David Cohen and His National Archives/Library and Archives Canada Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Cohen and His National Archives/Library and Archives Canada Project

I think David told me that Our National Archives Canada required publishers to send 2 copies of any Canadian publication to the National Archives. Maybe someone can help with that information.

“National Archives of Canada, formerly the Public Archives of Canada until 1987, merged with the National Library of Canada in 2004 to become Library and Archives Canada. Established in 1872, it continues its mandate as part of Library and Archives Canada.”

David and I had worked on a project to safeguard Canadian Chess Publications. We (mostly David) checked 100s of chess publications issued in Canada against the National Archives On-Line Catalogue. If he found one that was not catalogued, we set it aside to eventually donate it to the NA. With that completed, David talked to the NA in an attempt to get them to accept a donation of publications which were not in their catalogue. I vaguely recall David saying they told him they did not have the resources to accept them. So, David put many boxes of uncatalogued Canadian chess publications in his “locker” waiting for a time when he could do this.

Recently, I talked to Lisette to enquire what had happened to this collection. I was hoping it had not just “disappeared.” Lisette told me that in May, David, with the help of his brother, Nigel, had moved this collection to a close friend in Ottawa, Philip Jurgens, who had agreed to catalogue and try again to donate the publications to our NA.

By that time, David had been through many rounds of chemo and was very ill.

In spite of his health problems, he still took the time to do something for Canadian Chess.

Fantastic work from all involved!

Comment

Bravo to David and Ken.

Comment

Philip gave me a book which I cherish to this very day ... The Story Of Architecture In England ... he was wearing red low top Chuck Taylor All Stars.

I didn't need to know anything more than that.

Humbled still, after all these years.

Comment

I glad to see that the attempts will continue. Hope it bears fruit soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
            I think David told me that Our National Archives Canada required publishers to send 2 copies of any Canadian publication to the National Archives. Maybe someone can help with that information.

“National Archives of Canada, formerly the Public Archives of Canada until 1987, merged with the National Library of Canada in 2004 to become Library and Archives Canada. Established in 1872, it continues its mandate as part of Library and Archives Canada.”

David and I had worked on a project to safeguard Canadian Chess Publications. We (mostly David) checked 100s of chess publications issued in Canada against the National Archives On-Line Catalogue. If he found one that was not catalogued, we set it aside to eventually donate it to the NA. With that completed, David talked to the NA in an attempt to get them to accept a donation of publications which were not in their catalogue. I vaguely recall David saying they told him they did not have the resources to accept them. So, David put many boxes of uncatalogued Canadian chess publications in his “locker” waiting for a time when he could do this.

Recently, I talked to Lisette to enquire what had happened to this collection. I was hoping it had not just “disappeared.” Lisette told me that in May, David, with the help of his brother, Nigel, had moved this collection to a close friend in Ottawa, Philip Jurgens, who had agreed to catalogue and try again to donate the publications to our NA.

By that time, David had been through many rounds of chemo and was very ill.

In spite of his health problems, he still took the time to do something for Canadian Chess.
            Hello Ken, would you be able to pass along my email address (arismarghetis at rogers dot com) to Philip? I am also in Ottawa, and over the years, I've received hundreds of donated chess books (in English, French, German, Russian). I just never find the time to "process" them, but maybe someone like Philip would accept me delivering them to him. No time pressure of course. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Ken!!

Comment

David's collection couldn't be in better hands. Philip is the best person to handle this task. All the best.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                X