Good start for Team Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
    One thing that's really stood out to me when looking at these Olympiad results is how badly FIDE has made many titles devalued, notably women's titles. Canadian women's team has played 44 games - of those 44, 37 have been against a player with some form of title. Of those 37 players, only 13 have a FIDE rating above 2200. This includes WIMs rated 1687, WFM rated 1585, WCM rated 1329 and 1174. A look through the registered players list shows many other such examples.

Without being "old man yells at cloud", seeing a FIDE title beside someone's name used to really mean something and represent someone who'd really done an exceptional amount of work on their game, and for many women (including the two Canadian women who are titled) it's true. I'd be frankly really unhappy if I worked and studied for years to get a title and then saw FIDE hand the same title I have out to players who are essentially recreational or club level players.

Maybe you can make the argument it's growing women's chess. The problem is that if the only way you can progress chess is to give out essentially fake titles, you quickly run out of tricks to keep them engaged. I'm afraid the real motivation is the same as always with FIDE - title applications generate money so they go full Oprah "you get a title, you get a title, everyone gets a title".
    The contrast between chess and tennis (both individual competitions, if you exclude tennis doubles and chess team events) is remarkable.

Tennis has no "titles". There are no Grandmasters of tennis.

Maybe chess needs to be rid of titles altogether?

Hey, maybe there should be a fusion of tennis and chess. "Chennis".

Players play both chess matches and tennis matches against one another. This would definitely qualify as a sport. Chess arbiters are also tennis umpires.

Hey, Chennai India... Chennis .... wow, a marriage made in heaven! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
      Here is Raja's amazing win in the final round. I got it from chess24.com.

GM Carlos Albornoz Cabrera (Cuba, 2566) -- IM Raja Panjwani (Canada, 2450)
      Chennai Olympiad 2022, rd. 11, played Aug. 9, board 2
      Spanish, Berlin Defense, C65
      Brief comments by Frank Dixon

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.d3 Bc5 5.c3 d5 6.exd5 Qxd5
      [The database 365chess.com shows the line as better for White based on known games, but it has been adopted by several super-GMs. To this juncture, we have GM Aronian 9 games, GM Grischuk 7 games, GM Kramnik 5 games. I've also played it myself since high school, and in a couple of training games with Raja some 20 years ago, when I was coaching him. It has some similarities to the much better known Marshall Gambit.]
      7.Bc4 Qd6 8.b4 Bb6
      [At this juncture, there are 17 games at 365chess.com, showing a strong edge to White.]
      9.Nbd2 Bf5!?
      [Only one game now, and it is a recent one: Daggupati -- Espinosa, U.S. Junior Championship, St. Louis, July 7, 2022, won by White!]
      10.a4 Bxd3! 11.a5 Bxf2+!
      [For his piece Black gets two pawns, stops White's King from castling, and prepares castling long! He has excellent compensation.]
      12.Kxf2 O-O-O! 13.Bxd3 Qxd3 14.Re1 e4! 15.Ng5 Qxc3! 16.Ra3 Qd4+! 17.Kf1 Rd5!
      [Black piles on the pressure with relentless accuracy; there may not be a way for White to save the game now.]
      18.Nh3 Rf5+ 19.Ke2 Nd5! 20.Qb3 e3! 21.Nf3 Qg4! 22.Kf1 Nd4! 23.Qc4 Rxf3+! 24.Kg1 Rxh3!, 0-1.
      [In my opinion, this is the most impressive game played by a Canadian at Chennai 2022!!!]
      Beautiful game and a miniature as well! Thanks for posting Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

What was their initial placing?
        Team Canada 49 and Team Canada (Women) 54

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post

Also viewable via chess-results.com at this link: https://chess-results.com/PartieSuch...=36&id=4381267
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Team Canada 49 and Team Canada (Women) 54
            Thanks Hans, but I found the correct starting number for both Team Canada teams ...

Team Canada Men's starting number was 44th ... finished 49th.

Team Canada Women's starting number was 56th ... finished 54th.

Comment

Talking of miniatures, Rd 9 Board 2 (Latvia vs.Canada, open) was only 16 moves!
              I wonder whether that was the shortest in this Olympiad 2022...
              Last edited by Dilip Panjwani; Wednesday, 10th August, 2022, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post

Talking of miniatures, Rd 9 Board 2 (Latvia vs.Canada, open) was only 16 moves!
                I wonder whether that was the shortest in this Olympiad 2022...
                There was an 8 move debacle I played through and I think there were more shorter games that I didnt.
                However nice miniature by Raja against a respected grandmaster!
                ​​​​​​https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=2348612

Comment

Working...
                X