Online Canadian Qualifier (Zonal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Canadian Qualifier (Zonal)

Regulations for Online Canadian Qualifier (Zonal)

1. 12 players for Open, 8 for Women Zonal.

2. TC: 25 + 10

3. Round robin, top 4 players go to playoff.

4. Playoff: 1-4, 2-3. Four games match. If the score is 2-2, higher place in RR advances.

5. Tiebreak:

- face to face

- Sonneborn-Berger

- number of wins

- number of games with black

- drawing of lots

6. . Schedule: Open Section [Eastern Time]

May 31 (Monday) 2 rounds: 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 1 (Tuesday) 3 rounds: 5 PM, 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 2 (Wednesday) 3 rounds: 5 PM, 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 3 (Thursday) 3 rounds: 5 PM, 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 4 (Friday) Playoff: 4 PM, 5:30 PM, 7 PM, 8:30 PM

7. Schedule: Women Section [Eastern Time]

Jun 1 (Tuesday) 3 rounds: 5 PM, 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 2 (Wednesday) 2 rounds: 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 3 (Thursday) 2 rounds: 6:30 PM, 8:00 PM

Jun 4 (Friday) Playoff: 4 PM, 5:30 PM, 7:00 PM, 8:30 PM

8. Eligibility: top players by FIDE rating for Open, by average CFC/FIDE rating for Women. Players who have already guaranteed WC or WWC spot shall not play.

9. Entry fee: 150 CAD. 75 CAD refunded if a player completed all games without cheating.

10. Chief Arbiter: IA Aris Marghetis.

11. Fair play: between closing of registration and the first day of play, a drawing of lots will be held virtually. At that same online session, players must have their proposed playing area "qualified". Players must be qualified ahead of the first day of play. Players must play their games at the same place and with the same device, with which they were qualified. All games will be statistically analyzed with at least 2 resources.

12. The deadline for registration: May 26.

13. 2 winners of each tournament qualify for WC/WWC.

Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Monday, 17th May, 2021, 04:11 PM.

I need to assemble 2 Deputy Arbiters (paid positions) and 3 Appeals Committee members (honourary!)

With the same deadline of May 26th, please email your application to arismarghetis at rogers dot com

For all 5 positions, please include your level of experience with any major playing zones / platforms

Please note that the Deputy Arbiters will also work 1-2 "qualification" evenings a few days before

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis, Chief Arbiter.
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 17th May, 2021, 04:33 PM. Reason: sig

Comment

What server will be used for this event?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
        What server will be used for this event?
        I started with a list of my four favorites, and now I'm leaning more towards two of them than the other two. So I'm negotiating with my now two favourites, especially regarding dedicated human support. I also personally tend to emphasize predictable connectivity. The other big factor will be the experience breadth of my Deputy Arbiters. All decisions to be made by around May 26th.

By the way, if anyone has a special situation, they need to email Victor!

Comment

I want to be able to collect the games easily, and have minimal problems matching the "handles" of the players with their real names.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            I want to be able to collect the games easily, and have minimal problems matching the "handles" of the players with their real names.
            So even though I hadn't thought of that angle yet, I have good news for you: I'll be collecting all the games for Fair Play analysis, and I can provide them to you with real names.

Please send me an action email by May 30th.

Thank you, arismarghetis at rogers dot com

Comment

Why are we restricting numbers? If you are over 2200 why can you not participate? I want young players to get in and play.

Comment

I remember a regular discussions here about the best format for Zonal - Swiss or RR. My opinion always was that the strong swiss (like in 2019 with a very strict observation of a rating floor) is the best format for Zonal. However, in a current situation I think that swiss has many problems.

European and American qualifiers were traditionally organized in Swiss, usually 13 rounds (!!) for European and 9-10 rounds for American Continental. They both use a knockout system now.

Formally speaking, the format was approved during last director's meeting and now, 10 days before the start of the tournament, it's too late to change. Some players already registered including Canadian Champion GM E.Bareev. His participation is a very pleasant surprise for me taking into account his well-known concern about online tournaments.
                Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Thursday, 20th May, 2021, 06:50 AM.

Comment

If I may add, as we're being forced into an online format, opening up to a larger Swiss would make the Fair Play beast unmanageable. And Fair Play is a top priority here. We had ~3 dozen players over 2200 at Kingston 2019. I don't know we could find enough Canadian Fair-Play-tested Online Arbiters for even that few players in an online swiss. I was one who recommended a round-robin.

Am I happy with the situation, no. But we have to decide now on our best qualifiers for these WC/WWC.

Comment

The list of preregistered players for Open Zonal:

1. GM E.Bareev (2638)
                    2. GM R.Preotu (2487)
                    3. IM R.Panjwani (2448)
                    4. IM M.Plotkin (2430)
                    5. IM S.Thavandiran (2420)
                    6. IM M.Kleinman (2387)
                    7. FM R.Talukdar (2341)
                    8. J.Bellissimo (2203)
                    9. M.Chen (1997)

I will regularly update this list.
                    Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Thursday, 20th May, 2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                      I need to assemble 2 Deputy Arbiters (paid positions) and 3 Appeals Committee members (honourary!)

With the same deadline of May 26th, please email your application to arismarghetis at rogers dot com

For all 5 positions, please include your level of experience with any major playing zones / platforms

Please note that the Deputy Arbiters will also work 1-2 "qualification" evenings a few days before

bumping this, thank you

Comment

The list of preregistered players for Women Zonal.

1. WIM Pham Bich Ngoc FIDE=CFC=2235
                        2. WIM S.Demchenko (2071+2281)/2=2176
                        3. WCM J.Tsukerman (1523+1860)/2=1691.5
                        4. C.D'souza (1302+1771)/2=1536.5
                        Last edited by Victor Plotkin; Tuesday, 25th May, 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Hello again, in case it's not clear from my previous posts, the Arbiters would be "Online" from home (they WON'T be Hybrid Arbiters onsite with anyone)

(and of course the Appeals Committee would be virtual as well)

Comment

Wrong thread for my post.
                            Last edited by Hans Jung; Monday, 24th May, 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                              Plot (thick)kins. Ive added Mark's round 2 game to my rook pawns post. Nice game Mark! Enjoyed it so much. Congratulations!
                              Did you mean to post this in a Continental thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X