Magnus has withdrawn from Sinquefeld Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnus has withdrawn from Sinquefeld Cup

As of round 4 Magnus did not show up for his game and has tweeted his withdrawal from the tournament.

WoW! Hans Niemann has really shaken up the tournament!

Nick would have said "ridic".

Comment

KO badge !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	KnockOutBadge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.0 KB ID:	221515

Awarded to GM Hans Niemann

Comment

Im reading about allegations of possible cheating by Hans Niemann. Not sure if Carlsen is now refusing to play or boycotting the tournament because Hans has been known to cheat online in the past or if Carlsen thought Niemann was cheating during their game. I dont have an opinion on him cheating either way. But I have noticed a propensity to accuse people of cheating when a player beats a much stronger opponent. Apparently allot of the top GM's have made similar comments...Just stumbled on this this morning

https://worldchess.com/news/all/did-...e-info-so-far/

Comment

Magnus could end the speculation by simply explaining himself. By not doing so he is shaming himself instead, irrespective of his reasons for withdrawing. If he feels ill he should say so, if he has a personal issue he should say so, if he thinks his opponent cheated he should say so. For those who are intimating that Niemann may have been cheating, would they please explain how he might have managed it, given the levels of security and anti-cheating protocols that are in place. We already know that Magnus has chosen not to continue as World Champion, and now this. To me Magnus is the one who looks suspect in this situation, and he will continue to look suspect until such time as he offers an explanation. He would save the chess world a lot of trouble and embarrassment by speaking up as to why he walked out. Keeping his mouth shut is not the correct approach at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
            We already know that Magnus has chosen not to continue as World Champion, and now this. To me Magnus is the one who looks suspect in this situation, and he will continue to look suspect until such time as he offers an explanation. He would save the chess world a lot of trouble and embarrassment by speaking up as to why he walked out. Keeping his mouth shut is not the correct approach at this time.
            I agree and again I don't really have an opinion as to whether Hans was cheating or not but yes not defending the title and now walking away after a loss optically looks a certain way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
              if he thinks his opponent cheated he should say so.
              In today's litigious society, this isn't quite as simple as you indicate. A cheating accusation, even if honestly believed, can't really be made if you don't have iron clad proof, especially if you have the standing in the world of chess that Carlsen does given the impact it would have on that player's career.

I think it's well within his right to refuse to play if he believes the player is cheating whether he's afraid of being cheated against or whether he just wants to make a moral stand on the issue; there were a few players over my years in chess who I considered suspect (including one that was barred for an extended period for cheating) and I often wondered if I'd be willing to play them. Hypothetically I always imagined refusing to play; whether I would have done so in reality, I dunno.

Comment

What Hans Niemann has accomplished is brilliant! He has upset the tournament, upset Magnus - caused more attention to the tournament then if Magnus stayed playing and he's playing incredible chess. Magnificent!
                I think his example against Firoujza is going to inspire more insane attacks against the king and I love it!

Comment

https://forum.killerchesstraining.co...4ZW-IZXiI8GBpk This from Jacob Aagaard who has trained Hans Niemann.

Comment

Magnus is a founder and part owner of the Play Magnus Group (PMG), a listed company that owns several chess properties including chess24, chessable, New In Chess, Everyman Chess, and more. In 2020 and 2021, PMG lost about $35 million. For 2022, management promised investors to at least break even by the end of the year. I'm sure a lot of hard work and hard decisions went into the attempt including layoffs during the summer to cut costs. I'm guessing they were not wildly successful at achieving this. PMG's stock price fell over 50% in 2022. On Aug 24 (less than 2 weeks ago) they accepted chess.com's offer to buy PMG.

So, one possibility is that Magnus has been a little distracted lately by non-OTB things that his ability & desire to play top-level chess was affected.
                    Last edited by Don Parakin; Tuesday, 6th September, 2022, 12:24 PM.

Comment

PlayMagnus has just been sold to chess.com for 82 millions. There are no worries there, I think.

Comment

If Magnus thinks Hans Nieman is cheating, I think we should give him at least the benefit of the doubt. Nieman sounds weird and inconsistent in his game analysis with Alejandro Ramirez. Also he is not a very likeable person from what I've seen of him, so far. Time will tell in his case.

Comment

But as MVL wisely said, innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3zNrvO8b4&t=840s

Based on his interview after R4 game with Firouzja, he seems pretty guilty.
                            Just nervous energy and his analysis didn't make much sense.
                            I'm 2250 but I think anyone over 2000 can sense that.

Comment

Aagards's comments seem pretty much on point here. The people talking about Nieman's low level of analysis..look he made an intuitive sacrifice and missed a defensive idea of Qe7-c5 with Bd8 in one of the variations. If the position had appeared on the board he probably would have seen it and played something other than f4. Anyway, it worked in the game and he got a great position. Most top players don't play this way anymore, but obviously he didn't get the memo. Also, and more to the point, it's not how computers play..you really think he has an accomplice who is smart enough to propose anti-computer moves to throw people off, and design a cheating system that thwarts all security measures, including a 15 minute broadcast delay?

In the game against Magnus he just got lucky in his preparation. He was planning the Nimzo, he knows Magnus isn't going to play one of the theoretical lines with qc2 or f3, so there are only so many sidelines to prepare for, g3/Nf3 stuff or some quiet lines starting with e3. As many people have said there's nothing suspicious about this game. Black played well, but nothing outside the level that a 2650 couldn't manage on his best day.

Comment

Working...
                              X