Canada's Greatest Chess Player of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post

LOL Was it Don Cherry's Big Bad Bruins ? Rumour has it that Dave Reece the Boston goaltender that night was so despondant after the game that he went down to College station and jumped in front of the subway. Lucky for him it went between his legs!!!!
    thanks for that!! I blew coffee out my nose ... (kinda cleared my sinuses for now)

+1
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Clean as a whistle.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml3Mkc6ao0g

Comment

With top junior players, the debate must extend to:
        FM Vinny Puri: won three straight Canadian Junior titles, 1985-87, then in 1988 posted a top 10 finish at the World Junior;
        GM Mark Bluvshtein: earned GM title at age 16 in 2004.

Comment

LOL Was it Don Cherry's Big Bad Bruins ? Rumour has it that Dave Reece the Boston goaltender that night was so despondant after the game that he went down to College station and jumped in front of the subway. Lucky for him it went between his legs!!!!
          LOL! Reece was our third string goalie. And in that year Toronto lost to Philly in game 7 of their series ... naturally.

Toronto Maple Leafs are accustomed to losing in the playoffs ... especially to Boston ... especially in game 7 of the series! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BruinsDefeatLeafs-again.gif
Views:	40
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	213189

Oops!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
            With top junior players, the debate must extend to:
            FM Vinny Puri: won three straight Canadian Junior titles, 1985-87, then in 1988 posted a top 10 finish at the World Junior;
            GM Mark Bluvshtein: earned GM title at age 16 in 2004.
            Some great ones there for sure, Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

LOL! Reece was our third string goalie. And in that year Toronto lost to Philly in game 7 of their series ... naturally.

Toronto Maple Leafs are accustomed to losing in the playoffs ... especially to Boston ... especially in game 7 of the series! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BruinsDefeatLeafs-again.gif
Views:	40
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	213189

Oops!!!
              Can't argue with that. Just glad we are not faceing Boston in the first round this year. As much as I hate them I do respect them. They always seem to have a good team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

thanks for that!! I blew coffee out my nose ... (kinda cleared my sinuses for now)

+1
                Glad you liked it but thats an old one. I saw Darryl Sittler tell that one on HNIC seems like a lifetime ago.

Comment

The Maple Leafs benefited greatly from the realigned divisions this season. They got away from both Boston and Tampa Bay, not only for early playoff rounds, but for the regular season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

After Orr and Gretzky, Bobby Hull is next on my list.
                    At age nine I got a transistor radio. My parents sent me to bed at 9 oclock and I think were a little suspicious that I never complained. I had the radio under my pillow tuned to Black Hawk games. One evening Bobby wound up and hit the goalie in the forehead (lucky he had a mask on) and knocked him out. With the announcer raving and the crowd roaring before I could turn it down my father heard from way upstairs and came down and confiscated the radio. Still Bobby Hull was my first favorite. Was he an all time great? - no but an alltime great as an entertainer!

Comment

What about Alex Lesiege?
                      And Jean Hebert - who won the Canadian Championhip less than a year after he won the Canadian Junior!

Comment

Actually there are so many candidates for top junior that the discussion could go on and on and on. So actually a great topic for chesstalk!

Comment

Can't argue with that. Just glad we are not faceing Boston in the first round this year. As much as I hate them I do respect them. They always seem to have a good team.
                          You have a great team this year even with the Geritol line, ha!

Trust me, as much as I respect the Habs I hate facing them even more! Might as well just toss 'em the 2 points and move on. Long time back Bruins must have run over a black cat on full moon night in Montreal in their way to the Forum.

Or something like that ...sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                            One evening Bobby wound up and hit the goalie in the forehead (lucky he had a mask on) and knocked him out.
                            I remember that missile slapshot from the left wing hitting I believe it was Terry Sawchuck and my mom and dad and brother and I all went nuts because we thought he had killed him.

Comment

I believe when Bobby Hull started (first couple of years) there were still goalies in the league without masks. Can you imagine?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                                I believe when Bobby Hull started (first couple of years) there were still goalies in the league without masks. Can you imagine?
                                In a strange way, yeah. Some kind of old school survivor credo. Perhaps born out of being raised by fathers who had come back from wars. A lotta really very tough men.

Comment

Working...
                                X