Yuanchen Zhang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuanchen Zhang

Yuanchen Zhang is another master who is in the hunt for first place in Canada's Zonal in the last round. Ive watched Yuanchen's progress over the years and hes had some incredible results, but this is the best of them by far! Should be an incredible finish.

Yuanchen Zhang pulls it out in a clutch performance in the last round and ties for first in points with 7!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Yuanchen Zhang pulls it out in a clutch performance in the last round and ties for first in points with 7!
      Well done. A tough game while walking on a string.

Comment

In Tanaka - Yuanchen, 68. Na6+ seem to draw.
        Last edited by Réjean Tremblay; Monday, 18th April, 2022, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Does this mean Yuancheng Zhang is Canadian Champion?

Comment

results are out ( Aris confirmed that too. )
            Rk. SNo Name FED Rtg Pts. TB1 TB2 TB3
            1 8 FM Zhang Yuanchen CAN 2330 7,0 42,5 46,5 33,00
            2 7 FM Rodrigue-Lemieux Shawn CAN 2342 7,0 42,5 45,5 34,00

Congrats !

Comment

Really heartbreaking for Shawn who led most of the way. I don't know Yuanchen but he must be talented too. But Shawn must really feel bad today. That guy knows how to calculate.

Comment

There should have had a rapid, blitz, armageddon tie break in my opinion.

Comment

***NOTE: ALL OF THE FOLLOWING IS JUST ME NOT FULLY UNDERSTANDING THE BUCHHOLZ SYSTEM***

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  results are out ( Aris confirmed that too. )
                  Rk. SNo Name FED Rtg Pts. TB1 TB2 TB3
                  1 8 FM Zhang Yuanchen CAN 2330 7,0 42,5 46,5 33,00
                  2 7 FM Rodrigue-Lemieux Shawn CAN 2342 7,0 42,5 45,5 34,00

Congrats !

I have a question about that, because the math for that second column seems off based on the results from Chess Results. The tiebreaks are listed in the tournament announcement as being:

1) Buchholz cut 1
                  2) Buchholz
                  3) Sonneborn-Berger

Based on that, the only difference between the first tie-break and second tie-break would be that the score of the lowest scoring opponent would also be included, but for both players the lowest scoring opponent scored 3 points, so where does the extra point come from?

Tiebreak 1:

FM Rodrigue-Lemieux: 3.5 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 6 + 6 = 42.5

FM Zhang: 4 + 4.5 + 7 + 5 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 5 = 42.5

Tiebreak 2:

FM Rodrigue-Lemieux: 3 + 3.5 + 7 + 6 + 4 + 5 + 5 + 6 + 6 = 45.5

FM Zhang: 4 + 4.5 + 7 + 3 + 5 + 6 + 6 + 5 + 5 = 45.5

Tiebreak 3:

FM Rodrigue-Lemieux: 1*3 + 1*3.5 + 1*7 + 0.5*6 + 1*4 + 1*5 + 0.5*5 + 0.5*6 + 0.5*6 = 34

FM Zhang: 1*4 + 1*4.5 + 0*7 + 1*3 + 0.5*5 + 0.5*6 + 1*6 + 1*5 + 1*5 = 33

Every other number in the tiebreak columns tracks with working out the tiebreaks by hand, as near as I can tell, although I would welcome any corrections to my math if I'm making a mistake. Am I missing something with these tiebreaks?
                  Last edited by Jason Manley; Monday, 18th April, 2022, 06:26 PM. Reason: To add note at top about me not understanding the Buchholz system properly until now

Comment

You get extra 0.5 point for each round missed (forfeited/withdrew) by your opponent.

Comment

I knew I was missing something. Thank you Victor, I learned something I hadn't known about the Buchholz system today!

Comment

the key reference is at:
                        https://handbook.fide.com/files/hand...2Standards.pdf
                        especially this article:
                        13.15.2. For tie-break purposes a player who has no opponent will be considered as having played against a virtual opponent who has the same number of points at the beginning of the round and who draws in all the following rounds. For the round itself the result by forfeit will be considered as a normal result.

and then there's further related articles and examples ...

note that we went with the FIDE-recommended tiebreaks:
                        13.16.4. Individual Swiss Tournaments where not all the ratings are consistent:
                        Buchholz Cut 1
                        Buchholz
                        Sonneborn-Berger

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Manley View Post
                          I knew I was missing something. Thank you Victor, I learned something I hadn't known about the Buchholz system today!
                          Actually, a very logical rule. For example you beat an opponent in the first round and he withdrew from the rest of the tournament. In this case, you get 4 points from him (0.5*8) and not 0.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

Actually, a very logical rule. For example you beat an opponent in the first round and he withdrew from the rest of the tournament. In this case, you get 4 points from him (0.5*8) and not 0.
                            I agree wholeheartedly. When I was doing the calculations without knowing that rule, that possibility struck me as a problem.

Congratulations to now IM Zhang on fine victory, and thanks to all the players for the wonderful chess! I've been glued to the screen since Wednesday watching the games, and there was some incredible chess this weekend.

Comment

Hi Aris,

In Quebec we used the direct confrontation which is more logical. No math.

Richard

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                              the key reference is at:
                              https://handbook.fide.com/files/hand...2Standards.pdf
                              especially this article:
                              13.15.2. For tie-break purposes a player who has no opponent will be considered as having played against a virtual opponent who has the same number of points at the beginning of the round and who draws in all the following rounds. For the round itself the result by forfeit will be considered as a normal result.

and then there's further related articles and examples ...

note that we went with the FIDE-recommended tiebreaks:
                              13.16.4. Individual Swiss Tournaments where not all the ratings are consistent:
                              Buchholz Cut 1
                              Buchholz
                              Sonneborn-Berger

Comment

Working...
                              X