show might have guests Hal Bond, Aris and Victor Plotkin sharing stories of their international experiences. And could have a series with local guests on chess in the Maritimes, or Manitoba, Alberta, B.C. And of course a show with Nava on her career.

Comment

Thank you, Erik! I'll ask Mihail about it, They publish a lot of new paintings on FB as well!

It would be great to have them on the show. However Victor Plotkin has declined my invitation at least 3 times... Aris has declined my invitation during recent election - I wanted to have all three candidates to have public debates... and he has family health issues, but again, he is welcome. Hal is involved into the controversy with his resignation etc. so it is unclear whether it is a good time for him to have a public appearance...however again, all three are welcome. If you'd like to contact them please do so and let me know.

In the future we'll have guests from different provinces. Maybe we'll start with Quebec.

Nava will make a short appearance tomorrow!

Comment

I think this was a nice program, even though I have missed most of it. I agree with Vlad that text based meetings are not very effective. New technology should be taken advantage of. I regret not seeing Spraggett, but I was surprised he agreed in the first place. GM Marin did not seem to talk very much.

I have only watched 20 minutes or so, but I really liked the part where Sasha complained again about the FIDE rep election. He complained that someone got into the race, another dropped out and then endorsed the new candidate. He called it dirty politics. Classic. Wasn't that exactly what Vadim wanted the 2 other candidates to do for him? I guess it is always difficult to look critically at people on one's own "team".

I hope to watch other broadcasts in the future. Thanks for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post
                    I think this was a nice program, even though I have missed most of it. I agree with Vlad that text based meetings are not very effective. New technology should be taken advantage of. I regret not seeing Spraggett, but I was surprised he agreed in the first place. GM Marin did not seem to talk very much.

I have only watched 20 minutes or so, but I really liked the part where Sasha complained again about the FIDE rep election. He complained that someone got into the race, another dropped out and then endorsed the new candidate. He called it dirty politics. Classic. Wasn't that exactly what Vadim wanted the 2 other candidates to do for him? I guess it is always difficult to look critically at people on one's own "team".

We are going to be trying the free version of Zoom for an executive meeting probably next weekend. We might try Zoom at the next quarterly voting member meeting in April or May and thus be able to follow Roberts Rules of Order. It will be a very different process than a text based meeting. Also it will be a lot shorter. To spend more than a month, out of the year in meetings is a form of insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Profit View Post

Thank you, Brian! Sorry Spraggett didn't show up, will ask him why...

I've been notified about upcoming FIDE rep election and didn't plan to participate in it. However very soon I've got an email from Vadim Tsypin (whom I've never even met unlike Victor Plotkin and Aris Marghetis). He's asked me to support him in the upcoming election. I've looked at his program, and together with his resume, it all looked solid to me. Although the other two candidates haven's approached me I've decided that it would be fair if all three candidates would have a chance for the public appearance on my IBM TV's chess show, and I've asked all of them to participate on February 20th show, right before the voting would start. Vadim Tsypin agreed, thanking me, Victor Plotkin had a condition that all three would had to participate, and in any case he's confirmed that he will not debate with Tsypin one on one. Aris was hard to get, he had some family health issues, and in any case I've never got his agreement, and that automatically eliminated Victor. So on February 20th there was a show with Vadim only, the other participants on the show were GM Mihail Marin with his wife Maria and Professor Kenneth Regan from the anti cheating FIDE's commission. Vadim performed very well, reiterating his program and was warmly embraced by Prof. Regan. So my mind was clear that on the merits Vadim was a preferable candidate, based on his unmatched experience, credentials, connections, etc. However Aris has resigned while endorsing Victor, and the rest is history. Anyone can read the meetings' minutes.

So far I've described what's transpired from my point of view a week before the CFC FIDE rep election.
                      But there is much, much more to it, what I've learned and understood only during election...
                      I will reserve my comments about this election for the time being.

Sasha Starr, VM.
                      Last edited by Sasha Starr; Monday, 1st March, 2021, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X