RIP Harry Moore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Harry Moore

Harry Moore has died from complications after heart surgery. He was an irreverent, boisterous character and former BC champion as well as a long standing mainstay of the Victoria chess community.

RIP my sincere condolences to his family.

Comment

Harry was twice BC Champion (1990 and 2002)
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Sad news! During my ten years playing chess in British Columbia (1974-1984), Harry was very active and gradually he achieved master strength. Together with Dan Scoones and Jeff Reeve, Harry formed the Victoria troika. They were part of the environment, and I played them all many times. I particularly remember that if ever we analyzed a position and it got truly complicated, Harry would sing, "If I only had a brain!", after that song in the Wizard of Oz. And for that I will always remember him fondly. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
          Sad news! During my ten years playing chess in British Columbia (1974-1984), Harry was very active and gradually he achieved master strength. Together with Dan Scoones and Jeff Reeve, Harry formed the Victoria troika. They were part of the environment, and I played them all many times. I particularly remember that if ever we analyzed a position and it got truly complicated, Harry would sing, "If I only had a brain!", after that song in the Wizard of Oz. And for that I will always remember him fondly. RIP.
          Rest in peace, Harry Moore.

Gordon, in the mid-seventies, did Harry use the nickname/alias 'Dave'? If so, I think I knew him. Back in the day the Burrard Street YMCA had a common room in which you could find a chess game seven days a week from late morning until midnight. In the 1973-75 period, 'Dave' Moore was a frequent visitor and he and I played many games. I recall Dave telling me that 'Dave' wasn't his legal name but he used it because he liked it better than his real name. He never told me what his real name was.
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Honestly, I don't think this can be the same guy. I remember the Burrard St YMCA chess club quite well, though I seem to recall it being open only on Friday night (though 1973 was before my arrival). Harry Moore was definitely a Victoria boy. I don't recall him living anywhere else. He might have visited the Burrard club on occasion. But I can't recall Harry ever being sensitive about his first name. So, it was probably someone else you played back then.

Comment

I believe David Moore, a name referred to above, is another quite active British Columbia player, rated around 2000, who has long lived in the Interior of the province. He is currently listed as living in Sicamous, on his chess.ca ratings file. I had a high school chess teammate named David Moore, who I lost track of after high school, and have often wondered if that is the same person.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
                Honestly, I don't think this can be the same guy. I remember the Burrard St YMCA chess club quite well, though I seem to recall it being open only on Friday night (though 1973 was before my arrival). Harry Moore was definitely a Victoria boy. I don't recall him living anywhere else. He might have visited the Burrard club on occasion. But I can't recall Harry ever being sensitive about his first name. So, it was probably someone else you played back then.
                Thanks, Gordon. Appreciate your response.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                  I believe David Moore, a name referred to above, is another quite active British Columbia player, rated around 2000, who has long lived in the Interior of the province. He is currently listed as living in Sicamous, on his chess.ca ratings file. I had a high school chess teammate named David Moore, who I lost track of after high school, and have often wondered if that is the same person.
                  Thank you for responding, Frank. Interesting. So perhaps I did know a Dave Moore in mid-seventies Vancouver.

Comment

I know I am heading away from the main theme of this thread, but I do want to follow recent comments, about David Moore. He has been living in the Interior of BC, at least as far back as 1988, based on rating lists from past magazine issues. The David Moore I knew was one year after me in high school, in Deep River, Ontario, graduating in 1977. In high school, he was my friend through chess, golf, and curling; we were on the Mackenzie HS chess team together for three years. I have not seen him since those years. It may be a different person from the one Peter McKillop refers to.

Comment

I saw David Moore at the Okanagan Open in May. I have contact information if you want to get in touch.
                      Paul Leblanc
                      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X