CBC "Fifth Estate" on child prodiges in chess...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

https://michaelbluejay.com/misc/womengrandmasters.html

The CBC fact checkers believe that to be a mistaken notion. They say she got it by virtue of being women's world champion. It is possible that she earned norms after being given the regular GM title. The driving force behind that particular segment Alex Shprintsen read this thread on chesstalk.

Susan Polgar was the first to earn a regular GM title by the norm process in place at the time.
    Wikipedia backs up Frank. Nona earned the title via norms.
    In 1978 Gaprindashvili became the first woman to be awarded the Grandmaster title by FIDE. She was granted the title after scoring two grandmaster norms totaling 23 games, the last of which was winning Lone Pine 1977 against a field of 45 players, mostly grandmasters. Although the GM title normally required 24 games, by exceeding the GM 'norm' requirement in Lone Pine, FIDE found her results over 23 games equivalent to 24 games and made her the first woman Grandmaster.[3]
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Wikipedia is not definitive proof. I am not sure one way or another. I am just telling you what the CBC producer told me.

Comment

Wikipedia is not definitive proof. I am not sure one way or another. I am just telling you what the CBC producer told me.
        Donald Trump claims to his followers that he won a GM title and the World Chess Championship by defeating Bobby Fischer in 1975 in a 24-game match, but the Deep State interfered. It suppressed all knowledge of the match, which was held in secret in the Cheyenne NORAD facility where the StarGate to visit other planets is being held. At the conclusion of the match, the Men In Black swept in and caused the real Bobby Fischer to jump through the StarGate, from which he allegedly promised just before he jumped through to return with the Galactic Chess Championship title sometime in the future. Donald Trump escaped by private Lear jet to Scotland, but all records of the match were confiscated and have yet to be revealed. There were no media reports of this at the time because Fischer made it part of his demands that there be no media, agreeing with Trump that the media is a national security threat. There is some controversy about the final game of the match, with Trump leading by 1/2 point. That's part of the controversy, because it's impossible for one player to be leading by 1/2 point, but Trump worked it out that way. But the bigger controversy is that Trump was holding onto his captured Queen and when Fischer promoted a Pawn, they wrestled for the Queen. Fischer (wearing a full facial mask and calling himself "King Bobby") threw Trump over the top rope and broke a folding chair over his back, and Trump was about to be counted out*....

The promoting move would have won Fischer the game and the match, but Fischer never got to press his clock -- that's precisely when all hell broke loose. FIDE claimed in 2018 that they found out Hal Bond was arbiter for this match and they had to send the KGB after him.

And let's not even talk about what happened in Uruguay.

(Edit): *Trump later claimed the referee was a Democrat and was counting by 2s, i.e. "2....4....6....8....Oh my God, the Men in Black are here!"
        Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Saturday, 27th March, 2021, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Paul, Paul, Paul, you can change your screen name but you can't change your character.

Comment

Paul, Paul, Paul, you can change your screen name but you can't change your character.
            Not all of us are Jeckyll's and Hyde's.

Comment

You sound like you have someone living rent-free in your head.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
                Oh, I suspect that Mr. Tsypin has, or has agreed to, pay in full.

Comment

LOOL!

8 letter anagram from Pargat Perrer ... REAPPEAR

;)

Comment

Your a Sherlockian grandmaster Neil!

Comment

Top definition

Pargat

A being of extreme hairiness, covered with hair resembling fur. Looks extremely similar to Big Foot.

Dang, look at that Pargat, he's got more hair than three yetis combined!

From Urban Dictionary

https://hamariweb.com/names/hindu/hi...-meaning_31750
                      Pargat Name Meaning in English

Naming a baby is considered to be the most sacred responsibility for a parent living around the world. Muslim parents always choose the best possible Muslim name for their baby boy. Pargat is a boy name that is adored by Muslim parents for their little prince as it is a popular Muslim name. Pargat name origin is Hindi and it has multiple meanings. Pargat name meaning is Appearance. It is a beautiful name that is not only pleasing to listen to but also belong to many famous personalities.
                      According to the numerology prediction of the Pargat name, a lucky number is 9 and it impacts positively on personality development. The name Pargat consists of 6 Letters and 1 Word that includes it in a short name however Pargat name meaning is quite snazzy. People living in the UK, America (USA), Canada, India, and Saudi Arabia can search the details of Pargat name online without any hassle. Find accurate name meanings along with origin, gender, rating, and much more about the name Pargat.
                      Pargat name can be accessed from the Hindu Boy name starting with P, and there are more names in this list. How to pronounce Pargat name can also hear to be quite sure while giving this name to a baby. Pargat meaning has been searched 3895 times till today Date.
                      This information is enough to give a clear idea about the name. The level of popularity and rating of this name is also presented here.
                      1) What is the lucky number of Pargat?

