Canada's Greatest Chess Player of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post
    The truly skilled players like McDavid have some nice scoring stats, but nothing like they would have had in Gretzky's day. I actually can't watch today's hockey. Even the announcers sound bored.
    Gretzky amassed his point totals in a league that was very watered down compared to today. The NHL and the WHA had just merged, and there was nowhere near the influx of Europeans or Russians in those days. If Gretzky were playing today he would still win the scoring race (unless Bobby Orr was also playing), but his totals would come back to the pack. I agree that if McDavid had played in that league he would have scored far more points than the does now, as would Matthews and others. But not because of the style of play, because the league was watered down.

I prefer today's game because they have cleaned it up, there is far less fighting, far less "cluthcing and grabbing", far less slashing, boarding, interference and so forth- because in the old days they let all of this go and the game was slowed down and made less about hockey and more about violence and cheating. The most grotesque example of this was the Broad Street Bullies, a team that never should have been allowed to violate and cheat the way they did. I cut down on watching professional hockey (prefering first the OHL and then the QMJHL) for about 30 years, though I never completely stopped, and only got back into it on a steady basis within the last six or eight years wherein the game has become faster, cleaner and more skill oriented. The goons are gone.

Comment

This thread is reminding me of that Rodney Dangerfield joke: I went to the fights the other night and a hockey game broke out in the corner.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Wayne Gretzky, during his Oilers years, was surrounded by more ultra-talented teammates than any comparable player. I just finished reading 'The Battle Of Alberta' by Mark Spector, which gets into great detail about the 1980s rivalry between the Oilers and the Flames, and I was living in Calgary during that era, seeing Wayne and his super team play live in Calgary on many occasions. You could make a similar point about Bobby Orr and his very strong Boston Bruins teammates in the late 1960s and early 1970s, but not to the same extent. And the Oilers had a brutal travel schedule; they still dominated the league, with Wayne posting numbers which will never be surpassed.

Also, responding to John Upper's point, quoting my post, about GM Kevin Spraggett: Has GM Spraggett ever faced a formal investigation or proceeding in Canadian chess, concerning anything he said or did? Don't recall anything like that. GM Spraggett has certainly been critical on occasion, but from what I have seen, it was usually justified. As an organizer, I certainly never had any issues with his conduct where he played in events I was involved with.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I wasn't born and raised in Canada, but since coming here a few decades ago, I did discover hockey and considered it the most exciting sport in the world. So I have watched many Youtube videos of hockey greats from the past, and even the many Canada-Russia matches and Canada-USA matches.

But I wanted to post about something I decided to create at a workplace many years ago, which is a hockey pool. But mine was different: for all skaters (i.e. not goalies), it included of course goals and assists and plus / minus. But... it also included, believe it or not, penalty minutes. A player earned a point in the pool for every 5 penalty minutes (rounded up, so if they had 12 penalty minutes, that is 2 points, 13 penalty minutes was worth 3 points).

The people in my pool told me my idea was the greatest innovation in hockey pools they had ever seen. Because players like Gretzky and Lemieux scored very high of course, but so did players like Glenn Anderson (underappreciated), Bryan Trottier (underappreciated), and even some players with huge penalty minutes like defenceman Chris Chelios. So if you drafted a fantasy roster, you included some tough players as well as the skilled ones. And in those days of hockey, tough players counted. They contributed a lot to a team's success. That's why Gretzky insisted Marty McSorley be traded to Los Angeles with him.

In today's hockey, it's all pretty much robotic. One player is much like another, they are all like robots, playing the same checking style. The truly skilled players like McDavid have some nice scoring stats, but nothing like they would have had in Gretzky's day. I actually can't watch today's hockey. Even the announcers sound bored.

And to be on topic, I think also that chess itself at the high levels has undergone the same process, so that it is really robotic now. There is very little originality. This Nepo guy that will play Carlsen may be the biggest break from the current mold so that could make their match interesting.
          I like that idea of factoring in time spent in the box. Not only did Bobby Orr lead the league in points he also lead the league in penalty minutes too.

Big bad Bruins!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 4th May, 2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I was wondering if we could extend Canada's Greatest Chess Player of All Time to include Juniors?

I don't know anything about the Junior scene past or present nor how to measure the accomplishments. Would it be something like coming up through the various Youth age brackets ... winning and perhaps even defending the titles?

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 4th May, 2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
              I was wondering if we could extend Canada's Greatest Chess Player of All Time to include Juniors?

I don't know anything about the Junior scene past or present nor how to measure the accomplishments. Would it be something like coming up through the various Youth age brackets ... winning and perhaps even defending the titles?
              It would be tough to beat Tanraj Sohal, who (IIRC) won the Canadian Chess Challenge every year and every grade he played.

Razvan Preotu earned his GM title before going to University, and coauthored a book with Michael Song.

If you look outside OTB events, then the Doknjas brothers have published books (3?) with Everyman.

For girls, Qiyu Zhou won the WYCC (U14g), and the Canadian Women's Championship and was Canada's first WGM, all before the age of 18.

Comment

Pascal Charbonneau and Lefong Hua were two others that dominated the Chess Challenge throughout their school years.

Comment

... Bobby Orr ... lead the league in penalty minutes too.

Big bad Bruins!

Really ?? What year was that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post

Really ?? What year was that ?
                    Um, 1970?

https://s3951.pcdn.co/wp-content/upl...1970-02-15.jpg

Comment

Keith Magnuson had 289 penalty mins. in 1970. Big Bad Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Keep in mind that a large percenage of these "penalty minutes" are five for fighting when you take the other guy to the box with you. There were plenty of ten minute misconducts in those days too, but your team was still able to ice the full compliment of players while you took a rest. Nobody is proud of all of their two minute minors that left their team shorthanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
                          Big Bad Chicago Blackhawks
                          After Orr and Gretzky, Bobby Hull is next on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

After Orr and Gretzky, Bobby Hull is next on my list.
                            Not a bad choice. For me it would have to be Mark Messier. I am an American ex-pat and didn't know anything about hockey untill a friend turned me on to it in 1974. We watched the Stanley Cup Final between the Flyers and Sabres and I got hooked. I'll never forget the "Fog" game and also the play of Bernie Parent, the French Connection, Bobby Clarke etc. I became a life long Leaf fan the next season. I never saw any games from the Original Six so my picks tend to overlook those players even though I know their history and appreciate their greatness. My top 3 Leafs in an order that could change on any given day are...Gilmour, Sittler and Salming.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post
                              My top 3 Leafs in an order that could change on any given day are...Gilmour, Sittler and Salming.
                              Gilmore was great but did not start with the Leafs. Salming was the best defenseman in the league for several years but they never gave him the Norris Trophy, which was ridiculous. Sittler once had two hat tricks in the same game, and threw in four assists for good measure. Neil, do you recall which team that was against?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

Gilmore was great but did not start with the Leafs. Salming was the best defenseman in the league for several years but they never gave him the Norris Trophy, which was ridiculous. Sittler once had two hat tricks in the same game, and threw in four assists for good measure. Neil, do you recall which team that was against?
                                LOL Was it Don Cherry's Big Bad Bruins ? Rumour has it that Dave Reece the Boston goaltender that night was so despondant after the game that he went down to College station and jumped in front of the subway. Lucky for him it went between his legs!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X