X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Payoffs, Points and 12-Year-Old Grandmasters

Payoffs, Points and 12-Year-Old Grandmasters

July 13, 2021

Recently, Abhimanyu Mishra broke Karjakin’s record of world’s youngest grandmaster by two months.

From a New York Times article:

Like Karjakin’s parents more than two decades ago, Mishra’s father, Hemant, had a lot at stake in seeing his son claim the title. He said he spent more than $270,000 on making his son the world’s youngest grandmaster, and he had been collecting donations online to make their chess dream come true. The small advantages that the money could buy — in scheduling, in opposition, in timing — began to add up as he closed in on his final norm.

Mishra, who described Karjakin as his idol, played in five so-called norm tournaments in Charlotte, N.C., in the fall of 2020 and spring of 2021 but did not achieve a single norm. With the deadline to beat Karjakin’s record bearing down, he and his father next traveled to Budapest, where Abhimanyu Mishra played eight tournaments in a row.

At these tournaments, norm-seekers paid the organizers, who in turn paid grandmasters to show up, a legal and common arrangement in professional chess. But the quality was not the same; the average rating of Mishra’s opponents in the Budapest events was nearly 50 points lower than it had been in Charlotte.

At the Budapest tournaments, Mishra had the added advantage of playing against the same group of grandmasters again and again, which allowed him to learn their tactics and styles.

Still, Mishra’s rise to grandmaster will mark the start of a new life for him. He was recently featured on the websites of ESPN and People magazine and was invited to the upcoming Chess World Cup, one of the most prestigious tournaments in the sport with a purse of nearly $1.9 million.

Hemant Mishra said his son achieved the title legitimately and that suggesting otherwise would be “utter nonsense.” But top players are publicly questioning Mishra’s title and criticizing the system that helped him get it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/13/s...gtype=Homepage

The article is entitled “The Dark Side of Chess: Payoffs, Points and 12-Year-Old Grandmasters by Ivan Nechepurenko and Misha Friedman.

It might be behind a paywall.

The first part details how Karjakin got his title. Not pretty.

Yan Nepomniachtchi on Twitter: "I’m dazzled with the new record, so I’d like to suggest some changes to the order of conferring titles. For example, one of the norms must be fulfilled in an open tournament, and the participation of 2400 GM luminaries.

Yan’s point is taken up in this criticism:

https://gamelevate.com/the-youngest-...orm-factories/

See also:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...ge3#post213970

Anybody who looked at his games could see he was playing at GM strength. (referring to GM Mishra)
    The system is what it is but you definitely have to be well trained and well prepared to do it.

Comment

Even though I live in Budapest, I found out the record was broken by reading Chesstalk. If I thought I was going to witness the next big thing in chess I would taken a but/tram across the river to have look and take a picture at least. There is a small group of foreign players living in the city, not one person mentioned it to me. I have a few Hungarian player friends also, no one mentioned it to me to cover for my blog. As rule every FS norm is a paper norm.

Once a year in the city there is a traditional GM-IM RR plus open-The Budapest Open where I will play in the Open(like I do every year) and this year(as most years) will be a legit norm tournament. The GM group has GMs 2560,2523,2494. Also playing is likely the next Hungarian GM Csonka, Balazs(2498). There is another 2473 IM from SVK.

There are two types of players who seek norms at 'Saturday' tournaments. Foreign players(the cash cows) and Hungarian players. The Hungarian version of norm culture has its own way of working. As I don't speak Hungarian I only have a faint idea how it works. The foreign norm seekers do things in whatever way they want.

In my first trip to Hungary I played in Kecskemet(another series of RRs) the organizer has since passed away. I stayed 4 months in the summer of 1993. Once I got a draw against an IM. Let me tell you how. I showed up at the board on time and waited. The other games also were taking place. I kept waiting. The I went to check the results and wowee I had a draw! The organizer was not there. The arbiter did not speak English, but one of the house IMs explained it. The organizer thought that I would happy with a draw! Well I was not, as I came to play and learn. 'Where is my opponent?' and the answer was he is away in another tournament trying to win money....etc I was not that happy. I talked to the organizer and voiced my displeasure, but the game was not rescheduled.

In another RR same organizer same location, the day before the last round, one foreign player approached me(A Ukrainian player) "Mike! we play tomorrow", I know I will prepare... The player was leading the group and was clearly IM level and most likely would steamroller me over. "Mike really I want a draw tomorrow! can we agree?" I explained he was stronger and very likely would win no matter. He clarified. "I want the norm. I need it. I want to be sure. so Draw? I want something I said. "Can we analyze a line for an hour?" I want to learn something . "Deal!!" we shook hands. He got a draw. He got a norm and the title I got my lesson.

First Saturday has its own stories :) You just have to be here.

My second visit was 1995 when I played First Saturday. Anyway nothing surprises me about games and results and norms and such. I don't bother following the Saturday series. Winners get a piece of paper and the Hungarian norm winners and title holders play in the Hungarian Team Ch and are recruited to play in Bundesliga etc and everyone is happy. I know for sure how one norm got 'made' but this was 1995. I believed it because the IM who tossed the game told me he did and then proceeded to explain how the deal worked. He also explained to me that I was a tourist and did not understand the culture-he was right. He wanted to win the tournament but a Hungarian player needed to win for the norm. The Hungarian asked his friend(also playing) to also toss a game to the IM. The IM won the tournament, the norm seeker got his norm and everyone was happy. I was rather naïve though. It was the the other foreign players who alerted me to the fix. 'But how do you know I asked?" Just look at the norm winners face. He hung his head and avoided eye contact with anyone. Look at the IM's game. He played 1.d4 which he doesn't play, then allowed a Classical King's Indian a big pawn storm and the loss.

I still did not believe so I just asked him if he gave the game and then got the big explanation. This a small part of how things get done here.

So back to the record of the kid. I don't care about his norm(s) or his title or his record. He might well be a big star in chess in the future, but it means nothing to me
      Last edited by Michael Yip; Wednesday, 14th July, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Another "open secret", it's not just games for titles being bought, but also tournaments...

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comme...es_for_titles/

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Another "open secret", it's not just games for titles being bought, but also tournaments...

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comme...es_for_titles/
          Thanks everyone for these posts. I think my glasses have been too rose-coloured. This really is quite sobering stuff.

Comment

It was not my original intention to stay for so long(about 10 years now) but I fell in love with the chess scene and met some nice people/players in the Hungarian chess world. My huge mistake was not learning to speak Hungarian though- Life changed radically up when I was invited to join the small Rakosligeti team(basically the chess version of grumpy old Hungarian men). Soon this team was absorbed by a big club MTK(which also has a big football team) then I was just a guy with a modest 2000-ish rating. I learned some big chess lessons and never had any problems with the chess environment except for one person. Then I earned the label "Enemy of First Saturday". It seems I was just too nice when I arrived and did not have a hard enough edge to my personality. Well this could be the subject of another post one day.

Comment

Working...
            X