The lucky number associated with the name Pargat is "9".
                      2) What is the meaning of Pargat?

The meaning of name Pargat is "appearance".
                      3) What is the name LENGTH of Pargat?

The Name Pargat consists of 6 alphabets.
                      4) What is the religion of Pargat name?

The religion of the name Pargat is Hindu.

* Disclaimer - Lucky number is formula generated number based on Urdu Alphabet just for your interest and knowledge. Hamariweb.com is not responsible for any errors or omissions of Lucky numbers.

PERRER

From Middle French perrer (“to decorate with stones”)

In Jamaica and reggae, apparently it is a slang term for a certain non-chess position.

Perreria (Spanish) translates as dirty trick, harsh words or cursing

It is also identified as a French last name.

Comment

Everyone's names mean something. Duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Your a Sherlockian grandmaster Neil!
                          Quite elementary.

Comment

Top definition

Pargat

A being of extreme hairiness, covered with hair resembling fur. Looks extremely similar to Big Foot.

Dang, look at that Pargat, he's got more hair than three yetis combined!

From Urban Dictionary

https://hamariweb.com/names/hindu/hi...-meaning_31750
                            Pargat Name Meaning in English

Naming a baby is considered to be the most sacred responsibility for a parent living around the world. Muslim parents always choose the best possible Muslim name for their baby boy. Pargat is a boy name that is adored by Muslim parents for their little prince as it is a popular Muslim name. Pargat name origin is Hindi and it has multiple meanings. Pargat name meaning is Appearance. It is a beautiful name that is not only pleasing to listen to but also belong to many famous personalities.
                            According to the numerology prediction of the Pargat name, a lucky number is 9 and it impacts positively on personality development. The name Pargat consists of 6 Letters and 1 Word that includes it in a short name however Pargat name meaning is quite snazzy. People living in the UK, America (USA), Canada, India, and Saudi Arabia can search the details of Pargat name online without any hassle. Find accurate name meanings along with origin, gender, rating, and much more about the name Pargat.
                            Pargat name can be accessed from the Hindu Boy name starting with P, and there are more names in this list. How to pronounce Pargat name can also hear to be quite sure while giving this name to a baby. Pargat meaning has been searched 3895 times till today Date.
                            This information is enough to give a clear idea about the name. The level of popularity and rating of this name is also presented here.
                            1) What is the lucky number of Pargat?

The lucky number associated with the name Pargat is "9".
                            2) What is the meaning of Pargat?

The meaning of name Pargat is "appearance".
                            3) What is the name LENGTH of Pargat?

The Name Pargat consists of 6 alphabets.
                            4) What is the religion of Pargat name?

The religion of the name Pargat is Hindu.

* Disclaimer - Lucky number is formula generated number based on Urdu Alphabet just for your interest and knowledge. Hamariweb.com is not responsible for any errors or omissions of Lucky numbers.

PERRER

From Middle French perrer (“to decorate with stones”)

In Jamaica and reggae, apparently it is a slang term for a certain non-chess position.

Perreria (Spanish) translates as dirty trick, harsh words or cursing

It is also identified as a French last name.

Wow, this is like having my name up in lights!

Unfortunately, it seems I must "appear" on stage as a hairy BigFoot decorated with 9 lucky stones, cursing and swearing in Hindi while in a certain non-chess position somewhere in France.

Meanwhile we have the CFC President making this statement (which prompted my whole Donald Trump comedy bit):
                            "Wikipedia is not definitive proof. I am not sure one way or another. I am just telling you what the CBC producer told me."

If Wikipedia is not definitive proof, why is the CFC President even quoting some anonymous CBC producer???? Why is he even posting on the subject? That's why I gave my comedy response.

By the way, Brad Thomson, I prefer your Sherlockian genius to Neil Frarey's anyday! Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Brilliant! Thanks Pargat.
                              "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                              "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                              "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

apparently it is a slang term for a certain non-chess position.
                                While I am neither a Grandmaster nor a biologist I do believe that mating IS a chess position.
                                Last edited by Brad Thomson; Monday, 29th March, 2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X