X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Cohen, Canada’s Chess Historian

David Cohen, Canada’s Chess Historian

July 22, 2021

David passed peacefully at home, on Wednesday, July 21 at 20:46 with his wife Lisette at his side.

He had gone through many rounds of chemotherapy but the tumour kept returning.
    _________

I met him off and on over the past ten years.

I asked him in 2016 for copies of some old Canadian material. He replied

“But I'm pretty sure that I have the stuff from the 60s,70s,80s,90s you need. Please be patient - I may have to move literally a hundred boxes to get at it. I'll do it on the condition I mentioned earlier - that you can get me a PDF in return. The reason is that my wife Lisette won't mind my taking time for this only if she knows that at the end of the tunnel, the light is that I dispose of the hard copies and replace them with the PDFs.”

In November of 2020 he asked me for a copy of a game he needed and some analyses and mentioned that he was editing a manuscript by Ken Winterton with the view to publishing it for his family. As far as I know, the book was never published.

He researched, compiled and wrote Canadian Chess Biographies in the period 2000-2018

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...graphiesM.html

He started the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame. Larry Bevand published a photo of David in this forum at:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...by-david-cohen

to which David replied:

“Trivia: the tie I'm wearing in the photo isn't mine, it got loaned to me for the photo. If you think I don't have hair in this photo, well, now I'm 7 years older and have even less. Okay, seriously, thanks for the write up. My web site (http://www.canadianchess.info) is still there and is the best way to contact me. Our next Canadian Chess Hall of Fame induction will be soon!”

When he read a chess book, he would read it cover to cover. This posting:

https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...-read-recently

Chess books I've read recently

Thursday, 18th March, 2021,
    I've been keeping busy reading chess books (326 lifetime).
    Here's the ones I read in 2020:

The Bobby Fischer I Knew and other stories by Arnold Denker, Larry Parr

Breaking Through by Susan Polgar, Paul Truong

The Art of the Middle Game by Paul Keres, Alexander Kotov, Harry Golombek

- I bought this one from the CFC around 1981, when Jonathan Berry recommended it. Thanks Jonathan!

My First Chess Club by David Cohen, Sofia Polgar

- Not cheating to count this one, since Sofia contributed the rhymes plus the beautiful illustrations. You can find it on Amazon (paperback) and Kindle (e-book).

The Anatomy of Chess Error by Kenneth Winterton

- I edited this manuscript written by Ottawa master Ken Winterton in 1973. It's around 600 pages with 500 diagrams. Hoping to publish it within the next few months.

Here's the ones I read in 2021:

Grandmaster Preparation by Lev Polugaevsky

- I remember Gordon Taylor recommending this when he worked at the CFC in the 80s. As with the Keres/Kotov book, I should have read this ages ago, it's a wonderful book.

The Development of Chess Style by Max Euwe

Plus, during '20-21 I played through all of the games in:

Maroczy's 100 Chess Games by Geza Maroczy, Kagan
    Gata Kamsky - Chess Gamer: Volume 1 Awakening 1989-1996 by Gata Kamsky
    Gata Kamsky - Chess Gamer: Volume 2 Return 2004-2013 by Gata Kamsky
    My Most Memorable Games by Boris Gelfand
    Grandmaster Performance by Lev Polugaevsky
    Fire on Board: Shirov's Best Games by Alexei Shirov
    Fire on Board Part II: 1997-2004 by Alexei Shirov
    The Best of the Best 1000 by Chess Informant (Top 10 in each of Vol.1-100)
    The Best of the Best: the next chapter 1001-1100 by Chess Informant (Top 10 in each of Vol.101-110)
    _________

David Cohen was a graduate of Yale University School of Management. David co-founded the Chess Institute of Canada and has taught chess for over 20 years. He was on the Board of Directors of the Chess Federation of Canada and the Ontario Chess Association for many years, and served as President of the Greater Toronto Chess League in 2002-3. His experience as a tournament organizer and director includes the 1984 and 2011 Canadian Open Championships, 1984 Pan-American Intercollegiate Team Championship, 1986 and 1987 Canadian Cadet (Under 16) Championships, and 2001 and 2011 Canadian Women's Championships.

