Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

Start looking for Fritz 11 in the bargain bins at Future Shop!

Seriously, why buy the latest version when you can get the previous version for less than $20? That's how much I paid for Fritz 10 in Future Shop 4 months ago. And it's the full version, nothing missing.

Actually while I'm on it, what is the incentive to upgrade? My previous version was Fritz 8, and aside from a couple of minor bells and whistles, I could not see any difference between 8 and 10. As a 1700 rated player, either game is invincible, and they all allow me to play, analyze and store my games, as well as help me study. How much more can a program be improved?

Re : Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

It depends of how much you train with Fritz. I do use Fritz a couple of hours every day, so I saw a big difference between Fritz 8 and Fritz 11 (which I actually use).

But it's sure that if you already bought Fritz 11 this year, like me, there's no need to buy Fritz 12.

The latest version might includes some new things, I don't know, I will try to find informations on Internet. But for sure, if you have an older version than Fritz 10, this could be a great investment. Otherwise, use your money for new chess books or for some tournaments :)

EDIT:
    http://www.chess.com/news/fritz-12-r...n-october-7748

As I said there seems to be some new stuff with this version, like a new interface and 12 new hours of video.
    I did enjoy the hours of video that come with Fritz 11, it almost worth a big part of the price. I will maybe buy this new version if I find a good sale, but it's only because I'm an addict :D
    Last edited by Felix Dumont; Saturday, 26th September, 2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Re: Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

That's great! I'll be a better correspondence player!!!
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re : Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

A new feature in Fritz 12 : the Mat-O-Meter.
        At the left, ''tranchant'' means the complexity of the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
          Start looking for Fritz 11 in the bargain bins at Future Shop!

Seriously, why buy the latest version when you can get the previous version for less than $20? That's how much I paid for Fritz 10 in Future Shop 4 months ago. And it's the full version, nothing missing.

Actually while I'm on it, what is the incentive to upgrade? My previous version was Fritz 8, and aside from a couple of minor bells and whistles, I could not see any difference between 8 and 10. As a 1700 rated player, either game is invincible, and they all allow me to play, analyze and store my games, as well as help me study. How much more can a program be improved?
          Futureshop availability for Fritz $19.99: Futureshop Fritz It's still available in Kanata and Ottawa South!

Comment

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
            How much more can a program be improved?
            Probably you have seen, anyway:
            "FRITZ 12: THIS IS NEW:

* Completely redesigned ergonomic interface
            * Twelve months premium membership on Playchess.com
            * New Fritz engine: even stronger!
            * New openings book by Alex Kure
            * Twelve hours chess tutorial videos with international trainers and world class players
            * Updated database of 1.5 million games from 1625 to 2009"
            I'm thinking to upgrade (maybe update is more correct) only for the first two items. The tutorial is worth too.

Comment

Re: Re : Fritz 12 is out! Which means ...

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
              A new feature in Fritz 12 : the Mat-O-Meter.
              At the left, ''tranchant'' means the complexity of the position.
              It looks like the Tachometer in my car which tells me the RPM.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

* Completely redesigned ergonomic interface
                The current interface is bad?

* Twelve months premium membership on Playchess.com
                As opposed to the memberships I got with the previous versions of Fritz?

* New Fritz engine: even stronger!
                So I can be whupped even harder than I am now.

* New openings book by Alex Kure
                Is this the openings book it uses to beat me? If so, refer to my last answer.

* Twelve hours chess tutorial videos with international trainers and world class players
                Got a whole bunch of those with Fritz 10. They seem to be portions of their chess base DVD's

* Updated database of 1.5 million games from 1625 to 2009
                Damn, I'm missing games from the last 2 years! I hope my visits to TWIC have what I'm missing. Besides, if I want to study the games of my opponents, I'm better off looking in Hugh Brodie's database, and my own games.

