Good start for Team Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Clarification....it was 3.5-0.5 for Netherlands over Canada...not 3-1.
    It was 4-0
    Official results are here:
    Chess-Results Server Chess-results.com - 44th Olympiad Chennai 2022
    Some time the DGT boards don't show the correct result.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Rene. I was wondering why a draw was agreed when it's a simple endgame win for white.

Comment

Very nice and important win by Nikolay Noritsyn in rd 6

Comment

2 - 2 tie with Romania in rd 6

Women's win with another 4-0 sweep and are rocking!
          Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 3rd August, 2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            2 - 2 tie with Romania in rd 6

Women's win with another 4-0 sweep and are rocking!
            I ran into both Svitlana and Maili-Jade today, and they both looked so happy, that team is doing just great!

And saw Shiyam again, he was also all smiles, haven't seen so much CAN Women team smiling in years!

Comment

GM Preotu is listed in 13th place for Board Prize (Board 4).

https://chess-results.com/tnr653631....ed=CAN&flag=30

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post

Maybe someone could explain what was going on and what happened? I saw the result.
                Thanks!
                Or maybe I should watch the video to the end!!!
                Sorry!
                At the Olympiad they are using clocks that are set to add the second time control allotment automatically when the player's flag hits 0:00. Eric made his last move of time control, after which his clock read 30:28 (the 30:00 additional for the new time control, plus the 0:30 second increment). This means that logically he had to have pressed his clock after it was at 00:00 (or he'd have at least 30:30 left). The discussion was just confirming this and that Eric had lost on time since his clock was not stuck on 00:00 or indicating that he'd flagged.

The video then goes on to explain that while the clocks have the ability to add a move counter as the determination to add the second time control, they opted not to use it; the clock is dumb, and will just count the number of times it's been pressed. Given the number of inexperienced players in the Olympiad, they felt that there would be scenarios where players might mistakenly hit the clock or make illegal moves that had to be reversed or whatever, so they decided to not use the move counter functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

At the Olympiad they are using clocks that are set to add the second time control allotment automatically when the player's flag hits 0:00. Eric made his last move of time control, after which his clock read 30:28 (the 30:00 additional for the new time control, plus the 0:30 second increment). This means that logically he had to have pressed his clock after it was at 00:00 (or he'd have at least 30:30 left). The discussion was just confirming this and that Eric had lost on time since his clock was not stuck on 00:00 or indicating that he'd flagged.

The video then goes on to explain that while the clocks have the ability to add a move counter as the determination to add the second time control, they opted not to use it; the clock is dumb, and will just count the number of times it's been pressed. Given the number of inexperienced players in the Olympiad, they felt that there would be scenarios where players might mistakenly hit the clock or make illegal moves that had to be reversed or whatever, so they decided to not use the move counter functionality.
                  But if I may add, he HAD indeed FLAGGED. There's a closeup at the end of the video that shows just that. And that makes total sense. Even the fact that 30 minutes were added at all is in fact proof that he ran out of time, because the 30 minutes are added only when the first player runs out of time. I wasn't there, so I can't speak about the long conversations, but everything adds up.

Note on this setting, this flagging does NOT cause "freezing".
                  (I'm in the other hall, and fairly experienced with this setting)

A story to reinforce choosing this non-move-counting setting:

One of Match Arbiters comes get me, saying a player from Team A is quite upset about his opponent "touching the clock twice". This player speaks only French, and my Match Arbiter couldn't figure him out. So I talk to him for a while, and even though I'm fluent in French, I just know I'm not getting the whole story. He keeps coming back to the premise that since Player B touched the clock twice in a row, he MUST forfeit. So now I go interview, in English now, both Player B and by now Captain B. They look very serious until they realize what I am asking them about, then they loudly crack up! Here's what actually happened, confirmed by Player A when confronted with it: it's Player A's turn, and his clock lever is properly up. Then a fly or some other kind of bug, comes and lazily flies between the players. Player B, who happened to be holding his pen, gently waves at the fly, as it's bothering both of them. But the fly really seems to want to get to the clock, and Player B's waves get less gentle. Finally, he swats, still with his pen in hand, but accidentally hits Player A's lever down. So then he quickly presses his own clock, just to make everything "right".

They don't teach you these situations in Arbiters' school LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

But if I may add, he HAD indeed FLAGGED. There's a closeup at the end of the video that shows just that.
                    I stand corrected - the clock does in fact clearly show a flag icon above Eric's time. Seems curious to me, since the clock has no idea if he's actually flagged or not - all it knows is the original time allotment is expired.

Comment

I stand corrected - the clock does in fact clearly show a flag icon above Eric's time. Seems curious to me, since the clock has no idea if he's actually flagged or not - all it knows is the original time allotment is expired.
                      Yeah, in this case, "flag" isn't the perfect word, it actually does mean more what you say, and then the other input is the number of moves from the scoresheets.

With those two inputs, the conclusion is either the player flagged (in the timeless sense, pun intended lol), or the second time control time bank is added, play on.

Comment

The analog clock did not know too if the player flagged but anyway dropped the flag on :00:00.

Comment

Good story about the fly on the clock, Aris!

I am enthusiastically following the Olympiad. Team Canada and the general event as a whole. Svidler & Leko, two of my favourite commentators are analyzing for chess24 (can also see the stream for free, live via youtube). Unfortunately there's been limited Canadian coverage on their channel, but that's understandable. There has been a bit, usually after covering the favourites, or because Canada has played some tough teams as well.

Both our teams are doing well and that just boosts interest.
                          Looking at tomorrow's pairing, I noticed something unusual: Austria's women's team seems to be playing with an incomplete roster, or something is off there. Their Board 1 has been paired and forfeited a few games.
                          Men's favourites over Scotland tomorrow, though Scotland does have a compact team of 2300s.
                          Women's not favourites to win over Austria (on paper), but looks like there's some sub-plot going on in that Austria team.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                            Good story about the fly on the clock, Aris!

I am enthusiastically following the Olympiad. Team Canada and the general event as a whole. Svidler & Leko, two of my favourite commentators are analyzing for chess24 (can also see the stream for free, live via youtube). Unfortunately there's been limited Canadian coverage on their channel, but that's understandable. There has been a bit, usually after covering the favourites, or because Canada has played some tough teams as well.

Both our teams are doing well and that just boosts interest.
                            Looking at tomorrow's pairing, I noticed something unusual: Austria's women's team seems to be playing with an incomplete roster, or something is off there. Their Board 1 has been paired and forfeited a few games.
                            Men's favourites over Scotland tomorrow, though Scotland does have a compact team of 2300s.
                            Women's not favourites to win over Austria (on paper), but looks like there's some sub-plot going on in that Austria team.

Alex F.
                            Hey Alex, good you hear from you!

I haven't heard about Austria, but I spent a rather alone free day here yesterday, slowly exploring my lodging area, with little contact, etc. I'll ask around at lunch today, see if anyone knows.

Maybe post at CFC Chat, Victor would be more likely to know (Hall 1), and he's posting there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                              I always consider it a sem-bad sign for how the team is doing when the team they're playing has someone I once played :D

Comment

Rd7 Team Canada a win over Scotland. Nice wins by Eric and Raja. The women tied Austria (I think)

Comment

Working...
                                X