2022 Lake Huron ProAm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again everyone. Things continue to shape up nicely for the tournament later this month with a few additions to the u1800 and Pro sections. A number of local players have commented on how excited they are for an event in their own area, including several tournament new-comers, eager to explore the chess scene.

As a reminder (because it wasn't in the original post) all entry fees in the Pro/1800+ section will be returned as prize money.
    Alex Ferraira 2043
    Mahmud Hussain 1960
    Omaray Shah 1856
    Raj Verma 1707
    Justin Manchester 1693
    Michael von Keitz 1675
    Sam Chen 1274
    Rushikesh Patil 1231
    Jeremy Clark 1016
    Caleb Langridge 1014
    Alec Holla 982
    Nigel Hotton 810
    Tonu Aun unr.
    Mitch Bingham unr.
    Dominick Harvie unr.
    Hirav Nagori unr.
    Craig Langridge unr.
    Skylar Leblanc unr.
    James Ruggiero unr.
    Praanay Raghuraman unr.
    Trevor O'Brien unr.
    Last edited by Ffen Liv; Wednesday, 12th October, 2022, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Hello again folks. There are just 10 days to go before the tournament starts. If you're thinking about registering or have any questions, now's the time to get in touch! Though a group rate proved impossible, there are several hotels in town, including:

Travelodge (Wyndham)
      Super 8 Port Elgin (Wyndham)
      Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Port Elgin also has an active AirBnB scene, as it's a tourist destination throughout the year.
      Hugh Siddeley 2108
      Ken Ferguson 2100
      Alex Ferraira 2043
      Mahmud Hussain 1960
      Hal Bond 1728
      Raj Verma 1707
      Justin Manchester 1693
      Michael von Keitz 1675
      Sam Chen 1274
      Rushikesh Patil 1231
      Jeremy Clark 1016
      Caleb Langridge 1014
      Alec Holla 982
      Nigel Hotton 810
      Tonu Aun unr.
      Mitch Bingham unr.
      Dominick Harvie unr.
      Hirav Nagori unr.
      Craig Langridge unr.
      Skylar Leblanc unr.
      James Ruggiero unr.
      Praanay Raghuraman unr.
      Trevor O'Brien unr.
      Last edited by Ffen Liv; Friday, 14th October, 2022, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the update Jeremy!

I have decided to play and Chair the Appeals Committee. My rated self is a little nervous but it has been too long! I am pleased to have secured the services of Omar Shah as Chief Arbiter. We will have a number DGTs broadcasting the top games. Looking forward to a great weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by Ffen Liv View Post
          Hello again folks. There are just 10 days to go before the tournament starts. If you're thinking about registering or have any questions, now's the time to get in touch! Though a group rate proved impossible, there are several hotels in town, including:

Travelodge (Wyndham)
          Super 8 Port Elgin (Wyndham)
          Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Port Elgin also has an active AirBnB scene, as it's a tourist destination throughout the year.

Alex Ferraira 2043
          Mahmud Hussain 1960
          Omaray Shah 1856
          Raj Verma 1707
          Justin Manchester 1693
          Michael von Keitz 1675
          Sam Chen 1274
          Rushikesh Patil 1231
          Jeremy Clark 1016
          Caleb Langridge 1014
          Alec Holla 982
          Nigel Hotton 810
          Tonu Aun unr.
          Mitch Bingham unr.
          Dominick Harvie unr.
          Hirav Nagori unr.
          Craig Langridge unr.
          Skylar Leblanc unr.
          James Ruggiero unr.
          Praanay Raghuraman unr.
          Trevor O'Brien unr.
          Ffen, is there any reason why I was removed from the registered list? I am listed on the original post of this thread but not yesterday's...

Hal, did you get my e-transfer from October 7th? I just double-checked and can forward you the email confirmation it was sent. Please let me know what I'm missing. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry Hugh - that was just an error while copying that table between the first and last posts. Sorry about that! You should be all set to go.

Comment

Hello again, chess lovers. I'm back with what will be one of the last few updates before the games begin this weekend. We've added a few more names to the top two sections and are very excited to welcome everyone on Saturday morning. Of course, it's not too late to register if you're interested. \

You can find all the tournament details and registration at https://www.lakehuronchess.com, by posting here, by email at info@lakehuronchess.com, or by finding the Lake Huron Chess Club on Facebook.
              Hugh Siddeley 2108
              Ken Ferguson 2100
              Alex Ferraira 2043
              Mahmud Hussain 1960
              Hal Bond 1728
              Raj Verma 1707
              April Zhong 1698
              Justin Manchester 1693
              Michael von Keitz 1675
              Ryan Zhong 1587
              Sam Chen 1274
              Rushikesh Patil 1231
              Jeremy Clark 1016
              Caleb Langridge 1014
              Alec Holla 982
              Nigel Hotton 810
              Tonu Aun unr.
              Mitch Bingham unr.
              Dominick Harvie unr.
              Hirav Nagori unr.
              Craig Langridge unr.
              Skylar Leblanc unr.
              James Ruggiero unr.
              Praanay Raghuraman unr.
              Trevor O'Brien unr.
              Last edited by Ffen Liv; Tuesday, 18th October, 2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

It's been 2 days since the tournament finished and nary a word from the organizer about the final results, standings, and a tournament recap have been given. Also, we have no idea what the prizes were. Ffen, the world (Hans) wants to know what happened! Please give us a final update.

Comment

Thanks Jeremy and Hal for putting on the event.
                  ~25 players, split in two sections.

