Is it time to re-open the chess clubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to re-open the chess clubs?

Have any chess clubs re-opened? If so, what are your protocols?
    I've been asked about re-opening our club and I'd like to hear what others are planning.

Keep in mind that it may not be simply a matter of the chess club making a decision - for example, a club may be located in a venue (church, community centre, company premises) that have their own unique situation to deal with. I think many clubs are taking a wait and see approach at least until the end of the summer. I know that sort of algorithm can extend ad infinitum from one season to the next, but many are hearing footsteps of a 4th wave ... Look at the controversy over reopening schools etc. It will not be an easy decision.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

The Kingston Chess Club has been having ongoing discussions among members and with our landlord, on just this topic, for a few weeks now. We had met for about the past 20 years in a church, which has been recently bought, and which is now in the process of undergoing renovation into a youth community centre / residence, managed by the new ownership. It is a very good site, and we would like to stay there. I think there is a good possibility that the KCC will resume activities in early September, should vaccine progress continue as it has been going.

Comment

When our club closed, we were following the lead of the schools. Now that the schools are opening for the fall, I thought it time to start the dialogue.
        I agree that each situation will be unique and I'm in communication with the church where we play. Of course, their rules will be applied.

I would think that hand sanitizers and masks is a good starting point.
        1. Should gloves be required?
        2. Should drinking at the board be allowed?
        3. Should there be a barrier between the two players?
        There are a lot of unknowns and no real guidance.
        I started this thread to get an idea of what others think will be required.
        Maybe it's too soon to start talking about this, but I thought I'd give it a go.

On-line chess is "ok", but I miss the tension of falling prey, over the board, to a gunslinger 50+ years my junior.

Comment

I get the impression (might be wrong) that the London Ontario club never stopped!.

Comment

Hi George. Just speaking with Ken at Hamilton club. They are hoping to open Mid September.

Comment

We all are, and must be, free to make our own choices about whether or not to be vaxinated. The same goes for meeting with others in public, be it over a game of chess or something else. Personally I do not believe we are out of the woods just yet, and I will not be meeting with people in public for any reason, unless the meeting cannot possibly be avoided. Pandeimics generally last three years, thus we are half way through this one if history is any indication. It may well get worse long before it gets better and stays that way. I fear that humanity is jumping the gun and erring on the side of recklessness/money rather than caution. But again, each of us are entitled to make our own choices. And to live/die with the consequences.

Comment

I think any OTB venue will be a high cost to the organizers and club executives. There will be sanitizing and cleaning staff needed while the event is in progress.
                In schools they may limit your access to space and where you can go in the school. Their costs will be much higher as school board staff are paid more.

I think the only clubs that will do well are the ones that own their own buildings. They have control of their events and can make the venue more protected with their own installations of shields between players, cleaning staff etc.

I will probably wear a mask at the board regardless of the venue. My reason for this is that people come to events and may have colds and maybe even the flu .
                If they sneeze ,you get a small bit of protection.from the mask. I travel on the bus and since everyone has to wear a mask I have not heard many people sneezing and for now I have not had a cold since covid started.
                Last edited by John Brown; Saturday, 7th August, 2021, 12:33 PM. Reason: additions corrections

Comment

It looks like the Kingston Chess Club will NOT be able to re-open for September, in the location we had been using, due to major construction about to start there. The new owners are talking about January 2022 as the soonest possible. The KCC may look into a different location for September 2021.

Comment

The Scarborough Chess Club looks to be aiming for January 2022 reopening.

From http://www.scarboroughchessclub.ca :
                    =======================================
                    COVID-19 Update

Club Reopening in January
                    Subject to City of Toronto pandemic protocols, the Scarborough Chess Club is planning to resume operation in January 2022. The Annual General Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 7:30 PM and play at the club is to resume on Thursday, January 13, 2022.
                    These plans are subject to public health advice and guidelines and may change according to circumstances in January. Please check the club website closer to the start of January for updates and new information.
                    =======================================

Comment

Some chess is back in Ottawa.

From the RA Centre:

Welcome Back!

The RA Chess Club will return on Thursday, September 16, 2021

It is with great excitement that we announce the re-opening of the RA Chess Club after a very long 16 month closure.

Programming Information – The RA Chess Club will return Thursdays, 7:00pm to 10:30pm and Sundays, 1:00pm to 4:00pm. At this time due to mandated capacity restrictions, each session will be limited to 40 individuals and will be managed on a first-come, first-serve ticketing system upon arrival. The RA will continue to monitor restrictions and will open availability past 40 individuals once we are able to.

Put on your masks. We will be playing CFC rated pickup chess. 60 min plus 30 sec a move. Games start at 7 PM and must be finished at 10:30 the building closes at 11 PM.

Comment

The Kingston Chess Club will apparently be meeting on Monday, Sept. 13, in a different location from usual. Haven't yet heard confirmation of this. I think the first meeting will be mainly to discuss protocols for COVID-19 conditions. KCC President Dave Gordon (no, not the Ottawa guy!) and I spoke about this last week. Our website hadn't yet been updated, last I checked. KCC's last meeting was mid-March 2020.

Comment

The Montreal Chess Club reopened last week with two game a week events. Masks not required at the board, but required when moving around. Proof of vaccinations required.

The Ahuntsic CC reopens this weekend.

Comment

The KW chess club (Kitchener - Waterloo, Ontario) is meeting starting the first Tuesday in October, every Tuesday into the new year (2022) 7pm onwards at St. Johns Anglican Church (enter off Duke Street less than one block from city hall (corner of Duke and Water)). Kitchener City Hall is still closed except for individual appointments and that looks to be continuing into the unforeseeable future. Masks and physical distancing required.

Comment

Working...
                            X