Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Lake Huron ProAm

Lake Huron ProAm 2022
    Lake Huron Chess Club's annual fall tournament returns on the weekend of October 22-23. after two years of pandemic-induced delays. Hal Bond (arbiter for the event) and I (Jeremy) are excited to see you in Port Elgin again! You can visit the tournament website for registration and event details. Updates and registrations lists will be posted on the website and in this thread. Our first event was held in the fall of 2020 and inspired us to schedule another for mid-March 2020 - you can imagine how that turned out. But now we're keen to get back on the horse (knight?) and host players from across the province in beautiful Port Elgin.

Venue
    Port Elgin-Saugeen Central School
    504 Catherine Street, Port Elgin, ON

Tournament Details
    • Format: five-round Swiss
    • Time control: G/90+30
    • Sections: u1400, 1400+, 1800+
      • Entry fees for 1800+ will form the prize pool for that section. Trophies will be awarded to the winners of 1400+ and u1400
    • Arbiter: Hal Bond, IA
    Round times:
    Saturday: 10:00am, 2:00pm , 6:30pm
    Sunday: 10:00am, 2:30pm

Snacks and coffee will be provided free throughout the weekend.

Registration
    Visit the website to register. Registration fees and payments will be handled by Hal Bond. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask them here or to submit them through the contact form. An active CFC membership or the single-tournament fee will be required. CFC renewals and registrations can be handled at the event if need be.

Registrations fees are as follows:
    • Before August 30: $50
    • After August 30: $60
    • At the door: $70
    If you are within 100 rating points of the next section up, you have the option of paying an addition $10 to play up.

The Saugeen Shores Area
    Both Port Elgin and Southampton (the two towns that make up Saugeen Shores) have a number of excellent food options, including independent and chain restaurants. If you prefer individual accommodations, there are many cottages and AirBnB locations available in the area.

in lieu of a formal group rate announcement yet, the Holiday Inn in town is new and I've heard good things about it. There's also the Super 8 which has an indoor, year-round pool and standard hotel accommodations.

Located on the shores of Lake Huron, the area boasts significant natural beauty, and, if weather and time permit, several gorgeous beaches. The Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre is found 5 minutes away in Southampton, and is an excellent destination between rounds if you have a short game, or if you have additional kids/family members coming with you. Port Elgin also has a number of great parts for outdoor relaxation and fun.

Current List (October 18)
    Hugh Siddeley 2108
    Ken Ferguson 2100
    Alex Ferraira 2043
    Mahmud Hussain 1960
    Hal Bond 1728
    Raj Verma 1707
    April Zhong 1698
    Justin Manchester 1693
    Michael von Keitz 1675
    Ryan Zhong 1587
    Sam Chen 1274
    Rushikesh Patil 1231
    Jeremy Clark 1016
    Caleb Langridge 1014
    Alec Holla 982
    Nigel Hotton 810
    Tonu Aun unr.
    Mitch Bingham unr.
    Dominick Harvie unr.
    Hirav Nagori unr.
    Craig Langridge unr.
    Skylar Leblanc unr.
    James Ruggiero unr.
    Praanay Raghuraman unr.
    Trevor O'Brien unr.
    Last edited by Ffen Liv; Tuesday, 18th October, 2022, 12:28 PM.

After some digging, it seems this is October 22 & 23 ... FYI
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      After some digging, it seems this is October 22 & 23 ... FYI
      Thanks, Kerry. I read my draft of that over and over for typos and never noticed I left the date out entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Ffen Liv View Post

Thanks, Kerry. I read my draft of that over and over for typos and never noticed I left the date out entirely.
        :) No worries... proof-reading one's own work is hard and may be inferior to getting someone else to read it over.

I suspect the dates are one of the most important pieces of info...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Jeremy,

please add information when rounds will start.

Port Elgin is indeed a cool town. Though we mostly go to the MacGregor point provincial park with the great dog beach (5 min from Port Elgin). The last year was quite warm and we managed to swim in Huron lake in October.

Comment

I may be in Meaford then, and so I'm interested. The Lake Huron and Georgian Bay shorelines are great.

Bob A

Comment

A pair of updates:
              • Sections will be U1400, 1400+, and 1800+
              • Round times are now noted in the first post and on the website, and will be:
                • Saturday: 10:00am, 2:00pm, 6:30pm
                • Sunday: 10:00am, 2:30pm

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              I may be in Meaford then, and so I'm interested. The Lake Huron and Georgian Bay shorelines are great.

Bob A
              That's good to hear! If anyone has any questions about the tournament or the area I'd be happy to answer.

Comment

Ah I live on Manitoulin Island now and would have loved to come over on the Chi-Cheemaun, but it looks like it stops running the weekend before the tournament!

Might have to drive anyway :).

Comment

Hope to see you here, Matt. Sorry it took me so long to respond - I completely missed your reply at the time.

For everyone else, I have an updated registration list to post:
                  Michelle Hua 1913
                  Omaray Shah 1856
                  Justin Manchester 1693
                  Rushikesh Patil 1017
                  Caleb Langridge 1014
                  Alec Holla 982
                  Nigel Hotton 810
                  Craig Langridge unr.
                  James Ruggiero unr.
                  As a reminder, the sections are U-1400, U-1800, and 1800+. If you're on the fence about registering and have any questions about the event or the area, don't hesitate to ask.

Comment

Hi Ffen:

I have registered.

I cannot find the name of the building where the tournament is being played in Port Elgin, or an address.

Bob A
                    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 7th September, 2022, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for registering, Bob.

We have a venue confirmed, but are waiting on the possibility of another location (both cheaper and nicer). One way or the other, the venue details will be posted here and on the website by the middle of next week.

Jeremy

Hi Ffen:

I have registered.

I cannot find the name of the building where the tournament is being played in Port Elgin, or an address.

Bob A

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Ffen. Looking forward to the tournament.

Bob A

Comment

Back with another update. We're very excited to be hosting everyone in just a few weeks. And an update on the format: Entry fees in the Pro (1800+) section will be returned as prize money.
                          Omaray Shah 1856
                          Raj Verma 1707
                          Justin Manchester 1693
                          Sam Chen 1274
                          Rushikesh Patil 1231
                          Caleb Langridge 1014
                          Alec Holla 982
                          Nigel Hotton 810
                          Tonu Aun unr.
                          Mitch Bingham unr.
                          Dominick Harvie unr.
                          Hirav Nagori unr.
                          Craig Langridge unr.
                          Skylar Leblanc unr.
                          James Ruggiero unr.
                          As a reminder, the sections are U-1400, U-1800, and 1800+. If you're on the fence about registering and have any questions about the event or the area, don't hesitate to ask.
                          Last edited by Ffen Liv; Friday, 30th September, 2022, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Hi Ffen:

Two weeks ago, I sent my regrets to Hal Bond, that I would, unfortunately have to withdraw......I was looking quite forward to playing. I now will not be in Meaford, Ontario that weekend.

I have been dealing with Hal concerning my registration fee refund.

Hope it is a most successful tournament.......maybe next year.

Bob Armstrong

Comment

Hi Ffen:

Two weeks ago, I sent my regrets to Hal Bond, that I would, unfortunately have to withdraw......I was looking quite forward to playing. I now will not be in Meaford, Ontario that weekend.

I have been dealing with Hal concerning my registration fee refund.

Hope it is a most successful tournament.......maybe next year.

Bob Armstrong
                              Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it.

Comment

Working...
                              X