World Championship 2021 match will start Nov. 24!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    What a beautiful way to end the match! With a king hunt!
    It's a torture.

The life with the engine is quite different - blunders are shown immediately.

Comment

• Well its over. Magnus wins in the endgame. 4-0 with 7 draws.

Comment

• Four decisive games, what more could we ask for?

Comment

• Magnus is a well deserving World Champion, he will be seen as the GOAT , many actually think that he is right now. Right now, I see 1 Kasparov 2 Magnus 3 Fischer. But it is only a question of years before I put him as no 1,

Magnus plays many different openings as white or black, has a tremendous positional sense, calculates accurately long tactical variations, and excels in endgame and plays for the win most of the time. Kasparov said that Magnus is the combination of the best of Karpov and Fischer and I think this representation very accurately describes Magnus.

Comment

• Congratulations to GM Magnus Carlsen for defending his title, in such a dominant fashion! I expected a more competitive match. It seems the champion's experience and overall strength was just too much for GM Nepo, who I thought would win at least one game, based on his classical score against Magnus, coming into the match.

So, what is Magnus going to do now for a challenge!? He's got this chess thing figured out pretty good! How about starring as the next James Bond!? He's young, he's got the movie star good looks, and we know he can take care of Russians!!

Comment

• I follow title matches since 1978 (Karpov - Korchnoi). This match was the less interesting one. I don't want to say the worst one, but generally it was. Unfortunately...

Comment

• Yes, not so good for chess when there is just no challenge. Fifth WC for Carlsen and only 2 game loss (for 19 wins, counting tie-brakers) and in 3 of those WC he just destroyed his opponent.
                Hopefully Firouzja will continue to improve and will get to Carlsen's level.

Comment

• Garry Kasparov ...

Congrats to Magnus for a dominant performance vs Nepomniachtchi, who failed to put up any resistance after the game 6 loss. Carlsen rarely had to show his best here, but you cannot blame the shark if his opponent becomes a minnow!

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/statu...76746072031234

Comment

• Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                    Congratulations to GM Magnus Carlsen for defending his title, in such a dominant fashion! I expected a more competitive match. It seems the champion's experience and overall strength was just too much for GM Nepo, who I thought would win at least one game, based on his classical score against Magnus, coming into the match.

So, what is Magnus going to do now for a challenge!? He's got this chess thing figured out pretty good! How about starring as the next James Bond!? He's young, he's got the movie star good looks, and we know he can take care of Russians!!
                    He's got this chess thing figured out pretty good.... That's what they said about Lee Sedol and the game of Go until Sodol came up against AlphaGo.

Maybe the next challenge for Magnus should be a match against AlphaZero.

Regarding Magnus as Bond, here's a list I came up with....

Top 10 New James Bond Movie Titles Starring Magnus Carlson as Bond

10. Knights In White Satin

09. From Norway With No Love

08. Moonrooker

07. A Move To A Kill (alternative: A View To An En Passant)

06. OctoPawnsy

05. Dr. So (costarring Wesley So)

04. On Her Majesty's Long Diagonal

03. A Deeper Shahade of Black (costarring Jennifer Shahade)

02. Checkmates Are Forever

01. Die on YOUR Time

Comment

• Fabiano Caruana was quite a challenge to Magnus, he came very close. Ding Liren would be a very interesting opponent. Nepo collapsed completely after the fantastic game 6. In the 3 losses he had after game 6, he made 3 very big blunders. He did not play as if he was worthy of being the challenger.

The are many young kid who are very strong and Alireza is leading the pack, that generation is going to beat Magnus. But Magnus is a very very strong chess player and very difficult to beat

Comment

• I think Magnus is getting stronger!! He certainly prepared exceptionally well, given his minus score against Nepo, coming into the match, at classical controls. Magnus seemed to keep Nepo guessing in the openings, with his variety, and sequencing of changes. Nepo got essentially nothing with the White pieces, and even lost two games with White. I am surprised that we didn't see at least one game with the Sicilian, especially from Nepo.

Responding to Pargat, I've got another scenario for Magnus in the title role for a new James Bond 007 film:
                        He chases the villain into an international chess tournament site, where Canada's IA / IO Hal Bond is supervising the play. It's in Norway, of course!! Cyber-warfare is the heart of the conflict; Russian villains are influencing elections again. The two come into contact; Magnus as James Bond says: "The name is Bond, James Bond." Hal replies: "The name is Bond, Hal Bond!!"
                        We need to work on a script and a title!!

Incidentally, I am now reading the book 'American Kompromat' (2021, Craig Unger). 'The word 'Kompromat' in Russian refers to compromising information. The theme of the book is that Donald Trump as U.S. President was, and is, a Russian intelligence asset, dating back into the 1980s. It essentially covers the material that the Mueller Report, published in 2019, wasn't able to report, due to administration interference orchestrated by Trump. Highly recommended.

Comment

The theme of the book is that Donald Trump as U.S. President was, and is, a Russian intelligence asset, dating back into the 1980s.
                          Trump is too stupid to have anything to do with "intelligence", but it is clear that the Russians have the goods on him and that they will spill the beans if he does not cooperate.

Comment

• Very witty Pargat and Frank. I hope the guys in the movie business take you up on your suggestions.

Comment

• I think we are at the change of generations. I hope Firoujza is ready in 2023, although I think it will take him 3 matches to beat Magnus. One for experience, two will be a helluva fight, and three Firoujza will break through.

Comment

Responding to Pargat, I've got another scenario for Magnus in the title role for a new James Bond 007 film:
                                He chases the villain into an international chess tournament site, where Canada's IA / IO Hal Bond is supervising the play. It's in Norway, of course!! Cyber-warfare is the heart of the conflict; Russian villains are influencing elections again. The two come into contact; Magnus as James Bond says: "The name is Bond, James Bond." Hal replies: "The name is Bond, Hal Bond!!"
                                We need to work on a script and a title!!
                                Yes! And Hal could speak in a Darth Vader like voice and say "I am your father, James!'

There could be a scene where Magnus is playing Nepo over the board, and Magnus starts talking to Nepo: "I guess you expect me to take Bxh7+, and you would take the Bishop with your King, and I would invade with my Knight and Queen and you would defend with your Rook and Queen and my attack would be fought off."

And Nepo could reply: "No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to DIE!"

The match could take place on the space ship that William Shatner just went up on, and he could guest star with someone playing Spock. They could walk over and look at the board, and Spock could raise his one eyebrow. Shatner could say "What do you think, Spock?" and Spock could say "They need 3 more levels for that chessboard!"
                                Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Saturday, 11th December, 2021, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X