Canadian Open - Hamilton 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Open - Hamilton 2022

Monday, July 11 from 6pm - 7pm there will be an informal welcome of our 2022 Canadian Open participants at the venue, Hillfield Strathallan College.

Attendance is optional. This is an opportunity for players to familiarize themselves with the location and layout of facilities.

At 9:30am on Tuesday, our opening ceremonies will include a review of the technical aspects of the tournament.

Hey Bob, good luck with the tourney! Any updates on the blitz event if there will be one? Would love to come for that...

Comment

Great turnout from BC - 25 players. Good luck to all of them!
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

It's gonna be a lotta fun reconnecting with old chess friends, and also making new ones!

Comment

IA / IO Hal Bond and his team are true heroes for putting this together!!! After two straight years with no Opens. I had a discussion with Hal about this tournament while he was in Kingston, playing in the 2022 Easter Festival, and where we both served on the Appeals Committee (he was Chair). He said then that "the Canadian Open is on life support". No joke. Well, Hal and his team are performing life-saving operations right now!!! They have taken some risks to make this happen; it doesn't just occur by osmosis!!!

I was just checking out the live games and crosstables. Wonderful!!

With the accelerated pairings, nine rounds, one section, something like 40 Masters, a pretty good range of international players, and with Master vs. Master games already happening in round two, it might be possible to have some International Norms scored in Hamilton CO 2022!!! I am sure Hal and his team will be right on this; it would be great to have updates on possibilities, as they unfold. (Question: Isn't Brett Campbell an FM?)

The turnout for the 2022 CYCC, at over 300 players, may be a new participation record. I remember it was 280 players for Ottawa 2013 CYCC (I was Deputy Arbiter; FA Halldor Palsson Head Arbiter), and that was a record then, broken since, I believe.

Good luck and good skill to everyone at Hamilton 2022!!! I wish I could be there; my health is just not up to it right now.

Cheers,
          Frank Dixon
          NTD, Kingston

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
            IA / IO Hal Bond and his team are true heroes for putting this together!!! After two straight years with no Opens. I had a discussion with Hal about this tournament while he was in Kingston, playing in the 2022 Easter Festival, and where we both served on the Appeals Committee (he was Chair). He said then that "the Canadian Open is on life support". No joke. Well, Hal and his team are performing life-saving operations right now!!! They have taken some risks to make this happen; it doesn't just occur by osmosis!!!

I was just checking out the live games and crosstables. Wonderful!!

With the accelerated pairings, nine rounds, one section, something like 40 Masters, a pretty good range of international players, and with Master vs. Master games already happening in round two, it might be possible to have some International Norms scored in Hamilton CO 2022!!! I am sure Hal and his team will be right on this; it would be great to have updates on possibilities, as they unfold. (Question: Isn't Brett Campbell an FM?)

The turnout for the 2022 CYCC, at over 300 players, may be a new participation record. I remember it was 280 players for Ottawa 2013 CYCC (I was Deputy Arbiter; FA Halldor Palsson Head Arbiter), and that was a record then, broken since, I believe.

Good luck and good skill to everyone at Hamilton 2022!!! I wish I could be there; my health is just not up to it right now.

Cheers,
            Frank Dixon
            NTD, Kingston
            Wishing you get well soon, Frank!

Comment

Working...
            X