Transgender women in Women's sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    It is certain that more powerful sweeping affects the movement of the rocks more. But it also depends upon where you sweep. Sweeping across the entire rock will make it go farther and straighter. This is because the sweeping creates a little layer of water which causes the rock to slide more and grab less. But if you sweep only on one side or the other then the rock will want to glide more on the side swept and stick more on the side not swept, thus turning the rock more toward the side not swept since that side will stick more while the swept side will glide more and therefore turn in the direction where there is no sweeping. If I have my physics correct. :)
    ahhh, interesting. I was thinking the sweeping was just to make it go faster or slower, not to make it curl more, because I was thinking the rotation of the rock was the factor in making it curl. But what you wrote makes sense, and it explains why there are 2 sweepers, one on each side of the rock.

Still don't know why if strength is so critical, curlers both male and female aren't weighty and muscular (generally speaking) and there wouldn't be curlers using steroids to make them stronger.

Comment

Well, the sweeping can also make the rock curl less. The spin will cause the rock to turn, counter-clockwise turns left and clockwise turns right. But the amount of turn can be increased or reduced, depending upon which side is swept, or again, the rock can be made to go farther and straighter if the sweeping is across the entire rock. Also, wait until the Men's championship, The Brier, and you will see a few Godzillas sweeping. But keep in mind that everyone has to throw their two shots, and this skill is vital, much more important than sweeping I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

ahhh, interesting. I was thinking the sweeping was just to make it go faster or slower, not to make it curl more, because I was thinking the rotation of the rock was the factor in making it curl. But what you wrote makes sense, and it explains why there are 2 sweepers, one on each side of the rock.

Still don't know why if strength is so critical, curlers both male and female aren't weighty and muscular (generally speaking) and there wouldn't be curlers using steroids to make them stronger.
        No, not muscle bound. Once the ice surface becomes water, extra muscle strength would be meaningless. The sweeper would benefit from a longer arm reach, and leg width, but more important is sweeping speed and agility to quickly jump over stones, balance and peripheral vision. And listening skills, it's a team sport. Throwing stones require bending down low, being cool and calm, and subtle finger control. Hand and eye coordination and vision, matching distance, speed and angle. Got to be able to yell "harder, harder."

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
          Got to be able to yell "harder, harder."
          A number of years ago the sports radio station in Ottawa had a contest asking people to call in and exclaim the best "hurry, hurry hard, harder..." and they offered prizes to the winners. But the contest was discontinued when women started calling in and appeared to be making references to something other than curling.

Comment

A number of years ago the sports radio station in Ottawa had a contest asking people to call in and exclaim the best "hurry, hurry hard, harder..." and they offered prizes to the winners. But the contest was discontinued when women started calling in and appeared to be making references to something other than curling.
            I wouldn't expect many men to call in as few could last 6 ends of "harder, harder."

Comment

A friend who's an accomplished curler once told me that the difference in skill between men and women amounts to better "muscle memory" - i.e., they are more accurate at replicating the same shot over and over. I don't know if that's just his opinion or there's research to back it up, but it occurs to me that it would also help explain the achievement gap in similar sports like snooker or darts (but not chess, unless we're talking about Internet Blitz, where accurate mouse skills might play some role).

Comment

The same applies to putting in golf. Of course the women cannot hit the ball as far as men and therefore play shorter courses, but the interesting fact is that the women tend to be terrible putters compared to the men.

Comment

The same applies to putting in golf. Of course the women cannot hit the ball as far as men and therefore play shorter courses, but the interesting fact is that the women tend to be terrible putters compared to the men.
                  Oh, that is VERY interesting because women can take up interest in golf, and start practicing it, at very young ages, similar to men.

Do you have any link(s) to actual data supporting this claim?

Comment

No, my opinion is based upon having watched golf on television for most of my life. It it not even close, men putt far better than women. I believe that the reason must have to do with touch, delicate muscle control, because there is no reason to suspect that women cannot read the putts as well as men. Of course there must be some great putters on the women's tour, though I am not sure who they may be, and to be sure there have been some terrible putters among the men, the most obvious that I can remember is Vijay Singh whom during Tiger's best days hit more fairways and greens, but hacked once he was on the green. Today the best player from Canada is Corey Conners. He is a great striker and an absolutely horrible putter, far worse than most women. It must be very frustrating for him, though he tends to stay cool and mild mannered when playing.

Comment

.... he tends to stay cool and mild mannered when playing.
                      That's because he's memorized the dialogue for all 124 episodes of The Mod Squad. He repeats it to himself, over and over, like a mantra. Keeps him solid!
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Forgive me Peter, but I do not understand your comment. Now, I do know that our good friend Frank Dixon is an avid golfer/golf enthusiast as I am, and would be interested to hear his opinions on whether or not women are worse putters than men, and if so why.

Comment

No, my opinion is based upon having watched golf on television for most of my life. It it not even close, men putt far better than women. I believe that the reason must have to do with touch, delicate muscle control, because there is no reason to suspect that women cannot read the putts as well as men. Of course there must be some great putters on the women's tour, though I am not sure who they may be, and to be sure there have been some terrible putters among the men, the most obvious that I can remember is Vijay Singh whom during Tiger's best days hit more fairways and greens, but hacked once he was on the green. Today the best player from Canada is Corey Conners. He is a great striker and an absolutely horrible putter, far worse than most women. It must be very frustrating for him, though he tends to stay cool and mild mannered when playing.

I found a link that confirms that female pro golfers do in fact putt worse than male pro golfers:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/putting-matthew-rudy

It says one reason is that the women practice driving more and putting less than the men do.

Comment

I found a link that confirms that female pro golfers do in fact putt worse than male pro golfers:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/putting-matthew-rudy

It says one reason is that the women practice driving more and putting less than the men do.
                            A very interesting article. I think the logic applies to chess too. Polgar became the best woman player in history because she competed with the best men for years. There have probably been other women who could have become as good but never developed their full potential because they mainly competed in women's events.
                            in golf, even though there's little biological advantage for men in putting, women rarely develop the skills of the top men because the lower overall level of competition means they don't have to.

Comment

Men are more physically strong, therefore they sweep with much more force and are thus able to cause the rocks to curve more, or stay straighter, than are the women.

Ok, if size and physical strength are so important, I've got an awesome idea ....

SUMO WRESTLER CURLING!

Comment

Ok, if size and physical strength are so important, I've got an awesome idea ....

SUMO WRESTLER CURLING!
                                They're way ahead of you, Pargat. :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gjjnvghkmk.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.1 KB ID:	218039
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X