And his biography in Canadian Chess Info:

2020 Published My First Chess Club by David Cohen, Sofia Polgar on Amazon and Kindle
    2015 Awarded Arena International Master title by World Chess Federation (FIDE)
    2015 Awarded Arena FIDE Master title by World Chess Federation (FIDE)
    2015 Awarded Arena Candidate Master title by World Chess Federation (FIDE)
    2013 Awarded National Candidate Master title by Chess Federation of Canada
    2012 Author, 2016 Chess Olympiad Toronto Bid Book
    2011 Executive Producer, 42nd Chess Olympiad Toronto Ontario Canada 2016 Bid - invitation to potential sponsors video
    2011 Executive Producer, 42nd Chess Olympiad Toronto Ontario Canada 2016 Bid - invitation to Toronto video
    2011 Manager, 2016 Toronto Bid for World Chess Olympiad
    2011 Chief Organizer, 15th Canadian Women's Chess Championship
    2011 Chief Organizer, 48th Canadian Open Chess Championship
    2011 Co-author, 48th Canadian Open Chess Championship Souvenir Program Book
    2011 Author, Sponsor Canadian Chess
    2011 Consultant, Chess is Awesome video
    2010 Awarded Canadian Correspondence Chess Association Master title
    2008 Awarded Canadian Correspondence Chess Association Senior Candidate Master title
    2005 Co-Founder, Chess Institute of Canada
    2004 Awarded International Arbiter title, World Chess Federation (FIDE)
    2002-03 Vice-President, Chess Federation of Canada
    2002-03 President, Greater Toronto Chess League
    2002 3rd place, Internet Slow Time Control World Chess Championship
    2001 Organizer, Tournament Director, 10th Canadian Women's Chess Championship
    1999-2005 Board of Governors, Chess Federation of Canada
    1987 Organizer, Tournament Director, 9th Canadian Cadet (Under-16) Chess Championship
    1986 Organizer, Tournament Director, 8th Canadian Cadet (Under-16) Chess Championship
    1982-87 Board of Governors, Chess Federation of Canada
    1981-86 Board of Directors, Ontario Chess Association (Junior Coordinator, Secretary, Treasurer)
    1984 Organizer & Tournament Co-Director, 31st Pan-American Inter-collegiate Team Chess Championship
    1984 Organizer & Tournament Director, 21st Canadian Open Chess Championship
    Master's degree, Yale University School of Management

I hope that other Chess Talk readers can supply anecdotes, games and memories of David.

This is hitting me very hard. David has been one of the giants of Canadian chess for decades. His many and wide contributions stand with those of anyone in our chess nation.
    My closest connection with him came when I, as an Assistant Arbiter, organized an Appeals Committee at the 2013 CYCC in Ottawa, after the final regularly-scheduled round had finished. There was NOT one in place, and I had been presented with a particularly knotty problem. I also asked Herb Langer to serve; both agreed. David, as an IA the most qualified among us, expertly chaired our efforts. We worked together amiably and efficiently, late into the evening, to produce a clear, thorough report in a time-pressured situation; there were CYCC playoffs the next day depending on our decision.
    I think I may have some games from David's participation in the Kingston Open in previous years. If I can find them, I will make them available on this site. I did just post a game of his, as a 'Mystery Game'.
    As well as being a very knowledgeable chess person with a giving heart, David was also a super person.
    Rest In Peace, my friend David Cohen.

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon
    NTD, Kingston

Comment

Sad news indeed. I first met David around 1985 and had been a friend ever since. He was a good person and was very dedicated to chess. We went to many tournaments together in my years in Ottawa. I worked with him on several chess projects over the years. He will be missed. The Canadian chess scene has lost a giant. Rest in peace David.

Comment

David is a wonderful soul and he will be deeply missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. He was always cheerful, and David would make a point of dropping in at the CFC office, and later at Strategy Games in Ottawa, whenever he was in the area. His love for chess was incredible. Someday we shall all be reunited.

Comment

David Cohen, Canada’s Chess Historian

July 22, 2021

David Cohen funeral details as follow:

160 Beecroft Rd. North York.

Grave site: Section 15, Lot 2119
          North west corner of the east half of
          York Cemetery.

Date: Friday, July 23, 2021

Time: 12:30pm

*NOTE: Arrive no later than 12:10 pm to allow time to get to the graveside. Park at the office parking lot. HBB staff at the office entrance will direct you to the graveside.