Seriously, if you are over 2000 and want to make Grandmaster some day, then it's probably worthwhile to get the latest and greatest. Heck, you probably have Chessbase X with the Mega-Super-Colossal Database as well, and use it. I'm just saying that for even A/B class club/weekend tournament player, a $20 Fritz 10 seems a better value than a $70 Fritz 12. Use the $50 you save for a good book or training DVD, or a weekend Swiss.

Comment

Fritz 10 comes with these features for $20:

Graphically displays threats and plans, and provides full opening statistics.

For beginners, Fritz will explain moves and positions, or warn you of dangers and of errors you are committing.

Instructive training modules and amusing handicap levels.

A database with more than a million games provides the basis for state-of-the-art analysis.

A host of famous chess teachers provide instruction in more mundane subjects, like opening traps, middle-game strategy and or endgame skills.

Three-month access to Playchess.com where you can play quick and informal games at any level, take part in tournaments, or attend live lectures and training sessions. You can also watch great international events, which are broadcast live on the server, and you can discuss the moves with players and Grandmasters from all over the world. It is an experience you will not want to miss.

It only comes with 3 month access to Playchess.com. If you want 1 year, you can get Shredder 11 for $75 at Strategy Games.

Alex

Comment

Shredder 11 comes with a built in tablebase for the endgames, as did Shredder 10. You can choose to use these Shredderbases or regular tablebases if you have them on your computer. This is a plus for those who don't have regular tablebases installed on their computer. Shredder 11 seems to be stronger than the older version.

Fritz 11 is stronger and faster than Fritz 10, on my computer and in my opinion. Fritz 12 is probably even stronger if it follows the normal progression. If a person is going to use an engine to do preparation for games it might as well be the latest version.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Last Christmas I found Fritz 10 at future shop for $20... I previously used version 8. I downloaded the free version of Rybka from their website and plugged it into the Fritz 10 interface and setup various opening positions. I have actually found that the Fritz 8 engine has done better against Rybka than the Fritz 10 engine!

Like others here, I will wait until I find it in the bargain bin :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                        Shredder 11 comes with a built in tablebase for the endgames, as did Shredder 10. You can choose to use these Shredderbases or regular tablebases if you have them on your computer. This is a plus for those who don't have regular tablebases installed on their computer. Shredder 11 seems to be stronger than the older version.

Fritz 11 is stronger and faster than Fritz 10, on my computer and in my opinion. Fritz 12 is probably even stronger if it follows the normal progression. If a person is going to use an engine to do preparation for games it might as well be the latest version.
                        how big is the tablebase? there is a free tablebase online (i think through shredder)...

Comment

F11 has 3 new features: calculation of variations,on the chess server a tactical problen solving competition and the " magic eye" which scans the 3D board. The first 2 functions are very worthwhile,the third I have not used.F12 ,I will wait to see its features but havining the previous 4 titles I will probably get F12 .If you can get F11 for around 20 loonies buy it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
                            how big is the tablebase? there is a free tablebase online (i think through shredder)...
                            Shredder 11 tablebases installed with the program, I guess. Probably they are compressed as I don't even notice the amount of spaced used. When you look a the program properties, it asks if you want to use the Shredderbases or TB's.

My other tablebases are 4 piece. They came with Chess Tiger 14.0 when I bought that program. I put them on my hard drive and think they took up a lot of space. It took around half an hour for them to write to my drive from the CD.

I think what they do is use those bases for evaluating positions when the number of pieces gets low so play stronger as a result. Mostly, if I want 6 piece endgames, or less, I used the ones which are on the internet.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post

Hi Mister Ruben.

In Elo rating, how would you evaluate these electronic programs ?

Maybe there is on the web a site where these programs are compared. If you (or any other Chesstalker) could provide a link, that would be nice :)

Also, do you know if we can make PRINTABLE DIAGRAMS (not necessarily related to a game being played with the machine)
                              with the chess coordinates (a to h, and 1 to 8) ?

Thank you for your help.

JPR

Comment

Working...
                              X