X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Who Enjoy Discussing Climate Change..... Not Chess Related

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...src=newsletter

Re: For Those Who Enjoy Discussing Climate Change..... Not Chess Related

Nice to move it out of the ponderous " Welcome to the Depression " thread.

Bob

Comment

I guess that I am sick and tired of the alarmists screaming the sky is falling when their political agenda is pretty obvious as well. I tend to automatically ignore anything from 'environmentalist pimps'... people like Greenpeace who make their livings scaring people out of money. I remember listening to a local talk radio stations who had one of the founders of Greenpeace on it... he described Greenpeace as a '300 million dollar global corporation that makes its money scaring people to donate'. When there is a scientific debate that is one thing... people screaming and protesting outside economic summits are another...

Comment

A local university professor (U of Waterloo philosophy?) is so upset over this he is going around making speeches saying that global warming is a hoax and the government is spending too much money investigating this. I only know him through music. He runs the KW Chamber Music Society. Ive only caught some pieces of his speeches in the local news. Obviously some people (much more informed than I am) have strong views on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
          I guess that I am sick and tired of the alarmists screaming the sky is falling when their political agenda is pretty obvious as well. I tend to automatically ignore anything from 'environmentalist pimps'... people like Greenpeace who make their livings scaring people out of money. I remember listening to a local talk radio stations who had one of the founders of Greenpeace on it... he described Greenpeace as a '300 million dollar global corporation that makes its money scaring people to donate'. When there is a scientific debate that is one thing... people screaming and protesting outside economic summits are another...
          From this I don't get: is there a climate change in your opinion (knowledge)? If yes, is it a human initiated during last hundreds (one or two)?

Comment

If you put "George Will" and "Climate Change" in google, this is the first article not in the Washington Post--

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...al-george-will

--it makes fun of Will's articles.

This one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032002660.html

is a rebuttal in the same newspaper!

Both articles respond to earlier George Will pennings.

I think that the biggest pitfall in discussing any scientific subject is to separate what's relevant from what isn't--the wheat from the chaff. In this case:

climate change is a fact: stones and fossils record almost unimaginably different earths tens of thousands to millions of years in the past. What Climate Change (capitals) is about is whether there is a component caused by Man, how much that component is, and what to do about it, if anything.

Weather events (such as Port Alberni's 42 degree day during the summer heat wave) are irrelevant in the discussion.

Localized climate change may be unimportant, or it may be crucial. For example, interruption of the Gulf Stream, if it happens as some models predict, would severely affect the lives of hundreds of millions of people.

Localized climate change may not have the meaning that you think it does. For example, the extent of seasonal Arctic sea ice cover. Does that mean warming or cooling? When pan-Arctic glaciers (such as in Greenland) melt or break away, they produce water (as opposed to sea water). Water floats on sea water. Water freezes more readily than sea water. So warming can cause a greater winter Artic ice cover. More study is required. You have to understand the mechanism. In pure science, you come up with a theory and then make a prediction. But Earth isn't a test tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              From this I don't get: is there a climate change in your opinion (knowledge)? If yes, is it a human initiated during last hundreds (one or two)?
              Myself, I am convinced the climate change crisis is real! Am I being gullible and manipulated? For the sake of the planet, I sure hope so!:o

But remember, not so long ago, they told us house prices NEVER go down, the financial system was SOUND! Several trillion dollars later, hmmm, were not so sure anymore. Sometimes it pays to listen to the alarmists!

I just had a brainstorm on getting the government to spend some money on the environment. We just put WALL STREET in charge of the environment. Then after they create a bubble, burst it, panic everyone, then ask for another trillion dollar government bailout! Voila, planet saved!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Nice to move it out of the ponderous " Welcome to the Depression " thread.

Bob

Yes. Going through more than 500 posts to find the new one gives the term "depression" and entirely different meaning. :)

Anyhow, our forests are currently relatively safe. Paper companies are cutting back for lack of markets and pricing. Also to some extent to lack of wood chips. The Americans seem to be subsidizing their paper makers though the "Black Liquor" rebate. Black Liquor is a byproduct and has been known for a long time. Then there's the softwood lumber. Good old American protectionism.

So, do you think that makes the governments, who aren't getting the tax revenue, and the people who are unemployed, feel better or worse?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

If you think all alarmists are nuts, go to the nearest beach, dig a hole in the sand and put your head in it. Get a friend to fill in the space with sand. If you start running out of breath, do not panic flailing your arms and legs about or people will think you're an alarmist. Simply hold still and the situation will resolve itself.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!"
                  Who said that?

Comment

When there is a scientific debate that is one thing... people screaming and protesting outside economic summits are another...
                    Like it or not, change arises from conflict. Slavery, Wage Slavery, Genocide, ... only (noble) Men (landowners) eligible to vote--are all gone from the civilized world. Not because they were scientifically untenable.

Greenpeace is strident and unsexy. Hollywood can be more subtle. But arrayed on the side of the status quo are the best professional persuaders (the ones who convinced us to buy things throughout the Consumer Age), backed by gigantic resources. By law they have to maximize profit$, not promulgate truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                      A local university professor (U of Waterloo philosophy?) is so upset over this he is going around making speeches saying that global warming is a hoax and the government is spending too much money investigating this. I only know him through music. He runs the KW Chamber Music Society. Ive only caught some pieces of his speeches in the local news. Obviously some people (much more informed than I am) have strong views on this subject.
                      As an atmospheric scientist myself, I find it perplexing when philosophers make pronouncements about science. As a species, humans have the ability to induce changes of massive proportion on our world. How we deal with those changes is maybe the realm of politicians, economists, philosophers etc. and not the place of scientist. To claim a conspiracy by atmospheric scientist (fluid dynamicists, chemists, climatologists, etc.) is to really misunderstand how science operates.

The scientists studying anthropogenic climate change don't have any ax to grind. To call climate change a hoax is absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                        How we deal with those changes is maybe the realm of politicians, economists, philosophers etc. and not the place of scientist.
                        True.

I think it is a good sign that China started a turning point in its thoughts about climate/environment and its influence on the change.

Comment

Hi Steve,

What do you think of factors such as Milankovic Cycles? According to such cycles, we are overdue by a couple of thousand years for an ice age. What do you think about the data supporting evidence greenhouse gases such as CO2 have already reached a saturation point in the atmosphere (meaning extra addition does not add a greater greenhouse effect - for others) and now a more dangerous addition could be something like the release of clathrates (which contain Methane)? This gas has not reached its saturation point in the atmosphere. Curious to know from someone in the know. I think a scientific perspective is paramount here, but It seems amazing how little people want to focus on data versus supposition. There is no denying climate change. Its always been happening, at least data from evidence such as ice cores in Greenland strongly suggests this.

Mavros

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                            To call climate change a hoax is absurd.
                            Mostly discussion seem to evolve around cause and effect.

As an example, is co2 a cause of climate change or a result?

From my observation, a lot of people make a lot of money from climate change. Around here they go door to door selling solutions.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

To see Today's posts on a very long thread : switch display mode to linear mode ; click on the thread you want to read ; go to the end of page with CTRL-END or the like. Three or four clicks and there you go.

The toolbar with New Posts, Quick Links, etc. might also be of help.
                              Last edited by Benoit St-Pierre; Thursday, 1st October, 2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X