*Due to Covid restrictions, numbers will be limited to 25 people (plus the clergy). If you plan to attend, please email your name and telephone number to huitoronto@gmail.com

Comment

Very sad news. I remember when David recruited me to serve on the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame about 3 years ago, he told me that he did not have much longer but never elaborated nor did I ask for more details. He was a great contributor to organizing chess and its history. He will be missed. RIP.

Comment

This may be David's longest lasting legacy: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...rst-chess-club A child's poignant memories of her/his first chess club. Full of atmosphere and very touching.
              I have known David for more than 40 years with many interactions, encounters, conversations, shared events and shared tournaments. We had many conversations about exotic countries and travel destinations, interesting books, interesting people. He seemed involved with and loved every aspect of chess. Some highlights from shared encounters: In 96 I won the Ontario Championship. David's reaction was: A dream win in a dream tournament. When he opened up David had a delightfully boyish charming side to him. He was as happy as I was.
              I gave many blindfold exhibitions in the Toronto area and Ontario. David volunteered and became my best move messenger in several of those exhibitions. Even though he enjoyed the positions from the various boards he never made any mistakes, always clear with the moves, often repeating in long form algebraic notation, sometimes with colourful side notes such as: your opponent on board 6 says you have played a particularly nasty move. And those little extras picked me up and gave me extra energy. David was also meticulous with the scoresheets with side notes and would email me copies later.
              And when he committed to an event he saw it through to the end.
              About twenty years ago he organized and directed a Fide tournament that I played in. On the last day he came to me and said I really need you to do me a favour. (one of my opponents had postponed a game due to another event they were playing in) Could you play these two opponents simultaneously? - otherwise there is no way of getting both these games in. I was happy to and played both a well known problem composer and one of Canada's top lady players at the same time and had a lot of fun doing so.
              David lived a full life with alot of interests and he sure loved chess. Thanks again for the great memories David.

Comment

Thanks Hans (and others above) for your thoughtful memorable posts. David, may you rest in peace.

Comment

I have known David for many decades.Always willing to help out. A brilliant fellow. David fought like a lion against this terrible disease. He knew the end was in sight but he kept pushing that date further into the future.

One of his many contributions to Canadian chess was to establish the Canadian Hall of Fame and the Canadian chessplayer of the year award. He has left these in the hands of the Chess'n Math Association and we will do our best to make him proud.

We will miss you David!

RIP

Larry Bevand
                  Executive Director
                  Chess'n Math Association

Comment

David's Eulogy

Lisette Lu

I feel blessed for having David in my life. He brought a LOT of joy! He made it an adventure!

On our journey through Life together, he was always researching, researching and researching. He was tenaciously curious, wanting to explore. Everything interesting led to something even MORE interesting, which in turn, led to something...even MORE interesting...and the thread continued, and the to-do lists expanded.

One of his proudest moments was getting a master's degree in Public and Private Management from Yale. Although he was an accountant by training, he dedicated his work life on all things chess...teaching, organizing, writing, studying and...researching, of course.

David was a very natural person with absolutely nothing artificial about him. What you see is what you get. He had childlike qualities that delighted family and friends. He had very simple tastes. He loved books, reading 4 or 5 books at the same time. In addition he kept meticulous track of ALL the books he had read, as a true accountant. He spent a lot of time at the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books: Toronto Public Library where he befriended the librarians. Link

He was my walking dictionary. He had an amazing memory with names, dates, places, and trivia. He could remember all these 24-letter long foreign names in chess, but if you ask him a practical question; i.e. what he just paid for the bananas, he would not know.

And he loved foods...Especially lamb steaks which were a treat when he was a kid. It was a joy watching him enjoying a lamb steak, holding it up to his mouth with all his fingers, eyes shining with happiness, and a humongous smile on his face. He tracked down ethnic restaurants in Toronto, hoping to eat through the letters of the alphabet from A to Z.

We travelled wide and far, weeks at a time mostly on our own. We saw Northern lights in both the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Moai statues in Easter Islands, Chile, and glacial lakes in Jiuzhaigou. We went as far as Namtso Lake in Tibet, China and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in Lijiang and Shangri-La among other fabulous places. Standing at the summit of Huayna Picchu Mountain in Peru, he forgot for a brief moment his fear of heights. Without David, I would not be able to go to any of these exotic places because of my subzero sense of direction getting lost in my own neighborhood. David was truly my GPS and my walking stick.

