Happy 100th Birthday GM Averbakh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to mention that Mau Seng-Lee is still playing serious chess at the age of 90. He will be in the BC Open just over a week from now.
    He must be close to the oldest CFC member who is still active.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

The late Dr. James Cairns (1922-2010) was still active right up until his death in early 2010 at age 87; he had played games at the Kingston Chess Club, and was also playing correspondence chess.

I first played him in 1973, when on a post-secondary campus visit to Kingston, when I was still in high school in Deep River, accompanying my father, who was presenting research material. I dropped in to KCC, was made welcome, entered one of their early-season G/30 nights, and won my first encounters with both Jim and many-time Kingston champion Dr. George Danilov that night, but was crushed by Martin Devenport, who became a Master a few years later. Although I had the substantial edge over Jim during our nearly four decades of rivalry, Jim did get the last laugh, defeating me in 2008, I believe, in a Queen's University CC vs Kingston CC team match, with the help of a strong new move on the Black side of the Grunfeld, which he found over the board! The move was played at the GM level a couple of years later! I think I have that game somewhere, and will present it, if and when I find it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Does anyone know if he is still alive?
        He looks amazing in this video published by Russian chess federation.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82YQA1lOUrs

Comment

Yes Averbakh looks great at 100 years old and a covid survivor. Its wonderful what they did for him. What are all those medals on his chest? - are they chess medals?

Comment

Yuri's book: Chess Tactics for Advanced Players, helped changed the way I looked at chess.

Belated Happy B-Day GM Averbakh !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
              What are all those medals on his chest? - are they chess medals?
              Wiki tells that he received at least 3 government medals for chess related works.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                Yuri's book: Chess Tactics for Advanced Players, helped changed the way I looked at chess.
                I was never able to figure out how the hell to look at chess.

Comment

Working...
                X