Emergency Replacement for GM norm tournament in Ottawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should also mention that Rohan Talukdar and MJ Ouellet played very well. What a highly competitive field! My favorite game of Rohan's was Talukdar- Narayanan.
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Monday, 13th June, 2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Also Im impressed at GM Vera playing two rounds a day in a grandmaster tournament at his age.

Comment

So it has to be mentioned (again?) that IM Artiom Samsonkin saved the tournament with a last minute entry and travelled all night to get there and then proceeded to finish third, only losing one game because he got carried away in the opening. Im impressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          So it has to be mentioned (again?) that IM Artiom Samsonkin saved the tournament with a last minute entry and travelled all night to get there and then proceeded to finish third, only losing one game because he got carried away in the opening. Im impressed!
          I believe it absolutely should be celebrated! Without Artiom, well, Rohan isn't our newest IM?! Remember in addition to everything Artiom pulled off, he also brought in a high norm-friendly rating!

Comment

So I've been thinking about how Artiom STEPPED UP, and how to "pay it forward".

Therefore, as Organizer of KEC (Kingston Easter Chess), I have offered to Artiom:

For at least the 2023 & 2024 editions of KEC: free registration & onsite lodging!!

Comment

Good initiative Aris! Well deserved. Perhaps in our future GM Norm tournaments this can be taken into account as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                So I've been thinking about how Artiom STEPPED UP, and how to "pay it forward".

Therefore, as Organizer of KEC (Kingston Easter Chess), I have offered to Artiom:

For at least the 2023 & 2024 editions of KEC: free registration & onsite lodging!!
                Thats sending a message that should be well received in the chess community.

Comment

CFC = Chess FIDE Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                    CFC = Chess FIDE Canada
                    Also "Canucky Fried Chicken".

(chicken fried in gravy?)

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

Also "Canucky Fried Chicken".

(chicken fried in gravy?)
                      mmmmmm, sacrilicious, thank you

Comment

It is very difficult to put together a GM norm tournament. The 10-player round robin format [3 GMs 3 Federations] has a lot of issues that I did not fully understand.

A common outcome is that such GM norm tournaments get cancelled. This is because of the failure to attract a field or last minute withdrawals that cannot be replaced. Players do not want to sign up and send a hefty fee to an organizer of an event they simply do not believe will run. Without budget the tournament gets cancelled. My fall back position was the 5-round Eastern Ontario Open June 10-12 with over 100 players and a much enhanced prize fund.

This was my first title norm rodeo and I am trying to learn from it. Six weeks to put on an event like this together may be too little time. Also I should have said NO upfront to foreign players without previous Canadian visas.

I also found out that there was little demand by Canadian IMs for a GM norm tournament in Ottawa running for the first time. Both Noritsyn and Samsonkin replaced players that dropped out.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
                          I also found out that there was little demand by Canadian IMs for a GM norm tournament in Ottawa running for the first time. Both Noritsyn and Samsonkin replaced players that dropped out.
                          I have noticed the reluctance of strong players to actually play chess, and I assumed that this was partly because of their desire to play people stronger than themselves. However, if IMs aren't interested in playing GMs... well, very strange. I guess they get their kicks from beating up on masters and experts.

Comment

Congratulations and thanks to Halldor for persevering with his efforts!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X