Canadian Chess Club Libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Chess Club Libraries

I am curious about Canadian Chess Club Libraries.

Do most clubs have a library?

Does your club loan out their books/magazines? Or are the items only for use at the club?

How good is the library, i.e., number and type of books/magazines?

How is the library protected, both physically and lending?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post
    I am curious about Canadian Chess Club Libraries.

Do most clubs have a library?

Does your club loan out their books/magazines? Or are the items only for use at the club?

How good is the library, i.e., number and type of books/magazines?

How is the library protected, both physically and lending?

Thanks!
    The Victoria Club does not have a library or any facility to store or display anything. Along the lines of your question, the club does have a number of perpetual trophies which I keep at home. (and usually it's my name on them anyway). I bring them in to the AGM (at least pre -COVID :-) ) for display and to show to that year's winners.

Comment

The Calgary chess club library now has over 1500 categorized chess books and magazines. It also includes an almost complete set of New In Chess magazines. Most of the magazines are bound into books. We have a bound volume of the 1976-1977 Bulletin. Likely the only such volume in Canada. I’m still looking for some copies of the En Passant magazines. The goal is to collect all the Canadian magazines, bind them into books and keep as reference books for members and anybody visiting the club. The books and magazines are stored in a locked cabinet at the club. The cabinet was acquired by the club from a jewelry store that went out of business in Market Mall in December 2019. I’m told by the previous owner that the original cost of the cabinets was $15,000. We acquired it for a fraction of the original cost, although moving it from the mall to the club wasn’t cheap. The cabinet is equipped with lights and it looks stunning when lit up. Calgary chess club members can sign out up to 5 books for 4 weeks. After 4 weeks the members can extend the loan period for another 4 weeks just by sending an email to the librarian. We have a volunteer librarian just to run the library. When members sign out books, we take pictures of the books with an iPhone, and send an email to the member and the librarian with the date when the books need to be returned. With this system, we keep track of all the books that were signed out, who has signed them out and when they need to be returned. We always look for book and magazines donations. Luckily for the Calgary chess club, a number of generous benefactors have donated chess books and chess magazines to the club since we purchased the cabinets. A big thank you goes to all those generous chess players who have donated books and magazines to us. With their help, the Calgary chess club now has a premier chess book library. It certainly must be one of the best, if not “the” best chess book library in Canada, and perhaps even North America, on this side of St.Louis.
      Last edited by Steve Sklenka; Saturday, 11th December, 2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Hey Steve, do you want any British Chess Magazine bound annual hardcovers?

Comment

That’d be wonderful Neil! Thank you. I’m very well aware of the British Chess Magazine. Its a very good magazine! It’s one of the oldest chess periodicals in the world. We have few copies at the club, but none bound into books. It might be easier (and faster) to communicate by texting me at 403-703-3864 if you’re open to it Neil. Otherwise communicating here is fine too.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	BCM_70s80s.gif Views:	0 Size:	236.8 KB ID:	216843

Teaser :)

More to come :)

Comment

After seeing Calgary clubs post about their impressive library I wasnt sure I wanted to post about our own club - its almost embarrassing, but each club is different. The KW chess club (Kitchener-Waterloo in Ontario) at one time had well over 100 books thru donations to the point where we werent taking anymore books due to lack of space. (we have a storage cupboard) There was a sign in/sign out sheet. At one point there wasnt much interest so Ed Thompson was giving out books (your choice!) for tournament prizes. Also there were opportunities to purchase books with donations to the club. At various periods of time I borrowed all those I wanted to read and the library has kept going over the years. Since the pandemic the library has been sitting in storage at city hall with no access. Almost two years now and counting.
              Its been rewarding for me to have a hand in weeding and rebuilding the chess collection at the Waterloo Library, Main Branch. I've put in recommendations to get rid of some terrible books and Ive donated several from my own collection. Its started to look promising.

Comment

A retired master in Toronto is looking to donate his collection of Chess Informants to somewhere where kids will use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                  A retired master in Toronto is looking to donate his collection of Chess Informants to somewhere where kids will use them.
                  You'll have hard time to find those kids :) The last time I brought informants as prizes, I needed to haul half back :) If the master is not in hurry, let wait till any weekend open.

Comment

Working...
                  X