World Championship 2021 match will start Nov. 24!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game 6, at 136 moves, may be the longest decisive game, and perhaps also the longest overall game, in a World title match. Black, in the ending of R+N vs Q, had the type of position which is very hard to hold against super opposition; it is so hard to find a plan for Black; wonderfully played by the champion!

Two previous very long games, both drawn: Tal vs Botvinnik, 1961; and Korchnoi vs Karpov, 1978; both in the 120-move range.

Comment

In the commentary by Judit Polgar and Surya Ganguly (?) I believe it was mentioned when there were only 7 pieces left on the board (Black K+Q; White K+R+N+P P) the position was a tablebase draw.... with the usual caveat 'with best play'. That last part proved to be Nepo's undoing - lost of places for Black to lose the thread of the defense whereas White slowly grinds ahead. That sounds like a description of many of Magnus' games! Amazing stamina by Magnus (and the commentators too!) over nearly 8 full hours of play.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Brilliant game by Magnus. The queen was a mere spectator at the end. Lots of hard work, stress, and mental duress in the last 60 moves of the game (from Rxf7+!) and Magnus was short of time too. A game to talk about for a long time. (its one thing for computer evals and entirely another to play it over the board). Fantastic, awe - inspiring performance!

Comment

https://en.chessbase.com/post/world-...onship-2021-g6 Analysis by Anish Giri.

Comment

Game 7 draw

Its the half way point of the match.

Comment

Very tight match up to now. Nepo is playing very well but he's playing against an extraordinary human. Only +1 for Magnus, the match is by no means finished, And Nepo has difficulties with Magnus secret weapon the Marshall. Imagine that gambit is more than a hundred years and is still a very valid opening. Amazing what an invention by Frank Marshall. Of course Nepo is playing some anti- Marshall, but still it shows rhe well deserved reputation of the Marshall gambit.

Comment

Magnus' move order might be a psychology ploy (The threat is stronger ...), Black is not obliged to play the Marshall after 8.c3 but instead can return to the other mainlines after 8...d6.

Comment

I think game 6 will be recognized as one of the greatest of all time. It had a bit of everything!! Perhaps Black can draw with perfect play; not attainable at the board in this instance with fast time controls and no adjournments. I think a player such as Paul Keres could perhaps have drawn with Black given the chance to adjourn and resume.

The Marshall Gambit was kept under wraps by Frank Marshall (1877-1944) for a decade, before he unveiled it for the first time against J. R. Capablanca (1888-1942), at New York 1918. He had played the Petroff (Russian) resolutely against 1.e4, during that period. As it turned out, Capa won the game!! He became World Champion 1921-1927. Marshall was U.S. champion at the time (1909-1936). But Capa, a Cuban who was not eligible for the U.S. title, had thrashed him in an unofficial match in 1909, not quite ten years before the Marshall Gambit made its first appearance.

GM Boris Spassky likewise essayed the Marshall as his main weapon against 1.e4 in his 1965 Candidates' final match against GM Mikhail Tal. GM Spassky won the match.

I tried out an interesting anti-Marshall variation against Kingston's Geoff McKay (2000+ player, many-time Kingston champion, who was a Marshall aficionado) in a number of friendly games a few years ago. In four games with the variation, I won two and drew two. I haven't seen it played elsewhere.
                  The line goes:
                  1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 O-O 8.Na3!?, and now 8...d5 (the Marshall themed move) 9.exd5 Nxd5 10.c4!?
                  Now, if 10...bxc4 11.Nxc4; if 10...b4 11.Nc2.; I think White has a good position in either case, and there is a lot of energy still on the board with some imbalance. Of course, there are other possibilities. NM Christopher Pace declined the idea with 8...d6, reverting to more normal play in the Closed variations, when I tried it against him in a 2017 friendly game at quick time controls at the Kingston Chess Club. Although White's N/a3 looks on a limb, I got a good game and managed to win, for one of my very few times against Chris!

Comment

Olimpiu Urcan on Twitter: This epic Magnus Carlsen versus Ian Nepomniachtchi game lasted longer than the whole 7 episodes of "The Queen's Gambit" mini-series on Netflix.

Comment

I don't know if Nepo can strike back ... hopefully he will.

Comment

Rd 8 Nepo is playing shaky moves. Is b5 a blunder? Looks like he overlooked Qa3+. Even with the computer evaluations saying + 1.5 for White, if you do some basic analysis you find he will be down a pawn, his king is not safe and White's pieces are more active. Not good.
                        Headed into a queen and pawn endgame with Nepo trying to save it but White is two pawns up and the computer says +5.
                        Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 5th December, 2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Magnus won relatively easily today in a Petroff defense from Nepo. He played 3 d4 which is recommended by Wesley So and Anish Giri in their Chessable courses. 3 d4 is not the main move but is the highest scoring move in my database. Nepo had a small minus throughout and played the bad move b5 as Hans noted. Magnus takes a commanding lead with only 6 game remaining.

Comment

Nepo should have played 10 Qe7 after 10 Qe1 + and Magnus would have had only a small advantage. Probably Nepo wanted a more complex game but it became complex only for him as Magnus' edge was increasing a lot.

Comment

Two strikes against Nepo. Decision time. What to do?

Comment

Nepo must open the machine (anyway that's what he does most of the time) and play the Grunfeld or Najdorf but Magnus will play it very safe. Maybe 3 Bb5 + against the Sicilian which Magnus plays often and with success. And against the Grunfeld enters some endgames lines which are slightly in white's favor. Nepo is in a very bad situation. His odds of winning this match are now very slim in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X