Richmond B.C. Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond B.C. Open

I just saw that this in person event attracted great numbers! Congrats! Paul Leblanc was the principal organzer...can you tell us more?

Larry

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I just saw that this in person event attracted great numbers! Congrats! Paul Leblanc was the principal organzer...can you tell us more?

Larry
    An event report is now posted on the event website. (will also appear eventually in the BCCF bulletin)

http://bcopenchess.pbworks.com/RichmondOpen

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

An event report is now posted on the event website. (will also appear eventually in the BCCF bulletin)

http://bcopenchess.pbworks.com/RichmondOpen
      Hi Roger,

That is super impressive!

We are looking at over 140 players at an in-person event.

Care to share the details? Covid protocal etc.

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Hi Roger,

That is super impressive!

We are looking at over 140 players at an in-person event.

Care to share the details? Covid protocal etc.

Thanks,

Larry
        Attendance was limited by space. Could have had more :-)

vaccine mandatory for all (at least 1 shot for under 12), masks, negotiated a deal with the hotel for extra space so ran at 50% capacity. Wristbands to show that your vaccine status has been checked. QR codes posted to link to pairings.

I didn’t play - still too early for me.

did you notice the Jack Taylor in November? Also a big crowd for in person play.

BC open next month. Also looks like a big turnout.

Comment

I was impressed that people were so eager to play chess that they endured such strict COVID conditions. Vaccine for everyone including kids under 12, masks worn 100% of the time, players remained seated except for trips to the bathroom, no mingling anywhere, no post-game analysis room, no communal water station. Yet 145 players showed up. The hotel gave us a huge ballroom in order to space people out. The rule in BC at the moment is 50% occupancy for seated events. We had lots of great volunteers to process vaccination checks, parking etc. The demographics have changed since 2 years ago - adults out-numbered kids. Lots of new unrated players graduated from chess.com to OTB chess.
          The BC Open in February already has close to 200 signed up.
          Paul Leblanc
          Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Great organizing out there Paul..........congrats to all the teams!

Bob A

Comment

Wonderful work, Paul! It's great to see that in-person chess events can still happen. Thanks for sharing the details on protocols; this will help other Canadian organizers.

Comment

Working...
              X