U1200:
                  - I believe Alec Holla won the U1200 section with a perfect score (?)
                  - honourable mention to Caleb Langridge, who probably got 2nd place, and is only 6 or 7 years old.
                  - the majority of this section was composed of unrated players. About 10 unrated players total. Good for the local scene, something is building up here.

Top Section:
                  - Hugh Siddeley cruised through the field, conceding only a draw to Mahmud Hussain, who finished 2nd place in the top section.
                  - The Zhong siblings finished middle of the pack, but were seeded near the bottom, so must have picked up a chunk of points.
                  - Ken Ferguson (returning after many years away from chess) and myself played the donor role, shedding 100+ points combined.

------

It was a modest turn out. Port Elgin is a neat little town and the weather was beautiful. I suppose, with everything else that's going on chess-wise, across SW Ontario, not many people wanted to take the 3-hour drive out to Lake Huron. Understandable, but also a bit of a pity. The tournament was played in a school gym, and can sit 100-120 players comfortably. Jeremy Clark, the organizer, is building the scene (along with the chess club at the local library) and has been able to collect sponsorship monies from regional companies. Hoping to see this tournament take place again next year, especially since my results can't get any worse than what they were this time around!

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Thanks for the event report Alex!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                      It's been 2 days since the tournament finished and nary a word from the organizer about the final results, standings, and a tournament recap have been given. Also, we have no idea what the prizes were. Ffen, the world (Hans) wants to know what happened! Please give us a final update.
                      Still ain't heard nuthin' from this Ffen Liv character. Hal, how well do you know him? Could he have absconded with all the sponsorship and entry fee monies? I've got a trail of beer tabs to pay off from Bruce County... LFG!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
                        Also, we have no idea what the prizes were.

Are you saying that before the last round it was not on the wall? or just how they split them?

Comment

Hi Folks - sorry for the delay. All is well, I am just slower.

Standings. Lake Huron Pro-Am: Pro Section
                          # Name Rating Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Total
                          1 Hugh Siddeley 2108 W7 D2 W6 W9 W3 4.5
                          2 Mahmud Hassain 1960 W3 D1 W8 W6 D7 4.0
                          3 Ryan Yunhui Zhong 1587 L2 D7 W4 W5 L1 2.5
                          4 Sam Chen 1350 D5 L8 L3 B--- W6 2.5
                          5 Hal Bond 1728 D4 H--- D9 L3 B--- 2.5
                          6 April Yunwei Zhong 1698 W8 W9 L1 L2 L4 2.0
                          7 Raj Verma 1707 L1 D3 H--- D8 D2 2.0
                          8 Ken Ferguson 2100 L6 W4 L2 D7 D9 2.0
                          9 Alex T. Ferreira 2043 W10 L6 D5 L1 D8 2.0
                          10 Michael von Keitz 1675 L9 --- --- --- --- 0.0

Standings. Lake Huron Pro-Am: Unrated and Below 1400
                          # Name Rating Rd 1 Rd 2 Rd 3 Rd 4 Rd 5 Total
                          1 Alec Holla 982 W10 W8 W3 W2 W4 5.0
                          2 Caleb Langridge 1024 W5 W4 W9 L1 W3 4.0
                          3 James Ruggiero unr. W13 W12 L1 W9 L2 3.0
                          4 Trevor O'Brien unr. B--- L2 W11 X10 L1 3.0
                          5 Paul Kuratczyk 1323 L2 L10 W13 W14 W8 3.0
                          6 Dominick Harvie unr. W11 L9 W12 L8 W13 3.0
                          7 Jeremy Clark 1016 L12 W14 L10 W11 W9 3.0
                          8 Nigel Hotton 810 H--- L1 W14 W6 L5 2.5
                          9 Adam Bell unr. W14 W6 L2 L3 L7 2.0
                          10 Skylar Leblanc unr. L1 W5 W7 F4 --- 2.0
                          11 Noah Rollinson unr. L6 W13 L4 L7 W14 2.0
                          12 Tobias Scholfield unr. W7 L3 L6 H--- --- 1.5
                          13 Emma Rollinson unr. L3 L11 L5 B--- L6 1.0
                          14 Praanay Raghuraman unr. L9 L7 L8 L5 L11 0.0

Thanks so much Jeremy for hosting this tournament again. The prize fund will be distributed presently.

It was great to hang out with Jeremy and our winner Hugh Siddeley along with vice champion Mahmud Hassain, as well as Alex Ferreira and CA Omar Shah post event,
                          Caleb Langridge is a local talent worth watching. Six years old.

Comment

Sorry for the delay everyone - life was a bit hectic following the tournament. The total prize money and structure had not been posted prior to the final round, which is my fault. Sorry if that caused frustration for anyone! I had put together the final tables just now, but I see Hal has beaten me to it. I'll leave the links, in case anyone wants a PDF copy of the tables.

Prize money (the sum of entry fees in the top section) is $520, paid out as:: 1st: $260 2nd: $200 3rd: $60 (shared between the players tied for third, not including Hal Bond). I'll be in touch by email with the winners to arrange the transfers.

Pro Section Final Standings

Under 1400 Final Standings

Tournament Wrap-up
                            Thanks to everyone who came this past weekend to compete. The local chess scene here has certainly grown since we last did this before the pandemic, and it was pleasure to welcome everyone who traveled here. As Alex has already posted, Hugh had a very strong weekend, as did Mahmud. Alec was quite pleased with his 5.0, and 6-year-old Caleb Langridge's only blemish was against Alec.

We're working towards another event in the spring of next year, and we're looking forward to seeing some repeat faces. Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                            X