Canada's Greatest Chess Player of All Time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    I believe when Bobby Hull started (first couple of years) there were still goalies in the league without masks. Can you imagine?
    It is really hard to imagine. I don't know how they did it and lived to tell the story. Remember Gerry Cheevers mask that had all the marks where the puck hit it ? Insane

Comment

In those days the players wore no helmets, and the pads were far smaller and less protective, so they could not go all over the place blasting into each other because they would hurt themselves more than they would hurt the other guy. Also, until the 1950s there was no such thing as a slapshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
        In those days the players wore no helmets, and the pads were far smaller and less protective, so they could not go all over the place blasting into each other because they would hurt themselves more than they would hurt the other guy. Also, until the 1950s there was no such thing as a slapshot.
        And one of the guys who popularized the slapshot had a great nickname: Boom Boom Geoffrion.
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

And one of the guys who popularized the slapshot had a great nickname: Boom Boom Geoffrion.
          But it was the curved sticks used by Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita that increased speed, but decreased accuracy of predicting where it will end up, that led to more use of masks. I think the first mask I saw was on the great veteran Terry Sawchuk for the Stanley Cup winning Leafs. When the Leafs got him in the draft, they didn't need to bring in their youngster Gerry Cheevers.

Comment

In the 50's, the shifts were two or three minutes long, so everyone paced themselves.
            Much like soccer. Burst of speed, coast along, burst again.
            Plus you could get whistle by freezing the puck against the boards.
            Now, they're on for 45 seconds, full speed on one or two rushes, then off you go.
            Plus they're bigger, so contact is a lot more severe.

Comment

Canada’s Greatest Chess Player of All Time?

May 6, 2021

Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita went to my high school.
              Bobby played for the juniors, the St. Catharines Teepees, before joining the Blackhawks in 1957.

Stan also played on the school football team – as a running back, if I recall correctly. There would be a wave of tacklers for the opposing team with Stan, holding the ball, riding on top.

Stan was one of the first players in the NHL to wear a helmet full-time after almost losing an ear in 1967.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Castle View Post

It is really hard to imagine. I don't know how they did it and lived to tell the story. Remember Gerry Cheevers mask that had all the marks where the puck hit it ? Insane
                I remember Gump Worsley's face had marks where all the pucks had hit (stich marks)...
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

As much as I like hockey and I did watch Sittler's 10 point night, albeit after playing shinny hockey in the park that night, I thought this was a chess post?
                  Peter Nurmi had tremendous talent as a junior, but gave up chess. Mark Bluvshtein was easily Canada's most talented junior. He beat Shirov in a nice game and was not that much weaker than Carlsen. In fact, I would be curious to know, when Mark stayed at Carlsen's house as a junior, his score against Carlsen at blitz. Honorable mention goes to Lawrence Day who won the Canadian Junior in 1967 and qualified for the A group at the World Junior, which included such notables at Timman and Huebner.

Comment

Working...
                  X