What was astonishing about David was his inner strength. I sensed that when I first met him. At the same time, he had this gentleness, innocence, and honesty in him that I fell in love with.

He refused to let illness define him.When he was diagnosed with cancer, it did not stop him. Instead, he focused and tripled down on checking off his bucket list. He kept putting one foot in front of the other and he kept going. During chemo treatment on days that he was not feeling well, he would still keep up his half an hour daily walk even when he had to stop at every block to rest. He was determined to stick to this routine because his oncologist told him that exercise was very important. He kept this up for 3+ years until he could not towards the end as his illness took over.

My memories of us though, will live on, David. Thank you for sharing your life and yourself with me. I never regretted a moment.

You made life so exciting and new. I will always look for you (and find you again and again) in my heart and mind and in our memories and photos.

David, I will look for you in the stars above and in the Northern Lights and in your books and in the people and places and music and movies and everything we have shared.

I love you... I miss you, David...

Lisette

Comment

I am deeply saddened to hear this RIP David.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                        David's Eulogy

Lisette Lu

I feel blessed for having David in my life. He brought a LOT of joy! He made it an adventure!

On our journey through Life together, he was always researching, researching and researching. He was tenaciously curious, wanting to explore. Everything interesting led to something even MORE interesting, which in turn, led to something...even MORE interesting...and the thread continued, and the to-do lists expanded.

One of his proudest moments was getting a master's degree in Public and Private Management from Yale. Although he was an accountant by training, he dedicated his work life on all things chess...teaching, organizing, writing, studying and...researching, of course.

David was a very natural person with absolutely nothing artificial about him. What you see is what you get. He had childlike qualities that delighted family and friends. He had very simple tastes. He loved books, reading 4 or 5 books at the same time. In addition he kept meticulous track of ALL the books he had read, as a true accountant. He spent a lot of time at the Osborne Collection of Early Children's Books: Toronto Public Library where he befriended the librarians. Link

He was my walking dictionary. He had an amazing memory with names, dates, places, and trivia. He could remember all these 24-letter long foreign names in chess, but if you ask him a practical question; i.e. what he just paid for the bananas, he would not know.

And he loved foods...Especially lamb steaks which were a treat when he was a kid. It was a joy watching him enjoying a lamb steak, holding it up to his mouth with all his fingers, eyes shining with happiness, and a humongous smile on his face. He tracked down ethnic restaurants in Toronto, hoping to eat through the letters of the alphabet from A to Z.

We travelled wide and far, weeks at a time mostly on our own. We saw Northern lights in both the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, Moai statues in Easter Islands, Chile, and glacial lakes in Jiuzhaigou. We went as far as Namtso Lake in Tibet, China and Jade Dragon Snow Mountain in Lijiang and Shangri-La among other fabulous places. Standing at the summit of Huayna Picchu Mountain in Peru, he forgot for a brief moment his fear of heights. Without David, I would not be able to go to any of these exotic places because of my subzero sense of direction getting lost in my own neighborhood. David was truly my GPS and my walking stick.

What was astonishing about David was his inner strength. I sensed that when I first met him. At the same time, he had this gentleness, innocence, and honesty in him that I fell in love with.

He refused to let illness define him.When he was diagnosed with cancer, it did not stop him. Instead, he focused and tripled down on checking off his bucket list. He kept putting one foot in front of the other and he kept going. During chemo treatment on days that he was not feeling well, he would still keep up his half an hour daily walk even when he had to stop at every block to rest. He was determined to stick to this routine because his oncologist told him that exercise was very important. He kept this up for 3+ years until he could not towards the end as his illness took over.

My memories of us though, will live on, David. Thank you for sharing your life and yourself with me. I never regretted a moment.

You made life so exciting and new. I will always look for you (and find you again and again) in my heart and mind and in our memories and photos.

David, I will look for you in the stars above and in the Northern Lights and in your books and in the people and places and music and movies and everything we have shared.

I love you... I miss you, David...

Lisette
                        Thank you deeply Francis for sharing that.

Comment

My deepest condolences. I admired his energetic commitment to Chess in Canada.

RIP David

Comment

Working...
                          X