Norway Chess 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

impressive second halves from firouzja and carlsen. with a pretty uninspiring showing by nepo (apart from his berlin massacre vs karjakin), carlsen has to be feeling good heading into their november match

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/norway-chess-2021-r10 Final standings and report on Norway Chess.

Comment

Richard Rapport (my opinion) had the best tournament of all the players. He led for most of the tournament except for a slip at the finish. Last three rounds he went from clear first to good chances for first and then an upset by Firoujza (great game by Firoujza) meant a third place finish. Still a great tournament by Rapport.

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/gukesh...n-masters-2021 This was the masters section (part of the Norway Open) Lovely games, especially the Gukesh one where he sacrificed a pawn, an exchange, and a bishop (twice!) and then clinched it with a rook pawn march!

Comment

I hate to say it, but this thread makes me miss Wayne already. I loved the way he used to post games and diagrams and the tournament report. So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
              I hate to say it, but this thread makes me miss Wayne already. I loved the way he used to post games and diagrams and the tournament report. So sad.
              I absolutely agree. I must admit that when I saw your post had popped up in this thread, I immediately thought about Wayne and his meticulous reporting and very humble commentary. Damn shame really.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
                It's good to know I'm not alone in having the same feelings. Wayne may be among the last of a dying breed. He obviously loved the world of elite chess like no one else on this forum does, and he liked to relate some of the human stories behind the scenes at the GM level.

I even thought maybe I should try a hand at doing what he was doing, but I don't have any clue what his method was and where he got his information. Plus I don't think I could express his same sincerity. He made top level chess seem worthy of the love that he felt for it. It just came through in his posts, every time.

I googled his name and there is almost nothing about him. Looks like he may have been involved in WWII, perhaps in the air force, but for that I'm only going by a couple of old b&w photos.

If anyone knows anything about him, this would be a good spot to post it for those outside of his family.

Comment

Perhaps if anyone spots an online obituary they would be kind enough to post it here on CT? It seems to sometimes take many days for an obituary to appear... no idea why.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

I googled his name and there is almost nothing about him. Looks like he may have been involved in WWII, perhaps in the air force, but for that I'm only going by a couple of old b&w photos.
                    While echoing the sentiments expressed here, I note from the other thread that Wayne was born in 1941 which would make him a little young to be involved in WWII ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post

While echoing the sentiments expressed here, I note from the other thread that Wayne was born in 1941 which would make him a little young to be involved in WWII ...
                      I asked Matthew, Wayne's son, about possible military involvement. His reply made me laugh!

Good evening Ken,

It’s really comforting reading through the posts, I am forever grateful being able to read these and get insight into my fathers love for elite chess.

No he was never in the military, although born the same year as the attack on Pearl Harbour.

He was in the cadets as a youth and teen but that was as close to combat as my father got unless it was next to an analogue chess clock.

Thank you again,

Matt

He told me that he would write something about his dad when he gets through all the paper-work and stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X